I purchased a computer monitor from a large dept. store about eight months ago. The monitor was a recognised brand name and came with a two year guarantee. Seven months from the date of purchase it went faulty for no apparent reason ie it wasn't dropped, bashed or abused and it wasn't a lightning strike or any other 'act of God'.

I packaged it back up in as much of the original packaging as I still had which included the plastic bag and brand printed bubble-wrap aswell as the styrofoam box inserts along with the original cables, instruction book and drivers disk.

The original receipt was archived at my book keepers premises so I took along my credit card slip which had the date, product, and amount paid listed n it.

The shop refused to take this as a receipt although it was issued by them and both parties had retained a copy. They also refused to take back the product under warranty without the exact cardboard box that it had come in. The box I packaged it in was also a monitor box, just a different one.

The matter has since been resolved but I would like to know from one of the more legal members if they were within their rights to refuse a warranty claim on those two grounds.

If they were within their rights will this change under the new consumer protection act?