Thread: (state of the) electrical industry

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Suspended
    Thanks

(state of the) electrical industry

it is quite clear by the articles in the sparks magazine that people are starting to realise that there are some serious problems in the industry...wow imagine that...

A statement made by mark palmer in the mag.

", and that the AIAs must be ruthless in this regard.
    should i ask for a show of hands from registered persons supporting this line of policing? i think not"

maybe this is the whole problem with the industry...everyone is out to protect the electrical contractor...what about the public? who by the way is what all these regulations etc are designed to protect...taken from the very book electricial inspectors refer to...sans

page 70 "5.1.3.2 people,animals and property shall be protected against harmful earth fault currents by protective measures such as ....."

maybe he should be asking the same question to a mother of a 2 year old child who is electriciuted to death because of some regulation neglected or overseen or misinterpreted (the favourite in the electrical industry) during an inspection...which was wired by some unskilled labourer who was dropped off on site to do the entire installation...because he knows how to do it..

people need to understand that electrical regulations are design to protect people not electrical contractors or inspectors...i personally dont believe having a private organistion like the AIA will solve the industry problem...i have already been involved in an investigation where the customer was bullied by the AIA and the electrical contractor who according to my customer where joking like old buddies during the meeting...i am so bummed i missed that meeting...that really gets me intested when customers are bullied like that.

my view is if you are not skilled enough to be carrying out inspections...then why are you doing it...

i also believe that every single COC should be recorded in data bank and random checks by suitably qualified personel should carried out on a daily basis employed by the utilities...eskom etc...country wide to verify these COC are legit.

Companies which charge less than R750 per inspection should be should be targeted first because i cannot understand how a person charging R450 can be doing the inspection report correctly...if you can please invite me along on your next inspection i would love to see how you do it...and as long as people like the AIA have the attitude as mentioned above (seems to be the same as the ECA)...there will be no improvement to the industry.

there should also be a huge clamp down on people who do gate motors...airconditioning...swimming pools...or any other type of work which involves part of an electrical installations.

and lastly it doesnt help targeting only the people doing inspection...
    when an illegal installation is found...an enquiry into who actually did the work should be held so that that person can be held accountable for his/her work...i do realise this is a virtually impossible task but it where it needs to start...

you dont wear your seat belt you get fined and it doesnt even endanger other people...yet people can get away with horrific electrical installations and get away with not even so much as a slap on the wrist...something wrong with this picture...here in durban you can literally get away with murder...and i say this because i found an electrical installtion which was so illegal and yet nobody was prepared to investigate unless someone had died on site....eeeeish very sad.

lets see what this ERIC organisation is all about...something which made me take note...they mention a "customer protection act"

my first question is what are they trying to achieve...is it gona stay a voluntary organistion with no monetary interest in the industry or what do they want out of it in the long term?

2. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (20-Oct-10)