Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unregistered Electrical Con-tractors

Suspended
    Thanks
    this is like asking how long is a piece of string.

if you are a fully complient electrical company...you shouldnt be charging less than R400 per hour...however the electrical industry is like the worse trade to be in...the lowest paid...with every man...his uncle and dog doing electrical work....why because there is no regulation...no policing...you cannot be charged for anything you do wrong or should i rephrase that...you can literally get away with murder...because the people who are suppose to regulate and police the industry still havent figued out how to do it yet...chances are they retrenched all the skilled people or offered packages..to get rid of them...then took over and years later are still try trying to figue out what they are suppose to be doing...and no...i cant see it improving anytime soon...or they are too busy eating the cream while it is still available...i also get the feeling that the cream is coming to an end and now they are trying everything to scratch for every last penny from every nook mand cranny...hence the fica and other documentation we have to fill out down to your employees and their bank accounts...just a pity the rest of the all the departments werent as efficient as sars...just my opinin...i could be way wrong...from wher ei sit...thats what it looks like.

there are also to many people trying to be the big chief but no actually knows their arse from their elbow...you have the likes of the AIA who are trying to take control...but i dont know where that will end up...i just wonder how much money is being shuffled around to keep everyone happy.

an example a tool maker...cnc operator/programer earns around R40 k per month a highly skilled electrician earns around R20 k if he has agood job...in fact i know of some who earn as little as R15 k...but most companies dont employ electricians because you dont need to...you just ride the elconops for as long as you can....keep them down at elconop 1...drop them on site charge the customer electrician rates and exploit them until they report you to the council then loose their job or just keep quiet and who knows the wiser...i see it every day working on site...especially in the big companies which use contractors...it is an absolute joke and we all complain that the industry is falling apart...

so...if you want to know what to charge...the highest amount the customer is willing to pay...and now with the rest of africa moving inot SA we now have all the so called skilled workers from other parts of africa to compete against...for example the last factory move i was sheduled to move...the other fellas came in at R120 per hour for 5 "electricians" ...so gues who moved the factory...the fact that they blew the main db into smitthereens is not important nor the fact that the new factory location has an illegal COC signed over by a metro employee who was never involved in the moved but signs over COCs as a part time job on weekends when not working for the council...and the old factory premises was left in an unsafe conditions for the new owner who is still fighting to get the transfer done months later due non compliance of the old electrical installtion is also not important....

enough said...at least i have vented for today...not that it will ever improve the industry...but like my driving...do as the africans do ain africa...and you wont need to stress...some will say i am a pesimist but ask chris geager who spends his life trying to improve the industry where he is at present...worse off than he was 20 years ago...

by the way a tp for driving in peak traffic stick to the left hand lane as far as possible...even go into the emergency lane if the left lane is moving tooo slow... then push in at the front...it cuts back your travel time by at least 20 minutes...and someone will always give you a gap at the front

Thanks
    Thanks for the "tip" although I have noticed that the breakdown services here appear to have started a campaign to keep death off the roads. They now utilise the sidewalks in heavy traffic.

Suspended
    Thanks
    and in durban they have made a taxi...bus lane...for all the people who are above the law or who feel the lane is specifically designed for people who just dont give a crap anymore...

the person who designed this lane on the exit from durban...clearly didnt do any research...it seems he tried to copy a first world idea...the lane is on the wrong side of the road for starts...which causes more problem at the N3/N2 intersection...to a point that they now have a metro police car fining the taxi drivers who use the taxi lane...and cant get back into the left lane in time...or should i say try to push in at the last minute...to go north or south....he must be the same perosn who signed off the camera installation tender...which must have come out of the 28 billion rand budget...clearly there is just way to much money in the budget and they need to find something to do with it...other than looking after their own pockets...mates pockets and wasting on road name changes...expensive cars...homes and functions...i suppose if you drive a 2 million rand 4x4 with run flat tyres etc... you dont need to worry about remedial things like fixing the roads...sorting out the potholes...finding out where the poison going into shongweni dam thats killing all the fish is coming from...sorting out the poverty in the province...lets see how well the new kid on the block is going to handle the budget...letrs hope he doesnt have lots of favours to pay back for getting his position..

by the way still waiting 3 days for my water to be sorted out after reporting and getting a reference number...it is time to make a permanent bypass...under the ground and the timing is right because they wont get suspicious because i have free water with a restricitor on already gona look for a water leak so i need to do some trenching

4. Thanks given for this post:

msmoorad (16-Dec-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    and in durban they have made a taxi...bus lane...for all the people who are above the law or who feel the lane is specifically designed for people who just dont give a crap anymore...

the person who designed this lane on the exit from durban...clearly didnt do any research...it seems he tried to copy a first world idea...the lane is on the wrong side of the road for starts...which causes more problem at the N3/N2 intersection...to a point that they now have a metro police car fining the taxi drivers who use the taxi lane...and cant get back into the left lane in time...or should i say try to push in at the last minute...to go north or south....he must be the same perosn who signed off the camera installation tender...which must have come out of the 28 billion rand budget...clearly there is just way to much money in the budget and they need to find something to do with it...other than looking after their own pockets...mates pockets and wasting on road name changes...expensive cars...homes and functions...i suppose if you drive a 2 million rand 4x4 with run flat tyres etc... you dont need to worry about remedial things like fixing the roads...sorting out the potholes...finding out where the poison going into shongweni dam thats killing all the fish is coming from...sorting out the poverty in the province...lets see how well the new kid on the block is going to handle the budget...letrs hope he doesnt have lots of favours to pay back for getting his position..

by the way still waiting 3 days for my water to be sorted out after reporting and getting a reference number...it is time to make a permanent bypass...under the ground and the timing is right because they wont get suspicious because i have free water with a restricitor on already gona look for a water leak so i need to do some trenching
    thanks for the replies

plenty of those permanent bypasses existing all over Durban & its not just in the townships
    quite a few are in the affluent/high income residential areas.

ive worked with a friend who is a Metro plumbing contractor
    so ive gotten to see first hand this sort of stuff.
    A “conspiracy theory” no longer means an event explained by a conspiracy. Instead, it now means any explanation, or even a fact, that is out of step with the government’s explanation and that of its media pimps.

Thanks
    Who should an electrician be registered with in order to be an accredited installer? The one I just had says he is registered with MERSETA - but are they not just a training organization?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    this is like asking how long is a piece of string.

if you are a fully complient electrical company...you shouldnt be charging less than R400 per hour...however the electrical industry is like the worse trade to be in...the lowest paid...with every man...his uncle and dog doing electrical work.
    sounds like the IT industry ...
    █► AllWorldIT ~ www.allworldit.com ~ International IT Solutions
    █► Wholesale ADSL & Hosting, VPNs, Firewalls, Online Backups

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillH View Post
    Who should an electrician be registered with in order to be an accredited installer? The one I just had says he is registered with MERSETA - but are they not just a training organization?
    ecb electrical contracting board

Suspended
    Thanks
    dont worry you not the only one...ecb...eca...aia...seta...dol......bargaining council(new laws i hear...no more controll over wages)...i dont think any of them know their ass from their elbows...

there is a positive side to all this...us as electrical contractors can screw our staff and our customers...without any peanlities...make a killing out of the public...because if people like myself who have been in the industry for 30 years doesnt know what is going on...how the poor customers gona know.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    bargaining council(new laws i hear...no more controll over wages)
    Pray do tell more

Suspended
    Thanks
    dave ithink i read it in the sparks mag...something about unions and the bargaining council....will check when i have time....i am also interested ....

just received some snotty letters from absa bank...apparently they have taken over the pension fund now for the bargaining council because the last bunch robbed everyone of their pension money...or should i same... last i heard there was a court case

according to them i owe them a whole lot of money...back dated to when my company was "not trading "...so this could get interesting....when i contacted them...they appologised for sending the incorrect forms and said they were busy with my summons...man you got to love the effieciency of people oops...

question...can i get a pension fund for my staff from a private company or do i have to use the bargaining council pension fund...which which apparently has gone backrupt...the last i heard bernie carr was fighting tooth and nail...because he is due to go on pension soon and if he doesnt get it right will loose his pension and everyone else who has a pension fund with the bargaining council....this could be the reason they have moved to absa...and then you have to ask yourself how safe is absa?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast