Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8.ta

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    mtn is 5 a day
    Vodacom has (had?) a 20-a-day limit.

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Internet cost is still very high and I can no longer see the justification. Cell C, MTN, Vodacom and Virgin mobile “if they still exist” have to look at 8.ta and wonder if there isn’t a real conflict of interest here.
    Against who, or what are you measuring this?

So it is true that ISPs are money pumps and they are making a killing but they love to play the “underdevelopment” card as seen here. I think the situation calls for transparency. How much do Telkom, MTN, Vodacom Cell C and Virgin mobile pay for 1GB of data? How much does the infrastructure cost to maintain? And what is the net profit?
    Really? Who said so? I challenge you to start your own ISP and see if you can make it out there. If you can last even just 5 years, make a profit, pay staff salaries, buy office space, pay for marketing & advertising and offer the same service as any of these ISP's, at the same level of service they do, but do it at half the price they do, then you have a leg to stand on. Otherwise your assumtions are just that, assumptions.

Why can't a company make a profit?
    Why do they have to run a loss just to keep the client happy?
    Who will pay the staff, rent, insurance, marketing, etc if you demand everything at cost price?
    Do you actually have any idea of what it costs just to rent the space where on cellular tower stands? Without even putting up some radios and antenna's, before there's even a hint of getting a client onto that mast?

I don’t think they will ever divulge that type of info but, my thinking is this: if there was no money in it then why provide the service in the first place?
    Why are you in business? OR, for that matter, why do you even work? Is it not their right, as much as yours, to put food on the table, buys housing & car(s), clothes, education for their kids, employ staff, etc? Why do you judge them for making money, but you also make money?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Suspended
    Thanks
    was i dreaming or was the advert for vodocom prepaid customers rates to drop to R1.40 t&c apply last night on TV...

and if so why would there be T&Cs for preapid.

and as for virgin...i just got to share this...they have a collection agent bothering me for R200 outstanding from when i had a contract with them...yet before i could transfer i had to make sure the account was up to date.
    i decided to play along and have requested a print out of ever single bit of corresponence with them including all amounts paid to date...copy of the signed contract...so that i can forward it to my lawyer...i get a call back the next day telling me that i should have proof of payment and must send it to them...so i suggested they go ahead with a summons...lets see where this goes...considering my cellphone did not work for 3 months due to some technical glitch from their side...my bussiness lost big time...and never eceived any sort of compensasion to date...so it would be intesting going to court over R200 they say i owe them...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cartels or free market?

BTW - I really liked the TV ad I saw for this. Seriously struck my funny bone

Thanks
    BTW - I really liked the TV ad I saw for this. Seriously struck my funny bone
    My opinion was the opposite. I really havnt liked any of the adverts they have done at all! Cant put a finger on it, but really havnt appreciated it at all. Maybe its psychological being that it is telkom!

The best add they have had that i have seen is the link to there web above! Having seen there rates, they are going to become a force to be reckoned with. May well even get a dedicated line for landline calls at those rates. The entry level data rates 100M for R50 is also cheap versus vodacom. Think vodacom is about R1 per M at entry, both around the same for a G.

PS... don't like there website either... but maybe its that head thing also...
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    SoftDux-Rudi >

Well let’s see South Africa’s only “real” landline service provider wants to tap into the mobile network knowing they own the landline infrastructure thus is able to cut cost dramatically?

Secondly let us look at cost. R1 per 1mb? Ok so for every 1mb a R1 is generated in profit “depending on the network some networks still ask R2” and let say a million South Africans access the internet at 8:30 am to read there e-mails. How much money is generated?

So we all know that there are more than 1 million users on the net so clearly there are a lot of money exchanging hands. Yet how much of that money goes back to the infrastructure, training and job creation and how much of that money goes back to the overlords.

So yes I do have a problem because data costs are really high and it is also true that government owns a large part of the telecommunication sector.

Really? Who said so? I challenge you to start your own ISP and see if you can make it out there. If you can last even just 5 years, make a profit, pay staff salaries, buy office space, pay for marketing & advertising and offer the same service as any of these ISP's, at the same level of service they do, but do it at half the price they do, then you have a leg to stand on. Otherwise your assumtions are just that, assumptions.
    The truth is the tax payer paid for much of the infrastructure based on government involvement. So no I don’t have a country’s economy to back me up. But I suggest that you follow the paper and see where you end up and who the players are.

Why are you in business? OR, for that matter, why do you even work? Is it not their right, as much as yours, to put food on the table, buys housing & car(s), clothes, education for their kids, employ staff, etc? Why do you judge them for making money, but you also make money?
    Everyone has the right to make money but if something is partly government then it is no longer a business now is it? Nope it just became a service... “Think about that for a moment...”
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    How does Neotel compare to these players these days? I have noticed some very interesting pricing from their side.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Neotel

I don’t know what is cooking at Neotel lately, but they are basically running at 20c per 1Mb if I am not mistaken. I gave up on them because they were never available in our aria. But you are still looking at a once-off cost of R599 “I stand to be corrected” on the NeoConnect Prime Prepaid package. Then basically you will run on vouchers like a standard prepaid mobile phone.

Source: Click on Special Offers
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    One of my friends said something in the line of 8 cents a mb the other night and he seemed very happy with Neotel, I just do not have time to go and analyse these products they have otherwise I would have gone and have a look.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I will give them a call next week and ask them if it is true, 8c per 1Mb sounds like something one could use. But I think it best to consult Neotel, it could well be an off-peak tariff or something like that.

But I am sure there is some kind of variable involved, but if it is true and 8c is available for prepaid then it is far more cost effective...
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Check this out, http://neotel.co.za/wps/portal/!ut/p...OBAL_CONTEXT=#
    Click on compare package, pretty much all I can find that makes any sense.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.