Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crime

Suspended
    Thanks

Crime

unfortunately...these people are sh*tting on my door step...i spoke to my other neighbour today...who i havent spoken to yet since i moved in...he told me about how they broke into his vehicle and damaged it...i got a call from a mate who lives up the road and he got hit this morning at around 3 am...now both sides of my house...across the road and 2 deaths behind my house...it time to find a solution...one of the reasons i moved here was everyone was telling me how safe it was here...i can see by all the razor wire being put up everyday that this is no longer the case.

so the time has come to put measures in place to slow them down...

we need to come up with better solutions short term...because the crime is getting worse and more violent.

any suggestions would be appreciated...cheap effective measures.

here are some of the measures i think would help...

we need to get more active parols in the area...the old...ADT...COIN etc are not effective security measures...they take too long to respond and dont cover specific areas...i believe people are wasting their money on an old system which is no longer effective enough...response time need to be 3 - 5 minutes max...if the security company cannot offer this you are wasting your time and money...it take longer than 20 minutes to get to a call out...ten years ago these response comapnies were fine...not anymore.

beams all over the garden with cctv cameras...because i believe once they get into your house it is already too late...

an addtional fence to keep the dogs away from the boundry fence because i see there is a notice again at the shop warning people about them poisening the animals in our area again...then beams will go between the boundry fence and the inner fence...it is a pity you dont get a laser which cuts if anyone enters that part of the property...piano wire pulled tight in that area randomy spaced...so if they get past the beams and the dogs chase them best they dont forget to duck for the wire.

the family need to go for fire arm and self defence training...the kids need to be familerised with the firearms on how to use them and the dangers so that they can be left in key places if required at any time of day or night...not locked in a safe.

there are planty more things but i dont have time right now...i will continue...

unfortunatley for some of us living in SA this is a reality and until we wake up and smell the roses will become a reality for more and more people as the poverty gets worse...the crimminals get wiser and more braizen.

2. Thanks given for this post:

rad (28-Sep-10)

Gold Member
    Thanks
    You seem to already have a good idea what to do. Just a word of warning. If those firearms get stolen or go missing and they were not in an approved or on the person of the licence holder, you'll have major legal problems.

Some suggestions working from your house out:

The house:
    - Have a traditional house alarm with armed response. They still serve an important purpose.
    - Make sure possible entrances have solid security in the form of security gates and burglar bars.
    - Try and separate the sleeping area from the rest of the house with another security gate.

Now for the garden:
    - To avoid dogs being poisoned, either let them sleep inside and act as a warning mechanism or as per your suggestion in an internally fenced off area away from the perimeter.
    - Install beams and sensors which I would actually not link to the response company. Rather get them to set off an internal alarm to just warn you, such as a buzzer. They still create too many false alarms and the associated drama of response officers arriving every time its triggered, can get painful and irritating. Simply use them to alert you of possible problems.
    - Sensor lights that go on when sensing movement can be a minor deterrant too.

Perimeter:
    - Make the wall uncomfortable to climb, eg spikes.
    - Electric fencing is also a deterrant, but has its flaws. Use it if you can.
    - Palisade fencing instead of a wall. Its more difficult to climb and exposes the criminals to being seen from the road by passeres by whilst committing the crime. Of course it also makes it a bit easier to see what they could target - but not much.

Further out:
    - Make sure you know all your neighbours. 3 or 4 properties down in each direction, behind you, across the road etc. Have their cell numbers and look out for each other.
    - Get to know who should be in your road: residents, boyfriends of residents, domestic workers, tennants, etc. If you see anybody else, notify police or security company to check out.
    - Limit the number of domestic workers. They can (sometimes unwittingly) give out information on what is available to steal, who lives there and how to get in.
    - Club together with local residents to employ a proactive security company that patrols your streets looking for trouble makers, before they attack. By monitoring unknown pedestrians, loiterers and suspicious cars, you make it difficult for them to plan an attack.
    - Get involved with your local SAPS or CPF. It keeps you informed on crime trends in your area and makes you much more aware of possible trouble and what to look out for.
    - Use one of the local cell phone type emergency buttons which allows you to notify your neighbours when something happens. This is useful when you have suspicious persons in your street. The button can be triggered and others can come out into the road. The extra eyes, will make crooks move off elsewhere. Also useful during an incident as your neighbours may be able to help much quicker than security or police.

