Thread: What I've learned so far as a freelance .....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

What I've learned so far as a freelance .....

Dan Lockton has quite an interesting post on his blog titled "What I’ve learned so far as a freelance designer/engineer/maker".

Obviously for me this is particularly relevant so I find it quite interesting.

What it’s shown me is that a jack-of-all-trades is not necessarily master of none, but unlikely to be any more than master of some, few in fact. And the main reasons for that — so far as I can tell — are time and money.

An implication of all that is that to be competing on price alone can be a stressful game, especially when having to do so simply to get enough work means that you have a lot of learning to do for every project.
    I posted quite a long comment there, which kind just came blurting out. Most importantly it triggers this thing of, "What have I learned?"

If you are, or have been a freelance (anything), then what are the most important lessons that you have learned from that?

To sum up my most important lesson: The Network is your friend. You are connected (don't forget it).
    Last edited by duncan drennan; 02-Mar-07 at 12:09 PM.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog