Thread: faulty goods

Suspended
    Thanks

faulty goods

i have been supplying and installing matelec day/night switch for years...

just recently every one i installed was faulty...they had to be returned and replaced with a different make because the whole batch was faulty so there was no stock...by the way the national ones i installed in the mean time are all still working...but cost R80 more

all the units i installed 2 years ago are now having to be replaced...out of warranty...so the customer has to pay for a new one and the call out fee.

and even others that are not even 1 year old starting to give problems.

no big deal they tell you to return it to the supplier where you purchased it and you can exchange it...

now my question is who must pay the call out fee to keep returning these units...it was no big deal before because i would replaced the odd one here and there

it is now becoming a problem for 2 reasons 1 the customers are complaing that they have to pay for the call out fee to keep replacing them...and the ones that the customers dont pay for i loose the call out fee...

do you think the manufacter should pay for the call out?

i have already contacted my supplier to inform them that if by some chance he suplies me with one of these units again i will charge them for the call fee.

i would rather supply my customers with a slightly more expensive unit and save myself and the customer the hassle.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What drives me nuts is when we're supplied a faulty unit. Of course you only find out it's faulty when you install it.

At least in the electrical contracting game most wholesalers (and I expect manufacturers) are prepared to swop it out. But as you say, extra trips and ultimately a lot of extra hours.

Try to swop out a faulty electrical part supplied to you in the motor industry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Try to swop out a faulty electrical part supplied to you in the motor industry
    Or refrigeration industry. A faulty compressor could take a couple of hours to replace along with more welding, new filter/dryer and so on.

Suppliers limit their warranty to the parts only. They won't take any responsibility for labour or other incidental costs.

Will the CPA change this?

Thanks
    Keep a few in stock and do the swap when you go to the supplier, save trips.

Tell them to extra discount the next order you give them for materials for the call out.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    i know what the answer is DO NOT USE MATELEC DAYNIGHT SWITCHES they are rubbish...go back to using national ones at a little more in price...and save money in the long run.

you dont save buying rubbish for R56.00 + labour...R315.00 + malemas cut for his security gaurds...total R422.94 sounds cheap enough.

national one R120.00 + labour + malemas cut =R495.90...

you save R72.96...but do you save...a return visit R359.10...mmm i would say paying out and extra R72.96 would be a big saving.