Just some thoughts.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BusFact View Post
    You seem to already have a good idea what to do. Just a word of warning. If those firearms get stolen or go missing and they were not in an approved or on the person of the licence holder, you'll have major legal problems. this i will worry about if it happens

Some suggestions working from your house out:

The house:
    - Have a traditional house alarm with armed response. They still serve an important purpose....done
    - Make sure possible entrances have solid security in the form of security gates and burglar bars...done
    - Try and separate the sleeping area from the rest of the house with another security gate.done

Now for the garden:
    - To avoid dogs being poisoned, either let them sleep inside and act as a warning mechanism or as per your suggestion in an internally fenced off area away from the perimeter....the property is in such a way that i can keep them away from the road
    - Install beams and sensors which I would actually not link to the response company. Rather get them to set off an internal alarm to just warn you, such as a buzzer. They still create too many false alarms and the associated drama of response officers arriving every time its triggered, can get painful and irritating. Simply use them to alert you of possible problems....i have put some thought it this and i agree with you...the robogaurd seem to be the best on the market...a little pricey but you get what you pay for
    - Sensor lights that go on when sensing movement can be a minor deterrant too...i have security lights linked to a day/night switch...which stay on all night...will be installing 2 x1500 watt flood light for each side of the house if i need to see down the side and to wake up the neighbours in case they are not aware there is a problem.

Perimeter:
    - Make the wall uncomfortable to climb, eg spikes...to be fitted soon
    - Electric fencing is also a deterrant, but has its flaws. Use it if you can...will be fitting razor wire both sides of the fence
    - Palisade fencing instead of a wall. Its more difficult to climb and exposes the criminals to being seen from the road by passeres by whilst committing the crime. Of course it also makes it a bit easier to see what they could target - but not much...fence is already up right around the property with new big steel gates

Further out:
    - Make sure you know all your neighbours. 3 or 4 properties down in each direction, behind you, across the road etc. Have their cell numbers and look out for each other...meet the one neighbour day we arrived and have been looking out for each other since...made point of introducing myself to the opposite neighbour today...and now just the back neighbour and across the road to meet...found out today the crime is worse than i thought...more has been happening than i have heard about...3 hijacking not only one...etc etc
    - Get to know who should be in your road: residents, boyfriends of residents, domestic workers, tennants, etc. If you see anybody else, notify police or security company to check out...we have a private security gaurd who drives around 24 hours a day doing this in 5 streets....he is not part of adt or any other company works on his own...was a police officer
    - Limit the number of domestic workers. They can (sometimes unwittingly) give out information on what is available to steal, who lives there and how to get in...this could be a challenge but i noticed they all sit together in the afternoon waiting for the taxi...so i need to find out who works where and if ther eare any new ones in the area to get info on them
    - Club together with local residents to employ a proactive security company that patrols your streets looking for trouble makers, before they attack. By monitoring unknown pedestrians, loiterers and suspicious cars, you make it difficult for them to plan an attack...we already have a person like this...the only problem is he seems to have become like all the other security companies no as visible as before...he is always the first to get to the properties when there is a problem...
    - Get involved with your local SAPS or CPF. It keeps you informed on crime trends in your area and makes you much more aware of possible trouble and what to look out for...we are busy with this at the moment...never had a need for it until recently...when they have moved into our area
    - Use one of the local cell phone type emergency buttons which allows you to notify your neighbours when something happens. This is useful when you have suspicious persons in your street. The button can be triggered and others can come out into the road. The extra eyes, will make crooks move off elsewhere. Also useful during an incident as your neighbours may be able to help much quicker than security or police...i agree with you on this one and need to implement this ASAP

Just some thoughts.
    thanks

i am sure this will help others who find themselves in this situation as they move into other areas.

one other thing i am considering is have tear gas linked to a panic buttons...all over the house...on my head board of my bed...etc...so if we are over powered or they get into the house...i would rather we are all gassed and they leave my family to get away...can worry about the gas and after effect when everything settles down...it is just so sad that we have to live like this and all that so called properganda they warned us about during national service has become a reality unfortunetly...it is a pity we cant put anti personel and claymore mines in the garden...anyone know where i can source a hand full of these...as a last line of defense just outside my doors and windows

Thanks
    This is a subject that really raises my blood pressure. I lay all these problems at the foot of our government. It is their fault as they do not uphold the constitution which is supposed to protect our rights. Maybe we need to get some clever MP to promulgate legislation for re-imbursing us private citizens for expenses involved in installing security systems to keep us safe.

President Zuma made an appeal during the world cup for the criminals to behave themselves during this period. Crime was definitely a lot less but has unfortunately increased quite dramatically again. This leads me to ask the question as to who controls the criminals in this country- Zuma???

Maybe we should all submit an application to Beke Cele for AK47,s and hand grenades to protect ourselves. If enough people apply he might just take notice.

Thanks
    Can you folks continue to live in fear like this?
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch Hannan View Post
    Maybe we should all submit an application to Beke Cele for AK47,s and hand grenades to protect ourselves. If enough people apply he might just take notice.
    i think this is the direction this country is heading

we found the only thing that worked up on the border was a strap...a big stick and a steel table...50 lashes like this we never had any problems with that indivudual for a long time...

when we where kids and miss behaved we were taken to the polic station and whipped 6 of the best...we were still naughty but the thought of gettting lashed stuck in the back of your mind...i got use to it because even at school i got caned every day because i didint believe in doing homework...so it was literally 2 for each subject....sometimes i got lucky and never got caught so would only get 4 or 6 for the day.

and not fogetting my mother she would beat the living daylights out of me for anything from not listening to not eating all my food...coming home late...sneaking out at night to get up to mischief...now look at me...such a well behaved person

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It is sad to say it, but censorship is becoming self-imposed. We do not speak out against our criminal-police officers that are clearly shown on television. We do not act when action is required. Our Aria used to have good patrolling systems. Our neighbourhood watch was really working. But then two mines closed down half of the people here lost their jobs almost overnight.

Honestly this country isn’t worth it anymore. We die by the thousands and our police give out documents with old guesstimates thinking we the public are too stupid figure it out. If you have the money get out! Start over...

I have considered bricking up the windows and make them so small that a human would not be able to get through the space. Get a crossbow; it will shoot right through a person and impalement works. Also bricks is less expensive then steel bars so it is cheap.

Secondly reinforce your doors as much as possible also consider a security door both in front and behind your normal door that will slow them down. Also remember that a criminal has more rights than you do... “So do it by the book”

I modified these lights you get with the movement sensor, and fitted a 220v relay where the lights normally are fitted, from that point you can connect anything to it. “Use your imagination” it can activate almost anything.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    It's a terrible situation that has to be solved from the top down. Unfortunately applying first world legal solutions to South Africa's unique problems, as has been done until now, will not work. However, with the stupendous level of corruption that exists it would be naive to think that crime could be tackled effectively on its own. The shortage of jobs also doesn't help. When the government, local, provincial and state, realise that they are public servants and are privileged to be serving all South African citizens, and they start doing a good job because it is what is what they should be doing, not because it is the get-rich-quick scheme that it is now, perhaps things will improve. Although, to be honest, I don't think we will ever get to that. The corruption is now ingrained and the cancer of crime is now endemic.

Suspended
    Thanks
    its not everyone elses problem it is our problem...you cant blame the corupt police you cant blame the corupt goverment officials ...you can only blame yourself...the police are not going to solve of crime problem in this country...we have to do it ourselves and until we stand up and start doing something about it nothing will change...i know of one community which had high crime stats...they took action themselves...set up night patrols and cleaned up the area...crime rate down by a huge percentage...i tried to join the group but they dont cover my area.

we have police community meetings and nobody arrives for the meetings...we have breakins and nobody helps...i stand the like a fool in the road on my own...and the joke is i am not the one who has been broken into...as my wife mentioned the other day...if they dont want to get involved why are you endangering your life and everyone else stands looking from behind the curtain...so i have have stopped helping...i have taken precautions for myself and just hope i dont get nailed...the other problem is none of my neighbours have taken precaution...so i am exposed from all sides.

the only way we can sort out our problems is to sort them out ourselves...until people realise this nothing will change...what is very imortant is you need to make the sure the crimminals dont come back...it is too easy for these crimminals thats why they are targeting us and our families.

we need to scap these reaction units and start putting our money into more effective reaction units...these coin...adt...blue have just become money making rackets like everything else...and the more crime spreads the more money they make and until people wake up and realise thie they will just keep taking your money.

tell me of one security company which actually gets involved in the community meetings and takes reactive measures to curb the crime...all you see is a presence of vehicle in an area when they need more bussiness the crime goes up and more bussiness for them then you see the same vehicle covers huge areas...with a 20 minute reaction time pathetic it should be 3 -5 minutes other wise get rid of them...it means they either donthave enough vehicles or the area is too bit which they cover...less vehicles and staff more profits....come on people wake up...its our problem and we need to fix it...why wait till your wife mother or daughter is raped...all women should join the fight against rape...not only once they are raped then suddenly want to start a rape crisis centre and expect everyone suddenly to help...do it now before you become a stat...i believe once it has happened it is tooooo late...prevention is better than cure.

we had a similar situation where a person in our area started a small security /patroling company....he offered vip for whan you arrived home you could call him if you were gona be home late and he would wait at you gate to make sure access was clear...for about 2 years you would see the patrol vehicle 4...5.sometimes 10 times inthe day or night...crime went down...his customer base grew....now you lucky if you see him every 3 months or so and guess what the crime has risen...i for one cancealled my subscription...waste of money until i see him more active he wont get my suport.

Thanks

How bad is the crime really?

I don't believe that crime stats are fully reported as the incidence of crime seems to be much worse than we are being told. We need to keep each other informed. Perhaps Dave A can put a new category on the ForumSA for us members to report crimes as they happen? this way we will be helping each other to form a stats list and help identify "hot spots".

As SA sinks further into the poverty pit, criminals have nothing to lose so crime begins to pay, IE. If i'm starving to death anyway, why not just commit a crime and get into jail where I will have free board and lodgings with meals, it's a very poor living standard, but it is a living, and the worse the crime, the longer I get to "enjoy" the free life, it's still a death sentence but takes a little longer.

Criminals don't fear the law anymore, the punishment for the crime is but a small price to pay.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast