Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for SEO

Thanks
    not even a blip in the regular Google organic search traffic pattern for TFSA over that period.
    There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that 2010 algo changes had an impact at the fringes particularly long tail traffic but the heart of SEO, it's traffic and the make up of the traffic has remained very stable.

The Title and Link are two of the most important aspects of SEO. Working your keywords into them are important

According to my knowledge Google does not use meta titles at all any more for ranking as well as description and keywords

What is your thoughts on the above ?
    Meta title tags and Descriptions should be used as a point of differentiation in the SERP's(Search Engine Results Pages). Use them to make an impact, eg instead of saying Carpenter Cape Town say "Cape Town's best Carpenter - Guaranteed Quality"
    then in the meta description write a classified ad using 160 characters. In general Google display around 160 characters so you may as well use up the space they give you. This Meta description displays in the SERP's under the title. Both Meta Titles and Descriptions DO count towards the algo calculation but their weight has been reduced. In the above example the phrase Carpenter Cape Town is still within the proposed Meta Title though not in the same order, this is fine for SEO purposes AND helps you attract more clicks by selling to your customer instead of informing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OnlineMarketing View Post
    There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that 2010 algo changes had an impact at the fringes particularly long tail traffic but the heart of SEO, it's traffic and the make up of the traffic has remained very stable.
    Well that would make it "business as usual" then, surely?

What Francois linked to effectively claims a significant event, which is something rather different.

BTW - at 23000+ keywords over two months, I think we can safely assume a fair amount of long-tail in there

Thanks
    Spot on Dave, yes i was agreeing with you. I am sure you get plenty of long tail traffic and as the forum has a history the long tail mix may have changed but areas where you have lost have probably been replaced by areas where you have gained. In general though strong SEO should be increasing traffic, if you are getting traffic from 23000 keywords, the scope is almost certainly in the top 100, if you are ranking say in position 8 for one of those and you move to number 1, you could expect a 1000-1500% increase in traffic from that one phrase. I am sure you know that and if you are getting traffic from so many phrases i am sure you know your onions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Duncan View Post
    These tips are really great and helpful but i am looking for some techniques to optimize keywords within 24 hours. I know that the keywords will be of low search volumes but what else i can do to optimize those keywords within 24 hours and bring them in google search results
    Facebook has an awesome application called Networkedblogs - syndicate your blog with it and see magic happening - remember your keywords need to be linked to your site!!

Thanks
    Great tips.
    I understand they take time to produce results but in my case there must be something I am not doing right. I managed to monitor Alexa and drove it to less than 200 000 then I thought that will result into traffic but it is still far less than my expectations. Search engine traffic averages 200/day and I seriously need expect SEO service. My site is www.phuzemthonjeni.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Thembadl View Post
    I understand they take time to produce results but in my case there must be something I am not doing right.
    That has to be the most ad intensive "content" website I've visited ever. How many ad programs have you got running there? I spotted Adsense, Adbrite, LinkAds (or something along those lines), a pop up which my browser blocked, a pop under which my browser didn't block for some reason, + some affiiate ads...

on one page!!!

I struggled to find the content. I did find some message spam - same profile posting the same message over and over.

Now seriously, why would you recommend a person go to that website?

And that's the way you have to think about search engines. If a human wouldn't recommend the site... well, the major search engines are trying their best to evaluate sites and pages to recommend in much the same way.

You need to ask yourself - why have I got this website? If it's to generate maximum ad and affiliate income, the content needs to be quality, tight, in line with the domain name if possible and the ads need to be relevant. And forget building a community based social media website - it doesn't produce a high eCPM. Rather write a page a day or a page a week on something targetted, useful and has a healthy search volume. You'll make more money.

If you're genuinely trying to build a community based website, lose at least 75% of the ads.

Thanks
    Thank you Dave for your comments. Yes that is all true such that I don't even know where pop-ups are coming from. I understand you clearly, I guess that is as far as I can go because in both approaches you have suggested content will have to be adjusted. I would like to follow community based approach.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Backlinks, backlinks, backlinks! lol. These are a +1 vote to your site/URL for every link you have which means Google thinks your link is worth more.

Of course you want fresh, newly updated content. Google loves new content and even has a specific search for it. Add content as often as possible!

Submit your content to bookmarking sites but you probably already know this since you are a seasoned Webmaster/SEOer.

Deep Linking is critical. Most webmasters don't get this but naturally a website gets deep links to the URLs of content, not to the homepage. You need to make linkbacks to the content in your site.

SEO Friendly URLs are critical to high ranking.

You need the keywords/phrases in your title in order to rank high. Make sure they are part of your title!

Thanks
    Thank you Limo, I try backlinks as much as possible. With links, would you recommend buying links?
    Title and keywords, I am sure you don't mean loading tittle with keywords? Would you regard this as sufficient: "Free Career and Entrepreneurial Opportunities"?

Suspended
    Thanks
    Being new in the online business and therefore new in SEO, I’m extremely confused on what the best way is to deal with this.

There are so many tips and tricks out there, but also the same amount of information claiming that all this doesn’t work. We can see that in this thread already!

What it looks like to me is that you’ll only be able optimize your SEO when you make it your fulltime job. If you, like me, actually want to run a company as well, this is not really an option.

So I’m thinking about outsourcing my SEO. Are there any tips and advice about this? Is this a good idea and if so, how to deal with this? And if not, why not?
    I don’t want to go out there unprepared, there are a lot of false promises, I want a bit more then that!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast