Thread: SARS intensifies Small Business Tax Amnesty campaign

Silver Member
    Thanks

SARS intensifies Small Business Tax Amnesty campaign

I hope i am creating this in the right place.... if not just move it to the correct place and let me know where that may be. Thanks
    __________________________________________________ ___________

Pretoria - The South African Revenue Service (SARS) is intensifying its campaign to encourage small business owners to apply for amnesty.

SARS officials will visit various business premises on Friday in Hatfield, Pretoria, to establish whether they are registered for tax.

Most of these are formal businesses.

Officials will also investigate whether the businesses have any outstanding issues with SARS, and whether their proprietors are aware of the small business tax amnesty and had applied.

"During today's initiative in Hatfield, businesses operating outside the tax net will be firmly cautioned that they are breaking the law," said SARS in a statement.

The team of about 40 SARS officials will be led by the SARS executive and leave amnesty application forms with each business that qualifies for the amnesty.

Further to this, officials will offer assistance to business owners on how to apply for the amnesty.

SARS will record their details and conduct follow-up visits to each of the entities found to be non-compliant.

Audit activities and possible prosecutions will also be considered in the case of non-compliance.

"Today's action is in line with the commitment the Minister of Finance made to Parliament and the public in this year's Budget Speech in respect of the Small Business Tax Amnesty," SARS said, adding that it would continue to intensify its efforts to ensure that all businesses are afforded the opportunity to apply for amnesty.

The deadline for the amnesty remains 31 May 2007.

"After the deadline SARS will assume a vigorous enforcement campaign against businesses that are not tax compliant".

The amnesty period took effect in August 2006 and is available to businesses with a turnover of less than R10 million.

To date SARS has received 15 383 application forms from business owners.

Similar visits to business areas will take place in other regions of the country over the next few weeks.

The contact details for the SARS Small Business Tax Amnesty, where enquiries can be referred to or application forms obtained from are 0860 12 12 20 or email sbau@sars.gov.za. - BuaNews
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is actually pretty close to a post in this thread. But I'm going to leave it here so that there is more chance of visitors finding the issue.

We're coming down the home straight on the countdown here.

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    What exactly is the point of having a deadline when you keep extending it? It sets a precedence for not bothering with the deadline because "They will extend it anyway..."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think the first mistake was setting the deadline so far out. It created a situation where the "Just in timers", which always make up the bulk, would end up with a fairly big historical bill. Way cheaper than if they had paid all their taxes due, but enough to be a deterrent.

Just bear in mind that part of the deal is paying your income tax for the 2006 tax year. You've got time to pay it off, sure. But now it means the bill is for income tax 2006 and 2007, not to mention VAT, PAYE and the rest of the tribe for the 2007 tax year.

It could add up to a tidy lump sum. Again - a saving against what should have been paid, but a hurdle to overcome in seemingly one jump nontheless.

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Makes you think why the guys who really care, take the time to spend with accountants in order to get their stuff done on time and correctly...

Has anyone got any figures or know of somewhere where figures are posted on the amount of taxi-owners who have owed up to SARS as the big flurry of comments when the amnesty was declared was about it being mainly about taxi associations being the target of it all for the main part...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see we got the total number of applications captured here - 220 000. But I can't remember seeing the taxi split (which of course were the original targeted beneficiaries in the first place).

Which reminds me - Not much news lately on the taxi recapitalisation front that I've noticed.

Thanks
    Bugger, you beat me to it while I was searching for the info on the forum

I am pleased that announce that the South African Revenue Service (Sars) has received two hundred and seventy five thousand three hundred and ninety eight (275 398) applications for this amnesty. After an initial slow take up, the last two weeks saw thousands of applications flooding into SARS offices. With the kind 'permission' of the Chair of the Portfolio Committee on Finance we allowed two extra days for applications as the queues at Sars offices were very long despite offices being open for longer hours. (from this speech)
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog