Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: books vs ebook

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robinsonwang View Post
    it's easy to have your own works on ebook, but not easy to have your own book published the publish fee decides the difference of ebook and book
    Mostly South African publishers are really not interested in any book that hasn't something to do with conviction of past events. They are not interested in real fantasy and fiction. For the last 6 years I have tried everything to get my books solicited and have it looked at.

It has been nothing but a waste of time... Our publishers are narrow-minded and our writers are suffering heavily for the publisher's narrow-mindedness. I can only hope they go bankrupt so that real publishing entities can take over and writers will once again be free to write about anything not just this BS stuff that is basically forced down onto the public.
    Last edited by Dave A; 28-Jun-11 at 07:07 PM. Reason: fixed collation problem
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Thanks so much AndyD. If you have further info on these, I'd be very interested.
    Hi Des

I only saw this thread now. As Andy said, it is likely that there are tools available to create 'access-controlled' e-books and as always, there will be a way around them. However, I'm not familiar with any existing tools of that nature.

I am in the software industry, and developing an application like that could make for an interesting project. If you'd like to discuss it further, please give me a shout.

Cheers,
    Riaan
    "Fortune favours the bold" - Virgil
    Riaan Nel
    Freelance Software Development | LinkedIn | Skype

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I choose, i will choose books not E-book.

Although it is much convenient and easy to take them , for me i have a faith that classic books can keep forever by people. while E-book can not .

Suspended
    Thanks
    Although it is much convenient and easy to take them , for me i have a faith that classic books can keep forever by people. while E-book can not
    I have a tablet and my downloaded books are there for as long as I want them to be. Much better to have e books than actual books - where I go my tablet goes, therefore my books are there.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The e-book is not really the problem the facilitators are. Fact is almost anything can be downloaded for free and file sharing is not something new. If you publish the e-book then there are many hands in the pie and you get only a very small amount of the actual sales. As e-books make the writer dependant on the e-book publisher and reseller systems.

So if I was to publish a book it would be paperback. E-books are nice but they will kill the industry.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is no DRM that can't be cracked...suffice to say that anything an everything is available for free if you know where to look and what tools to use. Whether you publish an ebook or not somebody will turn a paper book into an ebook very quickly. I agree with Kevin, I keep all my books on the tablet and my my wife and daughters keep all their books on their Kindles. Ebooks will kill the paper publishing industry just as MP3 is killing the CD pressing industry. It is the way of the world, technology advances and if you don't keep up you stay behind...aka Kodak, Olivetti and many other companies that failed to change when change was thrust upon them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Personally I prefer paper books, but I think the time is coming when paper books will head in the direction of vinyl. It is very difficult for a writer to get published in paper even if it is an ideal medium. Large corportations have to accept the fact that technology is changing the way the make money. Take the music industry while still large amounts are made via itunes etc, the amount of piracy in the digital age will always be in the 70% region. They can stop all the free download sites, but nothing can stop one visiting a friend and copying all their music collection. The same applies to e-books. In the future musicians will only make money by having concerts, but they will give away their content free, already we see this trend, the stars of today Justin bieber, llwayne, all made a name for themselves by giving content free. People as a rule follow the free.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What is interesting about music is that people prefer "free" to "quality". There was a time when the thing to do was to spend a lot of money on high end audio equipment to get that perfect sound. I read a study that came to the conclusion that young people care more for sheer volume (number of songs) than the true quality of those songs. That is why so many people are happy to listen to low quality MP3 as long as they have lots of them and they are portable. Maybe it has more to do with the music being personally portable than anything else. There is another side to this debate though and that is that people get exposed to a wider variety of content. One would think twice about buying a CD for R100 of an unknown artist but you wouldn't think twice about listening to a totally different genre of music if your get it free. This of course goes for movies too, I will happily watch something with my wife on the PC but I sure ain't going to pay SK R60 to see a movie that I might not enjoy.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Those that keep up with technology will obviously buy online, but you will still get the die hards that want to read a normal book ...... But gone are the days when I buy another actual book. Its not only cheaper online, but much more convenient.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think that you will soon be able to buy an SD-card along with the paperback so that you own both physical and virtual copy. This is an acceptable future. Fact is the loss of LP records echo’s true today. It was a wonderful medium simple and it worked.

Fact is technology is not the future paper and Phonograph’s are the future because they can be easily used. Modern technologies have a low life expectancy thus you may well end up bookless if the tech fail and that can easily happen. A strong Electromagnetic pulse will burn any unsealed integrated circuit and most technologies are manufactured by the cheapest possible means...

Fact is to get a Phonograph going is not that technical and doesn’t need integrated circuitry to function. This is fact. Same is true with an e-book if the device fails the book is gone and with it the information. Now I personally rather own a Phonograph and an actual book as these two things maintain function especially when other newer technologies fail.

Don’t get me wrong I love technology but it is wise to identify their shortcoming and adapt accordingly.
    peace is a state of mind

11. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (07-Dec-17)

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast