Thread: Unregistered Electrical Con-tractors

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hello guys,

You may want to see this: *link to 404 page*

Regards

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have left out a front slash I think. (apology) I hope this link will work: http://coc.weciboo.com/

The way that I have learned to add the description of a large installation, make it almost impossible for corruption to prevail, unless I turn corrupt myself. I expect from the company to involve their own maintenance man, or -team, to do the corrective installation work, with me to oversee. So all I invoice for is for my fee as 'n would-be sole proprietor.

Regards

Thanks
    And where, pray tell, are you going to find "a registered person that undertook to remain available and contactable." who will ensure that all the criteria have actually been met before signing the "edited" DCOC?
    What would you expect him to charge for 24/7 standby.?
    Do you really expect him to be of sober mind every weekend?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Everyone,

Domestic Total Rewiring Installation:
    What proof of qualification can we ask for in order to be positive that we have someone qualified doing the installation.
    We have had electricians do small sections over the past years, but they said "don't worry about rewiring", now I wish we had, as I have no idea if they will indeed renew every area.
    Sadly I have no trust remaining!
    We have tenants in the house, and are not in the country so have no way to actually check ourselves.

Any advice?

Yvonne Symons

Thanks
    Hi Yvonne.

How's Houston this time of year? It brings back memories of some time ago when I lived in Austin which is one of my favourite cities.

I have a few questions if I may.

1. Where is the house, how big is it and how old is it?
    2. Is the house rented via an agent?
    3. Why have you had electricians in the house? Are you preparing to sell it?
    4. What reasons did they give you that a full rewire is required. Can you scan and attach their report for us to see?
    5. Do you not have family or close friends that could oversee contractors?

If you're in Houston then there's no way you can oversee this work so if you can't pay a local agent or persuade a family member to help you you're going to need to engage a third party professional to 'project manage' for you.

I'm also concerned about what has happened between your previous contractors saying a rewire is unnecessary and your present contractor saying it must be done. Unless the house is very old I don't see why a full rewire would be necessary.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvonne View Post
    What proof of qualification can we ask for in order to be positive that we have someone qualified doing the installation.
    You need to ask for proof of the registration as an electrical contractor. To give you an idea of what you're looking for, the top portion of our current certificate looks like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	elec-reg.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	2431

It used to be a card - opened up it was about A5 in size - but I don't have a sample in electronic format to give you an idea of what to look for right now. I'm not sure if all those card type registrations have expired yet.

This doesn't mean you'll definitely end up with suitably competent people working on the site, but it certainly does mean you have the identity of the responsible person(s).

Suspended
    Thanks
    There are proper registered "electricians" out there who do a far worse job than some non registered or unqualified electricians !! I have seen some db boards that look like a bad birds nest. To me it should be neat and tidy, all wires bent and folded squarely making it easier to work on.

Thanks
    I would go the registered electrical contractor as Dave suggests, he's going to have to be registered in order to sign off the work and issue certificates. Kevin does have a point though, being registered is far from a guarantee of the standard of work he will do. You need to find a contractor through word of mouth recommendation.

Thanks
    Ask the reason a rewire is necessary. Age is not good enough. If the insulation readings are still acceptable a rewire is not required. If the insulation readings are given as the reason, ask what the reading is. Get someone else to do the test as well. I have in many cases advised people that a rewire was uncalled for when asked to do so based purely on age. The standards of the cables were much higher then than now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123