Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I verify my electricity meter ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    by the way there is a fee for them to calibrate the meter...just makes sure you know how much...before they do it...they might contract the calibration out...then you will pay big bucks
    They can charge you for calibration checking upon request only if the meter is accurate to class 1 specs. If the meter is found to be inaccurate then the testing cost is for the account of the supply authority.

Suspended
    Thanks
    just remember we have different supply authourities with different bylaws and cost structures in various regions...thats why i mentioned you need to check.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Martinco (15-Oct-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinco View Post
    Thanks Dave,

I am going to try this. Can get one on the web for R 899.00
    I have installed the unit and it indicates that my pre-paid meter runs virtually double to what this unit indicates.

I guess the electrical dept of the municipality is next.
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Suspended
    Thanks
    so much for quality control...i wonder how many other units are over charging customers...

the next question is will be able to get a rebate....

Thanks
    I have installed the unit and it indicates that my pre-paid meter runs virtually double to what this unit indicates.
    Mine is pretty accurate. If I rig it to a line that has 3 x 100W bulbs on it, it shows a little over 300W, and my geyser element comes on and shows 3,012 W ( 3kW element ).

Are you sure you've got it on the main line into the board and not just on a circuit that doesn't have the geyser or pool pump on it ? Nothing else between the meter and the monitor ?
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Are you sure you've got it on the main line into the board and not just on a circuit that doesn't have the geyser or pool pump on it ? Nothing else between the meter and the monitor ?
    Yes Dave, Quite sure. I have installed this in my factory and have clipped the three pickups over the three incoming phases. But what worries me is that the monitor unit does not have a setting for 380 volts. It only goes up to 250 volt but if I run a 4 Kw motor with load it shows +- 4 Kw.
    My logic tells me that it must make a difference if the voltage setting is 230 volt and should be 380 volt but I have emailed the manufacturer and asked these questions.
    Just for another test I intend to switch off all other machines/geysers etc and only switch on the 10 mercury vapor factory lights at 450 watt / each and then see what reading I get.
    Any idea what the power factor on these units are ? I.E. what should I add for the loss of efficiency ?
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    But what worries me is that the monitor unit does not have a setting for 380 volts. It only goes up to 250 volt .......
    Is this an American monitor? USA is 110v phase to neutral which gives around 230v phase to phase.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Is this an American monitor? USA is 110v phase to neutral which gives around 230v phase to phase.
    No apparently built for SA conditions but the manufacturer came back to me saying that it should be set to 230v as the phase to neutral is 230 v.

The sensors only pick up the magnetic field around each phase and uses that to do the calculation.

I shall monitor the readings and report back !
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    On the same issue:

Does anybody know what the code is to enter into a prepaid meter to display the total amount of units used since installation ?
    I asked the guy from the municipality but either he does not know or he does not want to tell me, and if the latter, Halloooo, what can I do with the info apart from verifying total consumption ? I cannot break the meter !
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Mine is pretty accurate. If I rig it to a line that has 3 x 100W bulbs on it, it shows a little over 300W, and my geyser element comes on and shows 3,012 W ( 3kW element ).
    I have been monitoring the unit and no matter what voltage setting I set it to, I do not even remotely get the same reading as on the pre-paid meter so I am going to have a proper meter installed in the DB.
    It seems this will be the only way to check.
    By the way.......I had the guy from the municipality here and "Sorry.........iesh, the calibrating machine she is broken! "
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast