Thread: Starcraft 2

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Starcraft 2

Starcraft 2 was probably one of the many hopefuls but again tanks to game registrations this game will not see its full potential. One my only hope that a play-station version will come out soon. Blizzard Entertainment was slow to release this game because they couldn’t give a crap about what the players wanted.

There absolute pathetic attempt to mimic Steams registration to play model is basically nothing less than forcing gamers to give up their private information and home address so that they may stalk you for the rest of your natural life.

I cannot say how much I hate Blizzard right now, they are really just so arrogant in there approach to the gamer with their “it is our away and only our way” I honestly hope that they go bankrupted and get liquidated because this was NOT what the gamers wanted. You don’t even get to play a standard LAN game. No you have to use their abortion system in order to get any joy out of the game.

As always you pay good money for a game. This game will set you back about R600 and again you don’t get the complete game because you have to download over 60MB of updates and enter in a forced registration process that in total eats up about 70MB in total.

Now once you activate the game you need to keep the game online permanently because going offline crashes the game and the so called play as “guest account” simply doesn’t work. Just to point out how bad this game is on bandwidth you are looking at 6mb just to watch the intro of the game. And that IS on single player mode. Offline mode doesn’t work at all for some reason as stated before the “guest accounts” doesn’t work at all.

The question comes down to this, what is the point in buying a game for your entertainment and it cannot work offline. I wish there was some way that I could sue Blizzard but unfortunately they think they are gods. But this brings me to my point of this post. Don’t buy this computer games it is a waste of money.

It will cost you the Game at R600 then it will cost you about R2000 on its lifetime connected to the internet and nothing is worth that much just for a simple game. Honestly Blizzard Entertainment makes a respected “strip-club” cheap! Other than that Starcraft 2 is just filled with disappointments! No wonder they had a "no money back" warning on the box and they did!!!!

Also Fact; out of the 400 that is four-hundred pre-orders only 2 people actually purchased the game and I being one of the two idiots. I hoped that the rumours about the offline guest account were true but it wasn’t true at all just more Blizzard Entertainment propaganda!!

From this point forward I can safely say that 400 game players are done with Blizzard Entertainment I hope more will follow and Blizzard Entertainment will end up broke and forgotten.

So from my point of view: Blizzard Entertainment gets the official “YOU SUCK” award.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Now I wonder if this is Fraud or not? I got my Original game and this is the error I get. So from this I can safely say your original is NOT a complete game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	offline 6.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	1318  
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Starcarft II Accountant’s Addition.

The horror... Yes it is true Starcraft II is not like those before. The first two additions you had it all. Yes, the storyline in the original Starcraft was good and even Starcraft Brood Wars was to a degree relatively complete.

So you pay your R600 for the game bite the bullet connect your 3G modem and install it. Then you have to keep it online to play the game in single player. Now because of my real world expenses I had to play it with cheats to keep my connection time down. So I rushed through the game and couldn’t even enjoy the eye candy and the finer details of the game.

In the end Starcraft II Accountant’s Addition give me my final disappointment in the game... Yes unlike those before the storyline is incomplete. You don’t get to play all 3 races and battle it out to the bitter end and see a proper ending. No you get just another slap in the face. They want more money!!! They will release the game in sections forcing you to fork out more cash!!!! Forcing you to use their website! How pathetic!!!!

Thankfully there are unsupported patch that allows you to play offline.

So from the best seller with more than 11 million copies sold. Blizzard Entertainment decided to reward the gaming world with an incomplete internet junky of a game that you can’t even enjoy with your friends on a standard LAN.

The next release will probably be in the 26th century so I will not even worry about it. So in my eyes: sorry to say Blizzard Entertainment you failed!! And because of this I cannot be bothered to get Diablo III because you probably did a half ass job and that too.
    peace is a state of mind

Email problem
    Thanks
    This is the first time ive randomly registered to a forum to reply to a single thread. Before i start i have to have it know that i AM a blizzard fan. I play war3, wow and now sc2 (i was part of both sc2's betas), but this will in no way influence my response here.

You start yelling off about how bad blizzard is, about how much things cost and how long they take from design-to-shelf, then you make comments like "Blizzard Entertainment was slow to release this game because they couldn’t give a crap about what the players wanted."

Do you have any idea how ungrounded and contradicting that is? Blizzard spent an enormous amount of time in the testing phase in order to find out exactly what players wanted and how to implement it. Every single one of blizzard's games strive to be as enjoyable to the gamer as possible. Besides Activision (makers of Call of Duty... though i suppose after they broke up it doesnt matter anymore) blizzard are one of the top user-orientated game designers in the market, they are constantly releasing updates and content. Sure they make you pay for it, but they are a company at the end of the day and their end goal is to make money from it.

"absolute pathetic attempt to mimic Steams registration to play model"
    This is also completely untrue. The pvpgn1 server created by blizzard was inplace way before steam ever decided to get involved with heavy online gaming. You know normal warcraft3? Where you log into their servers known as "Battle.net". That's what im talking about.

"private information and home address so that they may stalk you for the rest of your natural life. "
    This has been a topic for mass discussion recently and there are quite a few sides to it. While i believe there is a limit to how much information people display on accounts i think that a unified gaming system(consisting of all games designed by a company) is a good step towards connecting designers to gamers. This allows users to better control their online games while allowing designers to morph games into what the users would want.

"You don’t even get to play a standard LAN game."
    This is one point i can agree on. Blizzard have pushed the bill with their pvpgn2 server and are seriously hampering the more serious gamers. No lan means no lan competitions. If a big gaming event wanted to have a SC2 tournament they would have to spend an enormous amount of time and resources getting permision (if it were even possible) from blizzard to emulate their servers.

"One my only hope that a play-station version will come out soon."
    You may notice im pulling things in a random order from your post, im literally grabbing the first illogical statements i see. This one has to take the cake... Are you seriously sujesting that you would play an RTS on a playstation?

"This game will set you back about R600"+"and the so called play as “guest account” simply doesn’t work."
    All games are rediculously expensive for the first few months after release... i remember seeing one of the Final Fantasy games going for R800. I personally went half/half on a collectors edition box set. I wanted the game and he literally just wanted the artwork book that came with it. I'll never understand industrial designers.
    With the box set comes 2 trial accounts with a very short "7 hours of playtime", but i suppose it is very early in the release period. If you cant get the guest account thing working then you're doing it wrong. It worked for us first time and we've had no problem since. It allows you to play the sc2 singleplayer campaign but will not update all your "achivements".
    1) Log into the game with your normal battlenet account
    2) Log out
    3) Log in as a guest.
    Im about 90% sure you do not require an internet connection to play.

"Also Fact; out of the 400 that is four-hundred pre-orders only 2 people actually purchased"
    You're blaming the wrong people here, if i book for a movie and dont go pick up my tickets and watch it, is it the movie theatre's fault? No its my fault, im the idiot.

"Now because of my real world expenses I had to play it with cheats to keep my connection time down."
    Im not even going to validate this with a response.

I have re-read your second post and i actually agree with the last 50% of it. "And because of this I cannot be bothered to get Diablo III because you probably did a half ass job and that too." I seroiusly hope they dont stuff D3 up as im looking forward to it even more than i was sc2.

At the end of the day mate, you get what you pay for. Sc2 is in no way a bad game, it is just aimed at a more serious gamer than you are. They have added in a few systems as a test to see if they can manage all their games on a higher level and have succeeded in some aspects and failed in other. You cannot torch a company for attempting to take a step forward in gaming without giving credit where credit is due. If we all just shot down gaming companies for their faults we would end up without games. Granted, Blizzard are ripping the ring out of their consumers a bit with their prices, but if you honestly do have such a huge problem with the game then wait untill they go the same way they went with warcraft3 servers. A patch was released that didnt require a cd to play with (who does anyway?) and the code for pvpgn1 was distributed to allow people to host their own servers.

I hope they do bring out lan in the future, it would be a sin not to... but brace yourself for what they will be doing to D3.

~styx

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Styx View Post
    This is the first time ive randomly registered to a forum to reply to a single thread.

Welcome any - even if you're just passing through.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Styx

Every single one of blizzard's games strive to be as enjoyable to the gamer as possible. Besides Activision (makers of Call of Duty... though i suppose after they broke up it doesnt matter anymore) blizzard are one of the top user-orientated game designers in the market, they are constantly releasing updates and content. it.
    Well in the end it doesn’t matter because A> what is enjoyable if you cannot even LAN with your friends? The game is designed to be an internet junky and B> I understand that game development takes time, but damn it took forever!!! Honestly look at the timeline.

This is also completely untrue. The pvpgn1 server created by blizzard was inplace way before steam ever decided to get involved with heavy online gaming. You know normal warcraft3? Where you log into their servers known as "Battle.net". That's what im talking about
    First of I was pointing to this BS account to play games story. In the old days you pay for a game and play the game and enjoy the experience. In my personal experience Steam games was the first game that actually needed an online registration. Most of my games was just a simple CD key and you play the game.

"One my only hope that a play-station version will come out soon."
    You may notice im pulling things in a random order from your post, im literally grabbing the first illogical statements i see. This one has to take the cake... Are you seriously sujesting that you would play an RTS on a playstation
    YES!! And here is why, first of play-station games don’t need BS online accounts to work. So if I have to invest in a Xbox for that then so be it. Also I thought you are a serious gamer have a look at Command and Conquer 3 for Xbox. The fact is it works.

The point I am making is this if D3 doesn’t have normal LAN support then what is the point? Secondly I am sure you played the First Starcraft and its expansion. Can you look me in the eye and say it wasn’t fun having a complete storyline out of the box?

And before you rip me to pieces think about the timeline they had for this game. And it is incomplete I don’t care what you say.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    wow, tec0, you sound p1ssed off.

My advise: move to the UK / USA, or don't bother buying online games

I also used to LAN a lot, but soon started playing online (Modern Warfare 2, League of Legends, Quakeonline, Lord of the rings online, etc) And now I got Starcraft 2. WOW!!!!!! It's probably an understatement. The game play is awesome and I love the fact that I can now set it to be more difficult and play much longer.

60MB is nothing, really nothing. But then again I don't play on 3G (I got ADSL at the office and at home and reseve 3G for business & holiday trips).

Oh, and I only paid about R350-odd for mine, didn't think I needed the collectors "junk". Never used my Warcraft III collectors "memorabelia".
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Angry yes... Disappointed yes... See again I must point out No LAN so again no competitions or LAN parties. That is only half of what is really wrong with this game. Secondly is the storyline, It was disappointing to realize that for your money you only get to play a limited game. Almost no Protoss action and no Zerg storyline. Also you cannot practise anything so it’s a waste.

Blizzard Entertainment had more than 10+ years to get it right!!! And it is for this reason why I wish Blizzard Entertainment disappears. For 10+ years you get an incomplete game, no offline functionality nothing! Just a title and an internet junky.

But if others is satisfied with it then who am I to argue.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Angry yes... Disappointed yes... See again I must point out No LAN so again no competitions or LAN parties. That is only half of what is really wrong with this game. Secondly is the storyline, It was disappointing to realize that for your money you only get to play a limited game. Almost no Protoss action and no Zerg storyline. Also you cannot practise anything so it’s a waste.

Blizzard Entertainment had more than 10+ years to get it right!!! And it is for this reason why I wish Blizzard Entertainment disappears. For 10+ years you get an incomplete game, no offline functionality nothing! Just a title and an internet junky.

But if others is satisfied with it then who am I to argue.
    I can see where you're coming from, but in all honesty, I think you're in the wrong market. And probably in the minority for that matter as well. I already sold 76 copies since it was launched, which does say something about it being a likable game. I think when it comes to online gaming, we're (South Africa) in the minority and it's very clear when you play as well. There are far more USA & UK based servers & players than ZA.

Everything is moving online, whether we like it or not.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Supporting the winning horse can have its drawbacks. See not too long ago “think it was 2000 to 2002” the web markets crashed. After the crash it left a big hole and a lot of technology doing not much to be honest.

Slowly the gaming market started to consume this infrastructure. Online games will most probably see an all time high before it crashes. But it will crash. See right now everyone needs to spend money to buy a game then spend more money on ISPs. Thus entertainment becomes a living organism that will demand maintenance and constant funding.

Here is the thing:

A> You invest money in something that gives you zero returns.
    B> If the company closes down for any reason you can no longer use your game.
    C> Your information safety is always at risk simply because you don’t know who is on the other end.

Now stand alone offline games with LAN Support are more enjoyable and that is the end of it really. But big companies wants total control, there investors wants profits massif profits. So they turn gaming into an addiction. Every aspect of the game becomes billable. And the reality is when these investors pull the plug the game dies with it.

So when it comes to value, your game is worthless because it needs server support and accounts that is now dead. You invested a total of R4500+ per year on something that gives you no returns. And if the account itself is billable then you lose that too...

Now also remember that you will probably play more than one game thus those costs still needs to be added to all of this. And effectively these games are incomplete because they need updates with activation codes and all kinds of stuff thus you have no real way to enjoy it 3 to 5 years from now. Old games had this value...

Honestly take a long look at this structure before you say I am stupid...

Not only is fishing cheaper, you can actually channel all this money into a 5 year investment plan and that is worth more simply because you get a return...
    peace is a state of mind

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.