Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unregistered Electrical Con-tractors

Email problem Master Electrician's Avatar
    Thanks

Unregistered Electrical Con-tractors

There are a number of electrical "con"-tractors out there, who are not registered with DoL, via the the ECB, and do not have registered electricians exercising general control, as required by the new (and old) Electrical Installation Regulations. Does anyone have the names and contact details of DoL inspectors that this can be reported to?
    ME

2. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (17-Jul-10)

Suspended
    Thanks
    you are wasting your time....i have been an unregistered contractor for years...the DOL couldnt organise a screw in a whore house.

unless someone dies on site you wont get the dol to even reply to your report...it is very sad.

if you really want to waste your time....try your local ECA they will give you the number or try the AIA i hear they are just as corrupt as some officials

Email problem Master Electrician's Avatar
    Thanks
    I thought that would be the case. If they can be bribed to do a cover-up, perhaps they can also be bribed to do an expose'? lol

Suspended
    Thanks
    anything is possible in this country...especially with a little extra funding

Thanks
    I am sure the DA would gladly shake up the DOL if you approached them. Here in PE they are actually the opposite. I am not registered with DOL because I do not need to. I am too full of crap to let someone unqualified work with electricity so I work alone. As such I do not have employees so I have nothing to do with DOL. They however saw fit to make a case against me because I am on the list they received from the ECB of registered contractors. Needless to say I had to submit an affidavit to the effect of not having any employees and thus not required to register with them. Telephonically though they did still try convince me that I would need a mediator should I ever need to sue my own company. The new regulations are slowly getting out to the public and that will eventually bring the unqualified businesses to their knees.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    The new regulations are slowly getting out to the public and that will eventually bring the unqualified businesses to their knees.
    and i wait patiently for this day........................still waiting................

been i nthe industry for almost 30 years and 20 of those as a contractor....i have adopted the if you cant beat them join them attitude....not actually joining them but couldnt give a damn put my blinkers on and do the task alocated to me take my money walk away...i dont even bother with the reports or notes on my invoices about how bad the rest of the installation anymore...it wastes my time and my money...nobody will do anything anyway...i hear big mouths every now and again about orders issued but still waiting for anyone to actually be procecuted.

Thanks
    Hi All,

Some help and advice from the senior contractors!!!

I am a trade tested electrician who has served as an appe and been in the industry for more than five years .

I was retrenched a couple of months ago and have not been able to find employment with a company so i decided to start my own.

I would like to know what are the steps?

1.do i register with the ECA and how?what s the criteria.
    2.do i register with ecb.
    3.do i register with the cidb.
    4.I am currently registering a company,uif, workman's comp,vat.
    5.I will be writing for installation rules next year and have a n4.

I would also like to know what prices to charge for:
    1.call outs.
    2.fault finding/per hour rates.
    3.rewiring per point ( labour as well as materials)
    4.chasing,tubing and wiring of new installations.
    5.adding on of power points to an existing installation,surface no chasing required.
    6.installing lights,fans.
    7.stove connections.
    8.trenching per meter.

I know i am bombarding all of you withthese questions but i would like to charge customers a reasonable rate ,offer excellent workmanship and reliability.do it right the first time!!!

regards

Tron 1

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I am not registered with DOL because I do not need to. I am too full of crap to let someone unqualified work with electricity so I work alone. As such I do not have employees so I have nothing to do with DOL. They however saw fit to make a case against me because I am on the list they received from the ECB of registered contractors. Needless to say I had to submit an affidavit to the effect of not having any employees and thus not required to register with them.
    I assume you meant you don't have to be registered with the bargaining council.

Obviously you are registered with the DoL as an accredited installation electrician (being registered with the ECB and all that).

Quote Originally Posted by tron1 View Post
    I would like to know what are the steps?
    The first step would be to pass the installation rules exam and become an accredited installation electrician, I'd think. Up until then, if you aren't working under the general supervision of an accredited installation electrician, about all you can do is repair and replace components of an existing electrical installation. Adding components or installing a new installation is technically verbodend. (although in saying that, Murdock is rather painfully right about what is really happening out there).

Thanks
    anyone answering trons questions regarding how much to charge?

id also like to know

im sure u guys remember the story of my friend who was injured while working for one of those electrical con-tractors
    hes back at work-although hes not yet fully recovered

and hes doing whatever jobs he can get privately
    A “conspiracy theory” no longer means an event explained by a conspiracy. Instead, it now means any explanation, or even a fact, that is out of step with the government’s explanation and that of its media pimps.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hard to discuss "recommended prices" - the Competition Commission doesn't like it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast