Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White males still dominate top positions in SA

Thanks

White males still dominate top positions in SA

White males continue to dominate positions in senior and top management. This is 10 years after the Commission for Employment Equity (CEE) was set up to look into transformation trends in the workplace.

White people account for 62.3% of senior and top management, while blacks account for only 20%. The CEE says there is a need for better representation of the country's demographics in the workplace. Government says the time for begging companies to come to the party is over. It is now pushing for an amended Employment Equity Act that will have bite as the current legislation does not.

Labour Minister Membathisi Mdladlana says some firms do not take transformation in the workplace seriously. Cabinet is now pondering over the amendments and the minister says it is now time to go for the jugular. Significant percentage fines on company turnover for non-compliance are on the cards.

"We want to shorten the process around fining people who do not comply with the law. We are sick and tired with the way people delay complying with Employment Equity, giving them 60 days and undertakings. We just want to fine people on the spot just like traffic officers do," says Mdladlana.

Recommended amendments

The CEE recommends that amendments that should be made to the Act includes improving monitoring, compliance and increase fines. It also suggests that firms should have Employment Equity Certificates when their Black Economic Empowerment scorecard is being considered by government in tender processes. It argues that the industry's claim that there is a lack of black skill is a fallacy.

Feedback from industry suggests that 60% of their professionally qualified staff are black, but that is not reflected in training and promotion levels. "We are very concerned that 10 years later or even 16 years after democracy we are still complaining about the lack of transformation in the work place. We are convinced that it is because of resistance as well as racist practices in the work place that make employment equity a difficult thing in the eyes of the employer," says acting CEE chairperson, Mpho Nkeli.

The CEE also found that wage disparities continued on the basis of race, with white people earning more than their black counterparts doing the same job.

www.sabcnews.com

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Yes I agree, women and blacks are incapable of working their way to the top, we must put them up there so that we all have somebody to laugh at.

Thanks
    with white people earning more than their black counterparts doing the same job.
    Politicians as usual speaking when they should keep there mouths shut as far as i am concerned. I'm sure we could name a few high earners that achieve absolutely NOTHING.

I know the past has had impact, it has created separation but i wish everyone would get off there high horse over this and just allow it to be the right person for the job. I reckon most people are over the black/white issues, what people really want is individuals that can do there jobs - simple. Really don't care black or white, just do the job properly. If the the job is done correctly, no one cares.

If a company is run successfully by a white guy - so what, why change a working formula, if he screws up, black or white, get rid of him.

This will probably get me slated severely but the the whole BEE issue has quite simply become reverse racism and worse still people actually get rewarded for doing a cuck job.

I have an immense amount of respect for any individual that can successfully run a company in black or white, very little for a person black or white that is just put there.

Significant percentage fines on company turnover for non-compliance are on the cards.
    Why mess with it if it's right! Maybe i'm just skipping the point...
    Last edited by garthu; 31-Jul-10 at 11:38 AM.
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

4. Thanks given for this post:

E-Deposit (01-Aug-10)

Suspended
    Thanks
    when is this country gona move forward?

there are 2 problem which require urgent attention

crime too much of it

skin colour...we need to move on and as i has said before...only when we are all classified as south africans will the race issue move forward and until such time the black people of this country will continue to discriminate against the white minority.

the other problem this country is experiencing...as the blacks are taking over municipalities so the state of the roads...electricity...water etc are begining to fall apart...becoming a third world country like the rest of africa...it is sad but it is a fact.

the other joke about the race issue...the youth of this country are the worse raciest...i find the older generation who actually suffered from the apartheid goverment are not the raciest...and people who actually suffered like nelson mandela you never hear a bad word...unless i am missing something this is how i see it.

another issue which i have mentioned...all the so called "rubbish" they were drumming into us during our national service...like they are going to rape your wife and daughter if you dont do your national service....etc etc...was it rubbish? i read about it everyday in the newspaper.

78 year old man beaten to death in his workshop...
    young girls gang raped by group while boyfriends are forced to watch...
    husband held at gun point while each gang member rapes his wife and young daughter repeatedly...as he listening to them crying for help...
    etc etc

hello maybe i am living in a different country to those who mention there is no crime in SA...maybe its time to move to one of these places in
    SA where there is not crime.

my sister told me there is no crime in PE?
    Last edited by murdock; 31-Jul-10 at 12:05 PM.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Tokio Sexwale & Maria Ramos sure as hell didn't need to be put into the positions that they attained. They got up there all by themselves.

What amazes me is that people have to be removed from existing positions to be replaced with BEE's rather than the BEE's creating new business for themselves.

If the tokens were so clever why don't they simply start their own businesses and show the rest of us how it should be done.

I do not believe that anybody in this country has a problem with working for, or with, women & blacks, we have a poblem with the forced placement of inexperienced people at the expense of existing experienced people.

Now here's a thought: The government believes that the BEE's will never attain positions of power based purely on merit and that it needs to hold their little hands while they scamper up the corporate ladder, only to teeter at the top before they fall off and land on their butts.

Thanks

Thumbs down Disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Yes I agree, women and blacks are incapable of working their way to the top, we must put them up there so that we all have somebody to laugh at.
    I totally disagree with your comment. I'm an independent woman who is determined to be successful!!! How can you look down on us women like that. Not Funny!

Thanks

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    when is this country gona move forward?

there are 2 problem which require urgent attention

crime too much of it

skin colour...we need to move on and as i has said before...only when we are all classified as south africans will the race issue move forward and until such time the black people of this country will continue to discriminate against the white minority.

the other problem this country is experiencing...as the blacks are taking over municipalities so the state of the roads...electricity...water etc are begining to fall apart...becoming a third world country like the rest of africa...it is sad but it is a fact.

the other joke about the race issue...the youth of this country are the worse raciest...i find the older generation who actually suffered from the apartheid goverment are not the raciest...and people who actually suffered like nelson mandela you never hear a bad word...unless i am missing something this is how i see it.

another issue which i have mentioned...all the so called "rubbish" they were drumming into us during our national service...like they are going to rape your wife and daughter if you dont do your national service....etc etc...was it rubbish? i read about it everyday in the newspaper.

78 year old man beaten to death in his workshop...
    young girls gang raped by group while boyfriends are forced to watch...
    husband held at gun point while each gang member rapes his wife and young daughter repeatedly...as he listening to them crying for help...
    etc etc

hello maybe i am living in a different country to those who mention there is no crime in SA...maybe its time to move to one of these places in
    SA where there is not crime.

my sister told me there is no crime in PE?
    True what you say. Crime is everywhere. People relocate from JHB to Jeffreys Bay to get away from the crime etc however when I stayed in Jeffreys Bay I got mugged/robbed.

People should stop running away from the problems in this country & stand up as a country & face the problem & do something about it!!! But we can only effectively do something about it if & when we all stand together & take action!

PS. Ations speak louder than words

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I totally disagree with your comment. I'm an independent woman who is determined to be successful!!! How can you look down on us women like that. Not Funny!

I will back you 100% in your quest to reach the top yourself, but if you are placed at the top because of BEE then you are on your own.

You look down on yourselves if you force companies to put you in token positions of power.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Joblife.co.za (01-Aug-10)

Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I totally disagree with that comment. I can't even believe you said it. I do hope you were only joking and even so it would have been a joke of bad taste.

Also adding to that I feel that it is bad practice to enforce something that allows people to be placed in high positions as figure heads. This does not benefit anyone and in fact makes matters even worse.
    Adrianh one thing I do agree with you on is "I will back you 100% in your quest to reach the top yourself, but if you are placed at the top because of BEE then you are on your own."

Diamond Member
    Thanks

I totally disagree with that comment. I can't even believe you said it. I do hope you were only joking and even so it would have been a joke of bad taste.

How can you disagree with that comment, if they were able to work their way to the top
    we wouldn't be having this conversation now would we.

Bad taste - come come, some like curry and some don't, doesn't mean that curry is "in bad taste" We all have the right to our views - you know "Freedom of speech" that teeny weeny little thing that everybody talks about when they say what they want but forgets about when they don't like what others have to say.

It's really fun to watch the BEE's manage companies into the ground. Its like watching a destruction derby, crash boom bam...Damn, it's like a Chuck Norris movie, you know he's gonna destroy everything in the end but you watch with morbid facination anyway. At least my little company doesn't suffer from BEE as I only employ foreigners. My German and Zimbabwean employees work 10x as hard as the lazy locals. They earn fat performance based salaries. I could of course get my BEE status right up there if I made the gardener an equal partner, but he is South Afican so he'll just be a "Sleeping" partner anyway...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast