Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pastel Accounting software won't run on Vista

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Update: Indeed, according to the EULA you may transfer ownership with 2003 - you just need to inform Quickbooks within 15 days and not keep any copies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've just received an unsolicited email from Pastel - it seems someone went to the trouble of adding me to their email list. It does contain some very pertinent information in relation to the title of this thread, so I'm not complaining too much. However, the fine print at the bottom says I cannot reproduce, disseminate blah blah any of the information contained therein.

So clearly I am not supposed to pass onto you the content of the email or any part thereof. Which is not too much of a problem because it is pretty non-commital anyway. ie. It does not say that Pastel does run on Vista. But it doesn't say Pastel doesn't run on Vista either. It does mention that Pastel does use a particular database and that installations may become complex.

Here is a list of potentially useful links that you might want to give a try if you have any interest:

Windows Vista : Capable and Premium Ready PCs

Read about Microsoft Vistaâ„¢ system requirements

Read about some of the pertinent changes in Microsoft Vistaâ„¢

Read more about setting up Pastel Partner when using Microsoft Vistaâ„¢

Read more about troubleshooting Pastel Partner when using Microsoft Vistaâ„¢

Pervasive.com

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Dave,
    Did you ever resolve this problem?

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yes. I use Quickbooks

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Sorry, I should have asked a more specific question.

Did you manage to reload it on a new computer using your existing license? or were you forced to purchase an upgrade?

Our license renewal date is March 2029 for two users and yet we are unable to obtain the activation key for more than one user.

QBooks here in South Africa will not assist as they say the program is no longer supported, and suggest the purchase of the latest QBooks for 2 users at a cost of
    R4, 888.00

I am really reluctant to incur additional costs for an updated program which has nothing new to offer us and not available in the program we already own.

I am looking into changing my accounting program as I really do not want to spend any more on QBooks despite using their program with regular updates since 2003.

Has anyone used Microsoft Accounting, and would anyone know if there would be any benefits to using the Microsoft accounting program as we are shortly installing Microsoft CRM software, I would assume that it would be easier to integrate a Microsoft program than QBooks?

Would appreciate any advice,
    Thanks
    Yvonne

Thanks
    Yvonne, have you ever had a look at Turbocash? My wife uses it in her bookkeeping business.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Yvonne
    If you are looking have a look at econoaccounting I use the lite version as I have a estimating system which goes up to invoicing. The downloading of bank statements is one of the best features.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Yvonne, is your problem that you can't get QBooks to work on Vista? I did some digging (as I have 2006 and it also "does not work" on vista) and managed to get QBooks 2006 working without any major hassles. Let me know, and I'll look up what the necessary settings are.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Silver Member
    Thanks
    No, it is not related to Vista, I discovered that problem previously when I purchased a new PC. so took that into account.

We have made sure that the server and new computers are all Microsoft Windows XP - but Windows compatible later should QBooks update to Vista.

We have an excellent IT consultant, and I do have total confidence in him.

We eventually got it sorted, had to remove the program from the server, and put it back on one of the stations, and we now have the access of two users, but now for some strange reason the program will not permit me to export a file into Exel!

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated,

Yvonne

Yvonne

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, I've been kinda busy and haven't got to all the new posts for a couple of days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    Did you manage to reload it on a new computer using your existing license? or were you forced to purchase an upgrade?
    As long as you uninstall on one machine, you won't have any problem installing onto a new machine using the same activation code. I've had to do that lots of times over the years. But it looks like you're already on top of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    I am really reluctant to incur additional costs for an updated program which has nothing new to offer us and not available in the program we already own.
    I know that feeling. I felt the same way when I got my first Quickbooks. I was so chuffed that you had it for life, and pretty much everything else available at the time was for rent - well, a pretty steep annual fee at least.

However, it was single user and when I needed a multi-user environment it was all over. I ended up giving that old one away and it is still being used to this day.

Nowadays I pretty much accept that there is a lifespan in any product, and sooner or later you'll probably need to replace/upgrade it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast