Thread: Wiring under thatch

Thanks

Wiring under thatch

What is the correct method of wiring lights under a thatch, Must all wiring be in Conduit or is norse cable meeting the standards. Sans 10142 only refer to open wiring . Is norse catalogued as open wiring.
    Last edited by camrad; 16-Oct-10 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks
    Can you provide a link to the specifications of 'Norse' cable?

Thanks
    1.5 mm 2 + E round norsk

Thanks
    If it's similar to surfix cable then the cable would only be classed as open wiring when stripped of its outer sheath.

[quote sans0142]6.4.5 Open wiring
    NOTE Open wiring consists of single-core insulated conductors that operate at not
    more than 250 V to earth.
    [/quote]

If the cable is installed at least 1 meter below the thatch then it can be run as cable only. If it's closer than 1 meter to the thatch material then the cable must be shielded and earth bonded.
    5.2.2.4 Clearance distance between the thatch and the metal objects under the thatch
    Metals used in the construction of a thatched roof shall be bonded and earthed. Water pipes, vent
    pipes, tanks, gas pipes, antennas, telephone and bell wires, burglar alarms and electrical wiring and
    conduit within 1 000 mm of the thatch shall be shielded, bonded and earthed
    (see SANS 10142-1).
    Last edited by Dave A; 17-Oct-10 at 06:53 AM.

5. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (17-Oct-10)

Thanks

Reg 5.2.2.4

Hi Andy, pse direct me to the page where the above regulation is? (Sans 10142:2009 Edition 1.7) Thanks.
    If it is not broken, fix/test it until it is.
    This is my opinion and I stick to it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post
    Hi Andy, pse direct me to the page where the above regulation is? (Sans 10142:2009 Edition 1.7) Thanks.
    Sorry for the confusion. SANS0142 only refers to bare wiring being 1000mm below thatch for extra low voltage lighting installations.
    SANS 10313 (The protection of structures against lightning) refers to 'metal objects under thatch and their earth bonding requirements. This encompasses electrical wiring, alarm wiring, telephone wiring etc.
    SANS 10313:2005 Edition 2.1
    5.2.2.4 Clearance distance between the thatch and the metal objects under the thatch

Metals used in the construction of a thatched roof shall be bonded and earthed.
    Water pipes, vent pipes, tanks, gas pipes, antennas, telephone and bell wires, burglar alarms and electrical wiring and conduit within 1 000 mm of the thatch shall be shielded, bonded and earthed (see SANS 10142-1).

Thanks
    In the SANS 10313 quote it says 'see SANS 0142-1' but I don't see where it ties in with this reg.

Thanks
    I hope someone can supply a quick answer. I have just been at an installation where the installation electrician installed flat 2 + E inside the thatch in the grass so the wire is not visible. there are no joints but the client is not entirely happy with this there is also other wiring which is norch. Can anyone help me with the confirmation that this is in order on the SANS code as I cannot seem to find that this is OK or confirmed in order. The wire is not open like old type installation.

Thanks
    Hi
    Found this in the regs and hope it helps.
    6.4.8 Wiring through building elements 6.4.8.1 If wiring has to pass right through a building element such as a floor, a wall, a partition, or a ceiling, conductors and busbars shall be in a non-flammable enclosure or wireway. 6.4.8.2 If the building element is a fire break, the space around a) a cable, b) a wireway, or c) the wiring in a wireway, if the internal cross-sectional area of the wireway exceeds 13 000 mm2, shall be completely filled with non-flammable material over the full thickness of the building element. NOTE 1 Mineral wool is non-flammable.

Thanks

Wiring in t,hatch

Thanks for the info. There seems to only be notes on specs of wiring distance from thatch and relates to open wiring being GP, my choice would have been surface along the wooden parts in conduit no matter what type of wire just for safety sake. The client has spoken to SABS and they confirm no wire in thatch. His insurance broker says WTH, if it burns it burns they can't prove what happenened so they iust carry on, but that attitude will probably change when it does happen