Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I verify my electricity meter ?

Thanks

How can I verify my electricity meter ?

I guess this would be for Murdock.....................

I recently moved my factory premises and it the process of having the electricity upgraded I moved to a prepaid meter ( 3 Phase )

I now find after 3 months that my bill is more than double the old premises with exactly the same machines and office equipment. From R 995 per month average over 4 months to R 2500 per month

I did a test and switched off all equipment except for the fax, router switch, ADSL router and telephone system.
    The meter then flashes once every 3 seconds. ( 1000 flashes = 1 KWH )
    That is 1.2 Kw / hour...............surely that is not possible !
    With ALL equipment off, there is a flash +_ every 30 seconds.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Sorry Dave,
    This belongs in Technology..........please move it for me.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Switch off everything in the db after the meter. Is it still running?

If no - then switch on each circuit one by one until you identify the culprit circuit.

If yes - well, that could get interesting.

Thanks
    The main breaker is after the meter. By switching the main breaker off the flashing stops.
    What I am getting at is the question about the calibration of the meter.
    I have requested a calibration test by the local municipality but this could take many days/weeks.
    I have also checked in the main sub on the pavement, my CB has no "control meter".
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    Why not have a seperate meter installed on the board ?

I recently bought an Owl Electricity Monitor ( I see also available for 3 phase ).

It has a clip that you place around the live wire on the board ( main board or for an individual breaker ) connected to a sender unit, and a wireless receiver with display.

No installation, no connecting wires, etc. Just clips around - like my old car timing light around a spark plug cord.

You enter the electricity unit cost and it displays current usage, totals for day / week / month year in both cost and kW. It has allowed me to monitor the geyser usage, and is currently on the outbuilding / flat circuit.

Next will be the plugs and lighting circuits. I think a handy little device for figuring out where you are using and what you can improve on.

Cost of the Owl was R650, but I think if you can improve your monthly bill by just R60, it's paid for itself in a year.
    Watching the ships passing by.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (14-Oct-10)

Thanks
    Thanks Dave,

I am going to try this. Can get one on the web for R 899.00
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    Got mine at Mica and also available from electrical wholesalers.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Suspended
    Thanks
    i have a fluke 435 which is a class A instrument...which can be used for this type of application especially if you want to take this all the way.

however my advice would be to first get a load profile done and determine where the useage is coming from...there could be numerous factors causing this issue...especially if you have moved...

the other thing to check before you take any action is the type of elctricity tarrif you where on before...you could have had a bussiness and general for example which might have been a cheaper rate..

you need t look at the installtion as a whole...transformer....dbs...geysers...security lights etc...exsisitng on the building....its hard to give you advice without actually looking at the electrical installtion.

fitting and addtional meter will only tell you the meter is reading correctly....

by the way there is a fee for them to calibrate the meter...just makes sure you know how much...before they do it...they might contract the calibration out...then you will pay big bucks.

i hear the companies in jhb charge some ridiculous rate like R5000 a week to do load profiles

10. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (14-Oct-10)

Thanks
    Thanks Murdock,

I shall get the sparky that did the complete revamp to check this out for me.
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Suspended
    Thanks
    there are very few contractors who are capable of doing a voltage and load unbalance...or a load profile...clamping a tong tester onto each phase is not acceptable test..only a 3 phase tester will do the job.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast