Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are some ISP's so damn diffuclut to deal with?

Thanks

why are some ISP's so damn diffuclut to deal with?

I'm just curious, why are some ISP's so difficult to work with?

We have a case with Hetzner, where one of their clients moved a few domains to us and it's been such a pain in the neck todo this smoothly. We've been trying to move these domains for about 2 months now.

First they say they'll release the domains, so we initiate the domain transfer and 4 out 17 transfer succesful. When our client queried this, they had all sorts of excuses about the transfer, but say they'll approve the remaining. 3 go through. And this patern keeps on 2 months down the line. 1 domain remains.

Another story:
    Another client moved over to us, 3 years ago from Mweb. 2 months after the move their domain is still not deleted from the Mweb network, so whenever their clients (who uses Mweb as an ISP) can't email them (the emails goto the Mweb mailservers not ours). After many fights with Mweb, the client decides to leave the mail with Mweb. So they've been paying double for email hosting for 3 years now.

Yet another story:
    A client moved over from @lantic to us, but their email to 3 of their clients who still reside with DataPro doesn't go through. I've been querying this matter for 2 weeks now, and all I get from DataPro is "Your mailserver is blocked", but no actually explanation as to why. How am I supposed to fix this if I don't know why it's blocked?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

2. Thanks given for this post:

desA (06-Sep-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Domain hosting transfers can be difficult at times. I've had a few horrors. My experience is the bigger the hosting outfit, the more problems you have, particularly if they have done a "free domain registration" for you.

It helps if you lay the ground in the old profile at transfer time. Been a while since I've had to go through it, but I recall stuff like using nameserver forwarding, deleting files and email accounts as the transfer goes through... I remember finding a checklist somewhere on one of the webmaster forums that kept downtime and problems to a minimum.

I certainly wouldn't assume just because hosting has been terminated that the profile is wiped

As to why - loss of interest as the client is lost, I reckon.

Thanks
    You can add me and WebAfrica to the list, I started migrating in March if memory serves me right, still have 3 domains stuck with them and R2,000 worth of invoices for domain renewals that isn't with them or on my account with them anymore.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Thanks
    Is it a control issue, or just downright incompetence?

I've only been back in SA since mid July & I can clearly see the mess the place has moved into.

As an example. Two days to perform an interbank transfer is ludicrous. It takes less time to transfer money from abroad. I've not been overly impressed with SA, I must say.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Des, the domain hosting and transfer issue is not a uniquely South African thing. I had the devil's own job getting every internet property I owned out of Siteground not that long ago.

7. Thanks given for this post:

desA (07-Sep-10)

Thanks
    The Dot COZA is a pain to move, as it has to by the ISP but the International Domain names such as Dot COM, you can move yourself. Go to http://www.sadomain.co.za/ and register and manage it your self. You move it yourself whenever you need to as long as you have the new servers addresses.
    Michael Vella
    Web Presence Solutions - www.solutionsweb.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Domain hosting transfers can be difficult at times. I've had a few horrors. My experience is the bigger the hosting outfit, the more problems you have, particularly if they have done a "free domain registration" for you.
    That's quite true. Mweb & IS are the two most useless when it comes to domain transfers.

It helps if you lay the ground in the old profile at transfer time. Been a while since I've had to go through it, but I recall stuff like using nameserver forwarding, deleting files and email accounts as the transfer goes through... I remember finding a checklist somewhere on one of the webmaster forums that kept downtime and problems to a minimum.
    The easy approach:

1. order, pay & setup the new hosting account with the new host.
    2. Transfer / copy website files & database files across to new host's server, and test everything.
    3. setup email accounts & passwords.
    4. transfer domain.
    5. cancel hosting with current host.

6. fight with old host cause they didn't want to release domain.
    7. fight with new host cause domain doesn't propogate to new servers and website is offline
    8. call laywer and get letter to get old ISP to release domain.

heh, I'm just joking. 6-8 doesn't normally happen.
    I certainly wouldn't assume just because hosting has been terminated that the profile is wiped
    Are you referring to the client's profile on your system,or his hosting account on the server?

As to why - loss of interest as the client is lost, I reckon.
    Which I find rather funny, seeing how much effort they put in to keep the client on their side.

Quote Originally Posted by Chatmaster View Post
    You can add me and WebAfrica to the list, I started migrating in March if memory serves me right, still have 3 domains stuck with them and R2,000 worth of invoices for domain renewals that isn't with them or on my account with them anymore.
    Oh yea, I should add you as well Another ex-webafrica client had a case where they actually blacklisted her and sent an attorney's letter to try and get money our of her, after she cancelled. Apparently the accounts lady nevery actually closed her account after she cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Is it a control issue, or just downright incompetence?
    A bit of both, I think?
    Neither the client(s), nor the domain(s) was theirs to begin with. Surely the client should choose who he wants to use as an ISP, and where his domain should be hosted?

Quote Originally Posted by solweb View Post
    The Dot COZA is a pain to move, as it has to by the ISP but the International Domain names such as Dot COM, you can move yourself. Go to http://www.sadomain.co.za/ and register and manage it your self. You move it yourself whenever you need to as long as you have the new servers addresses.
    not really. other domains can often be much worse. I've had a few cases where another registrar didn't want to release a .com to our eNom account. We simply release a domain without request.

When you have, and manage your own domains it's generally fairly easy. But someone who manages a client's domains, i.e. web designer, marketing company, IT company, etc then it's often more difficult to have control over these variables.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    4. transfer domain.
    If the old host fudges on the domain transfer, at least get them to register the new nameserver settings with the domain registrar. There's far less scope for BS excuses and "procedural delays." They'll probably charge for the service, but sometimes paying a few bucks extra is cheaper than hiring a lawyer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    Are you referring to the client's profile on your system,or his hosting account on the server?
    Files on the server.

Call me paranoid, but I've heard too many stories of sites being hacked within a couple of months after they changed hosting. Bored techies can be wicked.

I reckon delete everything on the old server and change the keys to the backend on your new service.

Thanks
    Some interesting development has happened over the last 3 days. One of my clients, the one who's email is with Mweb phoned me ons Monday and said their email isn't working. We had to change the MX records, as I suspect Mweb has changed something on their side. So I change MX records as requested.

Today, their email is still not working and Mweb blames us. Interesting though, since the MX records points to corpmx.worldonline.co.za - I can't verify if this is correct though since the Mweb techs can't tell me if, and where this client's email is hosted.

Thanks
    sigh.... We've been trying to transfer a client's domain away from Mweb since 06/09/2011 and they simply don't cooperate. Evertime we request a transfer, they don't respond and then when the client ask them about it they have some other excuse why they don't accept it.

So, last week they said to the client that they only leave a one day window open to approve transfers - but they still didn't accept it.

This is just plain pathetic.

And I would highly recommend anyone thinking about doing business with to think at least 5times about it - they will cause you more harm than good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast