Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice

Thanks
    I'm also disappointed to hear that the company stance is to put their immediate wants above safety of employees and to shun legislation. I'm sorry to hear that you're in this position but I don't see anything you could have reasonably done differently.
    From the info you've given, the law will in all likelyhood find in your favour on all aspects of the dispute but that doesn't mean you won't get a hard time until judgement is passed or an arbitration ruling is made. Unfortunately, and from what you have said through no fault of your own, you're in a position where you'll have to be proactive and keep moving forward to see this matter to a conclusion.

Good luck.

Thanks
    *Bump*
    Any news....hopefully good news greasemonkey?

Thanks
    So far no news, I have a lawyer handling the dismissal. Still in progress
    The other electrician tucked his tail and ran when he heard of the dispute.They now have a quote of R250 000 to repair the factory.I have not handed the dispute forms in yet,I was waiting for the COC from the other electrician.Will probably do it monday

Thanks
    It is a pity this does not get more publicity. Maybe you should send something to "Special Assignment" so that the public can become aware of the dangers of not having respect for electricity. They might just wake up and stop trusting the COCs' supplied by estate agents which were paid for with bottles of whisky.
    For standing your ground you certainly deserve a holiday compliments of UIF.

Thanks
    Thx
    I have been contacted by the DOL (via the lawyer) so things are happening.
    Heres some more to chew on
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	1358

Name:	13.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	1359

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	1360

Name:	17.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	1361

Name:	18.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	1362
    The first pic is the main incomer and db.I had to climb through a broken window to get to it! Needless to say, I broke a hole in the wall to access it.
    The second pic is showing the incoming cable - no breaker/isolator or even fuses just straight onto the busbars.the other end is in the municipal sub
    Third pic is the DB attached to this mess
    Fourth pic is a DB that is completely packed in
    Fifth pic is a 150 amp cb tied on with wire ,check the condition and size of wires in general.

Suspended
    Thanks
    if there is an investigation and lawyers involved...be careful what you post on a public forum.

7. Thanks given for this post:

greasemonkey (06-Sep-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    if there is an investigation and lawyers involved...be careful what you post on a public forum.
    I have been at pains to not mention names or places.As for pictures ....

Thanks
    Yes, you need to be cautious, but as you say, you have not mentioned names. The pictures could serve to enlighten someone though. Hopefully the DOL as to the state of the industry. I am certain this is not the only installation that looks like this. After the announcement that old age homes would be inspected I have not heard of one being inspected. I have however been commissioned to do one here in PE. Hopefully someone else will also take the initiative and enlighten another home as to the legal requirements and consequences of non-compliance. I just took a peak in one roofspace armed with a camera and the evidence along with a nice proposal has provided me with a good commission. You are definately setting a fine example to aspiring electricians. Your refusal to issue a COC is totally correct. Reporting it is also correct. I have no doubt that the setup there could have cost a life at some point in time had you kept quiet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    Your refusal to issue a COC is totally correct. Reporting it is also correct. I have no doubt that the setup there could have cost a life at some point in time had you kept quiet.
    Anyone who issues a COC it that place should do jail time.

I still feel disappointment that your situation has progressed to the point where it is, I don't see how even a layman can't see that the installation is dangerous. I think there's also some onus on the supply authority to disconnect the supply to premises such as this one if the installation is condemned by a licensed electrician and there is no action to remedy the faults from their side.

I empathize with your position, you need to work to pay your bills etc but there's also a moral obligation to the job you do.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I think there's also some onus on the supply authority to disconnect the supply to premises such as this one if the installation is condemned by a licensed electrician and there is no action to remedy the faults from their side.
    Well, maybe that idea should be encouraged. How about a system whereby an electrician can report a seriously unsafe situation, and it gets examined by the local authority within, say, 48 hours. If in the opinion of the inspector, it's deemed dangerous, the mains supply gets cut - immediately - until a valid and complete coc is received and re-inspection by the local authority.

I think that a business faced with a total shutdown would seriously look into getting their stuff back up to spec before it happened.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast