Thread: Furniture stores warned not to hide true costs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Furniture stores warned not to hide true costs

Furniture shops cannot keep silent about hidden costs when advertising bargains, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) said on Wednesday.

The ASA has ruled against a Furniture City advertisement that did not reflect hidden costs -- such as insurance and delivery charges -- in its advertised prices.

A customer, Michelle Reinhard, had complained about in-store advertising for a mattress at a Furniture City outlet, and about a brochure inserted in the Randburg Sun.

The in-store advertisement showed the price of the mattress as R2 999, or R131 per month for 24 months after paying a deposit of R280.

Reinhard paid a deposit of R500. To her surprise, she was told to pay R230 a month.

The increase was attributed to additional charges for a magazine subscription, insurance, delivery charges and an administration fee. After negotiations, certain charges were removed, but the total instalment was R133.

After scrutinising the respondent's print advertising, the "terms and conditions" were found at the bottom of the last page in small print.

The ASA found that the in-store material made no mention of any additional costs, nor did it indicate that any conditions were attached to the offer.
    full story from M&G here

Gold Member
    Thanks
    This practice by many companies is totally reprehensible - on principal I will walk out of a deal like this. As long as SA consumers put up with this kind of abuse and dishonesty it will be thrown at us by unscrupulous capitalists. Buy and Vote with your feet!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely agreed. I have found myself on a few occassions having to help members of my staff who have got into trouble this way.

Hopefully, in this area, the NCA will also have a positive impact.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I have found myself on a few occassions having to help members of my staff who have got into trouble this way.
    Ditto!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook