G'day everyone

I read in this thread:
http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...53&postcount=1
that the average weekly pocket money in the UK for 7-13 year olds is GBP 6.00, which for simplicity's sake we can convert to R60.

My own kids are 6 and 8 years old, and they get R40.00 per week each. How much pocket money do you give your children (if they're under 12 years old)?

My children can supplement their pocket money with chores (doing the dishes earns them R2, doing dishes and packing away earns R5, watering the plants earns R2, etc).

It took my kids a while to figure out that one can save up one's pocket money to buy something big later. This past year we said that if they save up R600 each, we'll chip in with the other R600 so that they can buy themselves gaming consoles, so they've been saving an average of R20 per week for the past few months. We don't buy our children any snacks (except for some weekend food that the whole family eats), so if they want some, they have to use their pocket money for it. The same goes for buying toys -- they have to pay for it themselves -- we never buy toys, although relatives sometimes give toys as gifts. It does mean that my kids are slightly behind their friends when it comes to the latest crazes. Their friends' parents buy these new toys for them, but our children have to save up and make careful choices about what to buy, because there's only so much money.

I suspect I would have given my children more pocket money if we had lived in a more dangerous town or city where one can't safely let one's children play outside with the neighbourhood's friends, and where safe entertainment necessarily means going to the mall.

What do you think?