Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: books vs ebook

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    dfsa...

Interesting views but reality bites. all our schools use paper textbooks.
    Have you been to rural areas, you know, the places where they make fire to keep warm and don't have electricity, tablets have zero value in these areas.

You're not a collector are you...by the same token, why do people spend millions on paintings, cars or model trains for that matter.

No my friend, you need to think these things through, the world is a big place where many different people have many different needs.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (28-Jun-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Interesting views but reality bites. all our schools use paper textbooks.
    Have you been to rural areas, you know, the places where they make fire to keep warm and don't have electricity, tablets have zero value in these areas.
    I have seen Poverty that will make you cry from Today till next Year non stop!! Did some work in: Mozambique,Malawi,Botswana,Angola,Kenia,Tanzania,U ganda,Gongo,Zimbabwe,Lesotho,Gabon, Zambia ( Refused to do work in Nigeria)

In the mid to late ninety's was semi involved with installing wireless Phones by the Thousands in what you call (the places where they make fire to keep warm and don't have electricity)Rural South Africa. Ooo yes the Huts are built from clay and straw. Yes they use fire to keep warm & cook, but right in the center of the some huts is a Pole, or looking around on the walls, you find one
    15A plug socket. The wireless phones still needed power to operate.

the places where they make fire to keep warm and don't have electricity.
    Don't just drive up and down your street, get out there and get yourself exposed. You will actually be surprised. Do you think our power problem is the result that you use more power? Nope,

Do you think that as we speak all coal power stations that was de-commissioned early Ninety's ( 1990-1995 they were not commercially viable any more) are being re-vamped to supply you with extra power.. Nope.

The spike in mass electricity infrastructure is the main reason.

You're not a collector are you...by the same token, why do people spend millions on paintings, cars or model trains for that matter.
    Who knows maybe, just maybe I do little investments, but I am for sure not going to create something that will have absolutely no financial benefit for my in my life time.

The people who spend millions, well they have too much money and do not know what to do with it. What is the use of owning a paper book worth 1mil and you can not read it, as when you touch it you actually do damage to it.

The creators of the books and paintings were mainly poor people in their life time. So basically what you suggest is that robinsonwang must create a paper book and make 10% profit from the publisher, that is if he find one that will be interested, and then hope that in 100 Years or more somebody decide they will pay a few thousand rand for it.

No,No I can not speak for robinsonwang, but I am 99% sure he want to make profit and good profit from his efforts Today while he is alive and kicking.

tablets have zero value in these areas.
    Based on your assumption of no electricity!! What country do you think has the most cell phone users in relation to their population? Yep, you wouldn't have guessed huh. SA is right there in the top, if not at the top. My question? How the crack do we keep those Phones charged? Especially in the rural arias?

Simple answer: You do not need power from Escom to charge your Phone or Tablet for that matter.

Something interesting for you to think about: Why are Cars in South Africa Just about the most expensive in the WORLD? Yet cars in the rest of Africa are 1/3 of what it cost us. You answer this one and I will explain to you how Google and China is going to supply the rural aria's with tablets. ( Hint:: Recycling)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    ...eish...let me rather just keep quiet...it'll be better all round...

Thanks
    Reality Bites

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You know, there comes a point when a discussion becomes rediculous, you reached that point. I will rather bow out of the discussion than get into a nonsensical pissing contest with you.

I am sure that you are going to come right back with another clever comment but then, that is the way of those who perpetuate pissing contests...

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (29-Jun-12)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsa View Post
    Reality Bites
    Funny that... Collator’s value is the dream of any artist. Becoming one of the greats is a dream for most writers. Yes they want to make money now but the truth is a first copy collectible with a signature will always remain a popular item. Secondly old PowerStation’s are being upgraded but it is a slow process as it cost billions to do. I can point you to one if you are interested.

I happen to be doing my second trade and I noticed that not one student used a tablet for a handbook. Nope they had photocopies of the handbook in question or the actual thing... Most of them where second hand but usable. But don’t take my word for it. Go and have a look for yourself.

So yes reality bites...

In my opinion an e-book is handy but it will never be able to replace the real thing as the real thing is just as handy.

I also see in your sarcasm that you pointed out that SA is the highest consumer of mobile phones for its population. Ask yourself why that is? The fact that it remains a portable device may have something to do with that statistic. The second fact is that it can operate for a while without being plugged in... Jip that is also FACT!

So is the power thing a real problem for us? The answer is twofold actually both yes and no. Yes but there are solar charging stations where people will charge your device for R5. And those who have power also ask about R5 a charge.

Oh and another fact “Not every household have power”
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    @ adrian ............ I'm with you here .......... just gonna keep quite ............. but thought I would just mention that you two (dfsa & tec) are saying the exact opposite .......... with regards to "power stations"

Do you think that as we speak all coal power stations that was de-commissioned early Ninety's ( 1990-1995 they were not commercially viable any more) are being re-vamped to supply you with extra power.. Nope.

Secondly old PowerStation’s are being upgraded but it is a slow process as it cost billions to do. I can point you to one if you are interested
    Anyway ......................

Ps ....... Oh one other thing ............. just thought I would mention it .............. did you know that government is trying all out to supply "computer" centres to all schools in SA for teaching ..................... oh and of course the "rural" areas will take a bit longer .............. because of bribary and corruption and because of no fixed power ............ but the plans are in place and it is happening. Did you also know that a lot of schools and university lectures ..... be it private are being conducted online and with live time tablets ! ..... Just saying ....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    @ adrian ............ I'm with you here .......... just gonna keep quite ............. but thought I would just mention that you two (dfsa & tec) are saying the exact opposite .......... with regards to "power stations"

Anyway ......................
    I just happen to live across from a PowerStation that is in the process of being fixed and upgraded. They have been at it for a while now actually...
    peace is a state of mind

Suspended
    Thanks
    Im not arguing with you tec ....... this time ............ its dfsa that said that.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinb View Post
    Ps ....... Oh one other thing ............. just thought I would mention it .............. did you know that government is trying all out to supply "computer" centres to all schools in SA for teaching ..................... oh and of course the "rural" areas will take a bit longer .............. because of bribary and corruption and because of no fixed power ............ but the plans are in place and it is happening. Did you also know that a lot of schools and university lectures ..... be it private are being conducted online and with live time tablets ! ..... Just saying ....
    I just hope this happens sooner rather than later. Fact is I am attending a so called “private college” but there facilities are not that wonderful. Run down classrooms basically no lights, 1 physical toilet and it is horrible we simply can’t use it. Then there is the damage of private property, theft and gang attacks. “And this really IS a private college” But at the government college we nearly got shot by criminals that where shooting at the police so really no choice in the end.

Jip we really need this new infrastructure I will not argue with that.

I remember that Solidarity are also pushing for a similar system. So here is me hoping.
    peace is a state of mind

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast