Thread: How dare they!!!

Gold Member
    Thanks

How dare they!!!

On Saturday evening my kids and 2 of their friends went to the local primary school carnival where they met up and hung around with old school friends from the area.

A brief description of these kids may help you understand the context of this post.
    My son: 6 ft 2 is going on 17 and plays lock for an U20 club side (Grade 11)
    His friend 1 : 6 ft plays center for U19 A side (Grade 11)
    Other friend 6 ft: built like an average 17 year old (Matric)
    My daughter: 5 foot 9 (Grade 8)

I phoned them at about 11h00 to say I am on my way to collect them, they replied that I was being paranoid, the streets are full of children and cars and people leaving, we live approximately 1 km away from the carnival, they will walk.

These 4 kids got robbed at gunpoint and one was stabbed! Josh the kid who was stabbed is thankfully fine, but all of them as large as they are, were helpless against 1 person with a gun and a knife!

Carnival/Party in area, lots of pedestrians, kids/teenagers get targeted, asked the time/ for a light /offered a cigarette all in an attempt to suss out what they have with them (either at the carnival or at the gate or just outside the gate) - perpetrators walk away and attack them around the first corner where the traffic has died down.

I am now 48 hours later ready to kill! Enough of this crap!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm reminded of a line "Don't bring a knife to a gunfight" - can't remember which movie it came from.

Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear this. It must have shaken the kids pretty badly too.

I know there have been a few times when I've felt the same way. I remember one time when my wife was a victim of a smash and grab in the vehicle right behind me. I chased the bastard in my car the wrong way down a one way street. The crowd magically parted for the perpatrator, but seemed to be getting in my way and within 100 metres he had disappeared. Rage and frustration are a powerful mix. It all happens so fast the crowd, I guess, can't figure out who's the bad guy in all this in time to make a difference. And of course, the total lack of interest at the police station (we'll never catch this guy attitude) doesn't help either.

I just wanted to

My wife, a couple of years later, still won't drive through that area on her own. And even when she's a passenger with me, she visibly stiffens when I drive through that intersection.

Thanks
    If we all went around armed to the teeth would it make it any better or worse. Imagine if we send our children out with a gun in their pocket or purse

Our best chance as ordinary people is to be the eyes and ears. The police need to do the action part. If we try I am sure we would do it badly and hurt innocent people. But the police must take us seriously and actually follow up. Sometimes I think they have given up even trying.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.