Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will you sign up for a newsletter that provides solutions to marketing issues?

Thanks

Will you sign up for a newsletter that provides solutions to marketing issues?

I’ve been toying with the idea to start a weekly / bi-weekly newsletter in which I answer marketing-related questions. The target market for the newsletter will be business owners and I haven’t refined the idea yet, but the in short I would like business owners to send in their marketing questions (i.e. my website is not generating leads / we are spending money on print advertising but not seeing any results / etc) and I will choose the top two or three questions and answer them. The questions and answers will go out as a ‘newsletter’ so that other business owners that have signed up to receive the newsletter can (hopefully) benefit from the advice.

What do you think – is this a viable idea and would you sign up for such a newsletter? Thanks in advance!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Politically correct answer: I'll think about it

My honest answer: No

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twenty3media View Post
    I’ve been toying with the idea to start a weekly / bi-weekly newsletter in which I answer marketing-related questions. The target market for the newsletter will be business owners and I haven’t refined the idea yet, but the in short I would like business owners to send in their marketing questions (i.e. my website is not generating leads / we are spending money on print advertising but not seeing any results / etc) and I will choose the top two or three questions and answer them. The questions and answers will go out as a ‘newsletter’ so that other business owners that have signed up to receive the newsletter can (hopefully) benefit from the advice.

What do you think – is this a viable idea and would you sign up for such a newsletter? Thanks in advance!
    Hi 23,
    How will you monetise this?
    In the USA you can get canned newsletters especially for printers, just they are too focused for the US for them to useful here! Now if you could offer this at a reasonable price I would be interested. I just think the market might be too small here. But I would be interested.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I used to subscribe to stuff that might be promising in the past, but my ever-growing inbox tends to have me being far more critical before I sign up for stuff nowadays.

Currently I prefer to read a newsletter first to get an idea of what I'm in for before I subscribe. Give me a blog with good writing on stuff I'm interested in and I'll subscribe to the newsletter.

If you're going to do it, I'd suggest publish the newletter on a blog too.

5. Thanks given for this post:

twenty3media (21-Sep-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I used to subscribe to stuff that might be promising in the past, but my ever-growing inbox tends to have me being far more critical before I sign up for stuff nowadays.

Currently I prefer to read a newsletter first to get an idea of what I'm in for before I subscribe. Give me a blog with good writing on stuff I'm interested in and I'll subscribe to the newsletter.

If you're going to do it, I'd suggest publish the newletter on a blog too.
    I am blogging but it’s more about marketing issues that I come across whilst chatting to clients or interesting marketing campaigns. I have considered adding a page to my website where I can upload all the back-dated newsletters but I have to figure out the technical details first. Thanks for the suggestion

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Politically correct answer: I'll think about it

My honest answer: No
    Thanks for the honest answer, may I ask why not?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Hi 23,
    How will you monetise this?
    In the USA you can get canned newsletters especially for printers, just they are too focused for the US for them to useful here! Now if you could offer this at a reasonable price I would be interested. I just think the market might be too small here. But I would be interested.
    The idea is not to monetise it. If I can generate a few leads from the newsletter, great, but that is not the goal. The reason why I started my agency is to help businesses with smaller marketing budgets create marketing strategies and marketing implementation plans. I find that many small business owners manage their own marketing and have questions like the ones I mentioned but no-one to ask for practical advice. I'm willing to 'donate' an hour or two per week to answer these questions and create and send the newsletter.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    OK - you made me look

I've got to admit, I like your blog

Let me know when you've got a subscribe link going.

Thanks
    Interesting blog but I have little interest in marketing ergo little interest in a newsletter. Thanks.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The problem is that of relevance at the time. I do a lot of different things in terms of the business and in my private life which requires access to a lot of information. If I were to read newsletters on the topics that I am interested in I would spend 24 hours a day reading newsletters.

I like to research each topic at my own pace. If the topic of the day is laser engraving (or whatever) I would spend many hours trawling for information, gather it all together and assimilate it at my own pace.

I am quite ADD and have a terrible short term memory. I tend to forget whatever I read unless it really tickles me or I really concentrate on the topic for a long time.

There are many issues to deal with at the moment which keep me occupied 18 hours a day at work, and roll around in my dreams at night. Having limited resources (the limited capacity of my brain) means that I have to devote my time to the most important tasks. Reading newsletters of any sort that may or may not have a bearing on the business or task at hand is simply too expensive in terms of oppertunity cost.

but...

If I were to know that you had an excellent blog and information relevant to my needs at the time, that is well written and easy to navigate, then the day that I feel the need to research the topic I am sure to spend a couple of hours reading your work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast