Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: strike action

Suspended
    Thanks

strike action

i didnt want to get into this subject...but man this country is becoming a sad place to live...considering that some companies have had to take some serious precautions...armed gaurds...to PROTECT YOU FROM FELLOW WORKERS...not to protect you from HARDENED CRIMMINALS...people you work with in the factory and office on adaily basis...this is a very sad day in south africa...

from months of unity and great prospects throughout the world cup...hope that things would get better in this country...to this...being protected from other staff members in your office...because you are happy with your increase being worked out according to your input into the company...and happy with your wage and package you accepted at the time of employment... i believe wage increase should be written into the employment contract...and it should be a standard increase every year...and if you as the company owner feel that the employee have proved himself...then it is your choice to reward that staff member with a better increase or bonuses during the year.

i have this all the time...people come to me on thier knees begging me for work...i feel for the person so i offer them a job...2 weeks later i get a call from the bargaining council telling me i need to come to the office to sort out a problem with one of my staff...under paying them etc etc...then i am told i have to pay out a lump sum because they have been employed with me for years etc etc...then i get told by the bargaining council people it would pay me to settle the money because i would end up wasting a lt of time and money in acourt battle...and people wonder why we use agencies to get subbies rather...i vowed many years ago after numerous battles with staff never to employ more than 2 people ever again and it times like this that just make me realise my choice was a good one...modern technology is the way forward...the less people you employ the less stress...and even though i dont make money like i use to...i enjoy running my little operation...no staff headaches.

Thanks
    Mechanisation, automation, computerisation. These are good words.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    One day the unions are going to be caught by their own cleverness, how long before we pump our petrol? Just look at the US steel industry, and the auto industry there is going the same way.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Right let us take into consideration that a lot of workers don’t get paid at all. Also take into consideration that training systems is at a basic standstill. For example CTC “if they haven’t changed policy” only accept students that are employed by the mines. So training is a no, no and then you get people arrogant enough to expect that another human must live on R600 or R800 a month? that is BS

The truth is there is not enough work for everybody, but there is no training available for people to upgrade their skills. So what you have is effectively a slave system. This system will fail and if people stop employment and start considering atomization and there many forms then the poor will have to resort to anarchy. Simple economics 101, what happens if everyone is out of work?

The truth is there enough money for training expansion and development but if that money disappears like that R300 million then development will become an impossibility.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    They are like three year old children: If you don't give me what I want I throw a tantrum. Failing that I will hold my breath till I turn blue in the face puke on the carpet.

If only one could give them slap therapy

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There strikers methods is questionable and yes many will actually lose their lives because there treatments/Medication was unavailable. The youth will suffer because they will most probably fail there school year.

But this is only the beginning, Imagine a national tools down? Imagine what will happen if a few million people get angry? Imagine what will happen if a state of martial law takes effect. Take in account how much money are gone tanks to mismanagement and corruption.

In all probability the situation will be defused and people will huddle back to their jobs. There will be one or two lawsuits but I imagine that they will be dismissed.

So nothing will change and that might be more damaging because unions will lose their credibility and once that happen “and history has shown this” you will have revolution.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    The people really need to take a few lessons out of the SE Asian copybook.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The petrol attendants are striking for a 20% increase. Gotta say I'm quite happy to pump my own petrol. Always have been.

Thanks
    Here is some stats I got from a newsletter from the preservation fund consultant.
    In the World Economic Forum's Global Competitiveness Index, South Africa is ranked 45th out of 133 countries. It is 24th in economic market size and scores very well in areas such as financial markets, where it is an admirable 5th in the world. But, as the survey puts it, "South Africa's competitiveness would be enhanced by tackling some enduring weaknesses. The country ranks 90th in labour market efficiency, with inflexible hiring and firing practices (125th), a lack of flexibility in wage determination by companies (123rd), and poor labour-employer relations (121st). "
    Until we get a fairer labour judicial system relatively free from politics we will continue down the wrong path. From my stand point the system is too heavily in favour of the the employee at the moment.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

10. Thank given for this post:

AndyD (01-Sep-10), Dave A (01-Sep-10), desA (01-Sep-10)

Thanks
    ^ Some excellent points.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.