Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HSPDA problem

Thanks
    Hi irneb,

Thanks for your reply. I've actually just got off the phone with Micro-D and apparently the U132 doesn't support the I-Burst PCMCIA cards. Which kind of narrows down everything to getting the new I-Burst modem as they are saying there is nothing out there (like the U132) that would actually work. Plus they said the price is round about the same so there isn't much else that we can do.

Again, thanks for your reply and all the info!!

Thanks
    If the U-132 does not support the iBurst modem, and you are planning to stay with iBurst, then the best option is probably their USB modem.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has iBurst come out with an express card version? That would seem the logical solution.

The advantage of the USB solution is it is more "universal", but USB slots wear out
    And on a laptop any kind of repair of a broken part is substantially more expensive than one would wish for.

I can highly recommend avoiding the converter route, such as the U132, if at all possible. It has worked for me (at least most of the time), but what a PITA. Not to mention you can't upgrade software.

You get a laptop for convenience. You get a wireless solution for convenience. That extra box to connect the two - I simply can't wait to be rid of it! *SIGH* Another four months

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Has iBurst come out with an express card version? That would seem the logical solution.
    No. I actually haven't seen any express cards....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Oh well ... that's exactly what the client would want ... but of course we're in SA & all these companies have learned from Telkom how not to provide for their clients ...

The idea with a laptop is not to have extra cables and adapters and cards and .... and .... and ..... You can't buy any new laptop with a PCMCIA slot - they've been discontinued for a few years already, you may find a secondhand laptop (but do you want to ). So why do they still sell these? You'd expect it to be the other way round: i.e. you can't find those old cards anymore, instead of you can't use them anymore.

I don't think it's just the logical solution, but rather the only solution which would make their clients happy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    So why do they still sell these? You'd expect it to be the other way round: i.e. you can't find those old cards anymore, instead of you can't use them anymore.
    SA sure is a great place to dump redundant technology stock.

Thanks
    I had a quick look at the info on Kyocera's website (they created the iBurst system) - currently only PCMCIA are available, but take a closer look at the page, and ExpressCard version is due to launch in December (hopefully iBurst SA will get them soon after that).

On a different note, 2Mbps terminals are due in March 2008.

Thanks

Smile Thank you!

I just want to say thank you to everyone that gave me a response. My boss eventually decided to go with the I-Burst modem since he really didn't have any other alternative.

Again thank you and have a great holiday everyone!!

Thanks
    It's a pleasure ...
    Quote Originally Posted by MonaMoo View Post
    eventually decided to go with the I-Burst modem
    Well, that's just it ... it's the simplest solution available at present. You still have a loose thing dangling off your knee at the airport lounge - unless of course there is a wi-fi connection, then you don't need it.

BTW, apparently SA is close to on par with the rest of the world on wireless connections (see http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Broadband/317.html). At least comparing price / speed.

Thanks
    Boy, have I been up and on today... My 3G is falling apart! Sometimes I have access to the web other times I can only receive email. Then again I connect on 2G. It is getting really annoying.
    Roelof Vermeulen (Entrepreneurship in large organizations)
    Roelof Vermeulen| Rock flaps south africa

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast