Thread: security cameras network

Suspended
    Thanks

security cameras network

we have 30 cameras located on 3 different sites

there are 3 seprate locations with 10 cameras on each site

now my task is to connect all these cameras in such a way that i can monitor any one of the cameras at any time i want to.

the options i am thinking about are

1/ putting a pc at each of the 3 dvrs with a 3 g card so that i can log into the pc from another pc in my office and monitor staff working on the various sites.

2/ put a pc like mentioned above but have a smart cellphone which i can log into the cameras from the cellphone and monitor staff.

the cameras are all fitted with motion sensors and they are day/night rated...

so if there is a breakin on one of the site... when the camera switches on to record it must activate on my phone or laptop so i can see whether it is a breakin or whether a dog or ghost is running around on site.

any ideas?

Thanks
    Is the camera system not pc based at each of the locations?

Thanks
    Far more info required, distance between sites (possibility of a microwave link), use of pc based system or 4/8/12 channel multiplexers etc., etc., etc...

Suspended
    Thanks
    cables and cameras are already installed...each back to a point where there is already dvr and a monitor...the 3 location s are about 6 km apart.

my task is to make the system accessable from anywhere in the world via internet cellphone or what ever other opitions are available.

i want to be able to log into any one of the cameras at anytime...or view multi cameras at he same time...

i thought if i install a pc at each of the 3 location with a 3 g card and connec tthe pc to the dvr it woulf be simple...setup the software and bingo.

Suspended
    Thanks
    how important is mil spec cable...a difference of about R2 per metre more than the so called high quality cable...so i am told by the cable supplier...hence the rip of extra cost...he tells me the quality of picture is better than normal high quality cable...i have run the power and signal cable combined...

the longest run from camera to dvr is about 150 metres.

Thanks
    6km quite doable over a 4GHz microwave link, fed from a multiplexer (dvr should have a mulitiplexed output). Incoming feed(s) to central monitoring point then fed into central multiplexer, (possibly into PC card mux), and then fed to an internet portal allowing access to all camera(s) on all site(s). Will cost a few bob to set up with all correct hardware, but is quite doable.

Unfortunately many "suppliers" are not too clued up wrt these various application options, and will sell you their idea of what can work, not knowing how on earth to do it, but once they are paid it now simply becomes your baby, and they no longer have any interest in making it work.

In the long run, getting pros to do the job and ONLY paying once the system works to your specifications cost more but means not having to buy 3 different systems and trying to force them to do what they were never meant to do...

Sadly a universal truth is the simple fact that you get EXACTLY what you paid for...

Thanks
    Hi Murdock,

I am presently running the following:

6 IP Cameras ( Motion detection and IR and some wireless ) on a LAN using Active Webcam V 11.5 software on one PC ( or more PCs if you want to ) and my LAN connected via a router to my ADSL line. Via the software I send either live or motion detection to a FTP server which can be viewed live from any web enabled device.

I also do recording on an external HDD for archive purposes.

In addition the software can be set to email any motion during selected hours to your email address ( setup on your cellphone) for the intruder purposes. You will receive as many snapshots as you require of the particular motion detected. The sensitivity can also be adjusted to keep false alarms to a minimum.

In my opinion the software is very good and works well and seems to be the secret to a successful installation.

You would obviously have to run 3 PCs and three programs at the 3 sites but I see no problem with this.

In your case I would think that your 3G cost could be on the high side as quite a lot of data is needed to transmit live video. The other options would be ADSL or even Wi-Fi or Wi-Max connections. ( a fail safe would be to run both )
    The above works very well for me and did not cost me an arm and a leg.

You can download a working copy of the software with full functionality and try for as long as you like but with nag screen until you license .

*Broken link removed*

I even have spare license #s should you require this.

Should you require further info...just shout.
    Last edited by Dave A; 27-Sep-10 at 10:35 AM. Reason: added www
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    We solve your fastening problems.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Thanks
    Sorry......I see the link is not working.

Try this one or if it fails just google the program but do not download from CY Soft as theirs is corrupted.

http://www.soft32.com/Download/free-...4-12595-2.html
    Martin Coetzee
    Supplier of Stainless Steel Band and Buckle and various fastening systems. Steel, Plastic, Galvanized, PET and Poly woven.
    www.straptite.com

You may never know what results will come from your actions, but if you do nothing, there will be no results... Rudy Malan 05/03/2011

Suspended
    Thanks
    an update the cameras are sony analog cameras...the dont have motion detectors...the dvr does that function...the dvr has a network output to connect to a router...

i have ebeen doing some research and found that the digital cameras are a lot more expensive...but have more features especially when it comes to viewing via cellphones etc...

i am an absolute diy for now but plan on going a little more in depth into this field...will be going on a course soon to learn a little more about cctv...because i am getting more and more enquiries...especially from my customers.

any ideas where i can find camera suppliers and wholesalers in durban?

what would be a reasonable price to be paying for a

30 metre day/night vision...outdoor camera

60 metre day/night vision...outdoor camera

4 channel dvr with network capabilities.

i take it the cctv field also has its rats and mice...who sell junk

any idea what equipment to stay away from

any comments about equipment supplied from

inhep electronics (IDS)

sercurity warehouse

DVR technologies

Thanks
    I am not really into analogue and dvr systems, so I am afraid I cannot help to a great extend.

I went directly for IP cams as they are far more versatile than the hard wired analogue cams. Although more expensive, ultimately it has proven the best solution for me. Just to give you an idea........I moved my factory some 2 months ago to new premises and because of the wireless feature I could have my system back up in a few hours. Also the fact that I can expand the system in both the amount of cams and storage in a jiffy. ( You know customers are like that, " Please add a camera here and one here and while you are at it, please give me more storage "

Depending on the quality of the cam they come from about $ 100 ( bullet type outdoor with 10 m IR and IP ) to as much as $1200 ( PTZ with high definition, can read a numberplate at 100 M and up to 100 M night vision ). It all depends on the application and the amount the customer is willing to spend.
    Another point, for the DIY guy, the IP way is far easier than hard wired analogue. The main problem is that the wiring to the cam is sometimes nearly impossible. E.g. to the one corner of the property from the house, underneath paving, drilling thru walls etc.etc.

But, let me not make up your mind for you but get as much info as you can and then make an educated decision.
    Martin Coetzee
    www.straptite.com