Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slap Chips

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rfnel View Post
    Andy, next time you visit Johannesburg, pay a visit to Hillside Fish and Chips in Rosettenville. They have the best 'corner cafe' style fish and chips I've ever had.

When it comes to fast food joints, no-one beats McDonalds' chips (not 'slap', I know), although Steers comes close.
    McDonald's chips tastes like cardboard!!

But after reading this thread I am so lus for slap chips right now!!

Email problem
    Thanks
    McDonalds makes pretty good chips in my mind but its nothing compared to the "slap chips" from our local corner cafe..When they hot and fresh you slam them on a fresh slice of bread with real butter, add some chilli sauce and you're in heaven!!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    We also have this Fish and chips shop about 3min from my home. It is like little pieces of Slap-Chip heaven. Apparently it comes down to preparation. Apparently you wash then steam the potatoes “peeled” till they are close to being cooked. “soft but not mushy soft” and you give them time to cool down. After that you cut them into nice junky chips. Start boiling the oil then you just dip and fry!!!

Or you can just buy them "saves you a lot of time"
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I used to work at an Adega Restaurant some years ago as a manager and remember having a conversation with one of the managers from the Fish and Chips shop next door. He advised me that you must only use "Vanderplank" potatoes and never the standard "Mondial" potatoes. He gave me a demonstration and I was very impressed. If you rub the potatoes' skin with your tumb and the skin comes of easily then its a good quality potato for frying chips. "Mondial" potatoes are good for roasting and mash apparently....

5. Thanks given for this post:

Citizen X (23-Oct-12)

Thanks
    I love The Fish & Chip Co chips! nom nom..

Have anyone notice how horrible oven bakes chips is these days?? Or does anyone maybe know of a brand that tastes nice?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Darn! Now Im sooooo lus for fish and chips! Gonna make it tonight for me and the misses. With lots of lemon and crushed sea salt.

Thanks
    Okay, now I'm hungry! See what you done!!!!!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Email problem
    Thanks
    Haha. Went to the Fish and Chips Co at Centurion Lifestyle Centre last night. Ordered 2 pieces of snoek, small hake, small chips, calamari and a russian. It was the best fish and chips Ive ever had. HONESTLY!!! I was so impressed. We got there just before they closed and the owner made all the food himself. Felt kinda guilty keeping them open but boy did we enjoy their food.

So here is my 3 food revelations for 2012:

1. Eggs Bennedict from Greenfields in the Mall@Reds. Excellent breakfast!!
    2. Mixed Bruchetta(roast veg, chicken and tzaziki, roast beef and redwine sauce) from Fournos bakery in Centurion Mall. Devine for a quick lunch!!
    3. Fish and chips combo from the Fish and Chips Co. at Centurion Lifestyle Centre. Stunning, unpretentious dinner!!!

Those 3 meals would be on my list for the perfect day. Only thing that will beat those meals is a good old braai with some Castles!!

10. Thanks given for this post:

Plumbing Supplies (02-Nov-12)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaffold View Post
    I used to work at an Adega Restaurant some years ago as a manager and remember having a conversation with one of the managers from the Fish and Chips shop next door. He advised me that you must only use "Vanderplank" potatoes and never the standard "Mondial" potatoes. He gave me a demonstration and I was very impressed. If you rub the potatoes' skin with your tumb and the skin comes of easily then its a good quality potato for frying chips. "Mondial" potatoes are good for roasting and mash apparently....
    A very good morning to you Scaffold,

I actually learnt something very interesting from you about which potatoes to use from chip frying! Going forward, I'll be inspecting all my potatoes before I cut and fry them! I'll tell you something interesting about growing potatoes, they grow like a weed! No matter what you do, you can't seem to stop them from growing. Potatoes hijacted a better part of my garden! It took about 2 years to get rid of them. I prefer to buy my potatoes, not really grow them. My vegetable garden suffered this year. At present the only vegetable I have growing is spinach..
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Email problem
    Thanks
    Howdee Vanash. Dont take my word for the potato advice. Im merely another telephone in the link. But what this guy showed me was impressive to me, however you may aswell say that it was the type of oil he used or the temp of the oil. lol. I find onions to grow like that. My chilli plants died tjop tjop over winter but my onions grew like crazy!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.