Thread: Everyone knows South Africans don't pay

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Everyone knows South Africans don't pay

"Everyone knows South Africans don't pay!"

This is a statement by my IP attorney in regards to his requirements for up-front payments for IP work & filings. I chuckled when he said this, as past experience in my earlier years in SA had confirmed this fact. I always pay cash upfront where appropriate, or on a progressive-release basis.

Fast forward to my latest adventures in SA business.

I take on a project for an industry association with a solid, historical membership. With these kinds of clients, they are generally expected to pay on time, with an invoice with 'payment on demand' terms. First payment had a few grumbles while the direct banking setup was engaged - so I was informed. Second payment was reasonable - took around 6 days to clear. Bear in mind, these are online payments.

Third payment: Payment officer sick from 20 Oct to 4 Nov with a minor illness. Promises made for payment on 4 Nov - nothing forthcoming. Officer notified per phone, promises payment today. Payment did thankfully make it, along with a very curt notice.

At each step of the process, the invoices had been accepted & compliments paid in regards to the performance delivery. What to make of the whole affair? Bear in mind that I had not received this kind of issue in my many years of working abroad, in various countries.

South Africans don't pay!

This is a cultural issue, I'm sure. All future work will be performed with up-front payment structures in place. I am not a banker, nor do I have the time to chase down payments. I give the folks good rates & endeavour to perform above guaranteed deliverables. I'm happy to take on work & work my butt off - but, I expect to be paid accordingly.

A rude awakening - South Africans don't pay!
    Last edited by desA; 08-Nov-10 at 07:54 PM.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

2. Thanks given for this post:

Neville Bailey (08-Nov-10)