Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: T-shirts. Logistics. HELP!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    Good luck with your venture. Nice idea and nice site. Think you should have looked at the retail side, but good luck all the same.
    Thanks

We may look to introduce it to the retail side at some point. For now, though, I think we'll run it at the lower price and see how that goes.

At some point we might increase the price a tad and then sell to retailers at "wholesale" prices. I'd just like to see how the online sales go first

The problem is it's kind of a specialty product, which can't just be sold anywhere. Like I couldn't just walk into Woolies or Edgars and say "would you like to buy my shirt?" :P What sort of store do you own?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Mark, just a question here as food for thought -

Is there a problem if someone buys your shirts at the "website" price and then retails them at a markup?

Sure, the retailer could squeal that you're not protecting them on price, but if they're going into that situation up front knowing there's a cheaper option on the web, where's the problem?

They understand (and are responsible for) their own business.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Mark, just a question here as food for thought -

Is there a problem if someone buys your shirts at the "website" price and then retails them at a markup?

Sure, the retailer could squeal that you're not protecting them on price, but if they're going into that situation knowingly up front, where's the problem?

Not everyone is on the web.
    I have absolutely no issue with that. We'll make money, the retailer will make money and the consumer will get the convenience factor should he wish to not buy it through the website. So everybody is happy.

Truth be told, the consumer won't come out with a shirt for less than R300 if you factor in the delivery cost as well. I'm pretty sure that people would pay a premium on the shirts at a retailer for the convenience as well.

So if retailers are willing to buy the shirts at that price and add their own mark-up, I'm happy with that. It will put us in a "wholesaler" position of sorts, similar to factory shops where the public can also buy the shirts at "wholesale" prices.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Thanks

We may look to introduce it to the retail side at some point. For now, though, I think we'll run it at the lower price and see how that goes.

At some point we might increase the price a tad and then sell to retailers at "wholesale" prices. I'd just like to see how the online sales go first

The problem is it's kind of a specialty product, which can't just be sold anywhere. Like I couldn't just walk into Woolies or Edgars and say "would you like to buy my shirt?" :P What sort of store do you own?
    I have two sports shops.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have two sports shops.
    Awesome! Well, unfortunately I can't really help you out with a "wholesale" price as such. If, however, you think Dave's idea has any merit then by all means, buy some. If you're in the Facebook group you get 10% discount on the pre-orders (or if you ask really nicely) but I'm sure I could keep the 10% in place for you after pre-orders should you be buying quantities on a regular basis

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Awesome! Well, unfortunately I can't really help you out with a "wholesale" price as such. If, however, you think Dave's idea has any merit then by all means, buy some. If you're in the Facebook group you get 10% discount on the pre-orders (or if you ask really nicely) but I'm sure I could keep the 10% in place for you after pre-orders should you be buying quantities on a regular basis
    Hey Mark,

Just a reality check for you...I do not need to ask you "nicely" to put your products in my shops. You should want to get your product in my shops, and other shops like mine, my shops already turn over a couple of mill a year dealing with brands like adidas, New Balance, PF-Flyers, Converse and many, many others. I have reps from big, big brands trying to get shop space and most do not succeed, purely because I do not think they will work for my market.

You have a good idea and a fair product (it could be tweaked IMO, the back looks a little "left" heavy), and you have balls, BUT, if you want to be a player and launch a brand, and not just be a one off, it'll take a bit more thought on branding, margins and distribution channels.

Just my opinion, and you might easily prove me wrong, and if you do Kudos to you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hey Mark,

Just a reality check for you...I do not need to ask you "nicely" to put your products in my shops. You should want to get your product in my shops, and other shops like mine, my shops already turn over a couple of mill a year dealing with brands like adidas, New Balance, PF-Flyers, Converse and many, many others. I have reps from big, big brands trying to get shop space and most do not succeed, purely because I do not think they will work for my market.

You have a good idea and a fair product (it could be tweaked IMO, the back looks a little "left" heavy), and you have balls, BUT, if you want to be a player and launch a brand, and not just be a one off, it'll take a bit more thought on branding, margins and distribution channels.

Just my opinion, and you might easily prove me wrong, and if you do Kudos to you.

First off, I think you caught the wrong end of the stick. I apologise if it came across like arrogance or complacency, it was not meant to sound like anything of the sort. I was merely referencing the fact that currently there is only discount available to Facebook members, but that I would happily give it to you should you view merit in the product and want them in your shops. Sorry for any misunderstanding there.

As far as thought goes, I'm not sure it's possible to give any more thought to the matter than already has been given. There is a huge number of variables to consider. There was the whole "to distribute through retailers or not to distribute through retailers" in this very thread. To be honest, I eventually came to the conclusion that the product would be too controversial for most retailers that deal in quality brands, such as yours.

That being said, even though we market the product solely online at present, I fully encourage retailers to look at selling the product in their shops, should they wish to do so. From the response so far, I'm pretty sure it will sell well. You said it yourself, the price is really good for a sublimation print shirt. A supplier could easily put his own markup on the shirts and still sell them with no issues. Many consumers don't want to purchase over the internet, or tend to buy on impulse when out shopping. It's there to be taken advantage of.

For many reasons, though, we don't see it as a viable option to attempt to market online at a higher price. At least until it is a known brand.

As far as the product itself is concerned, the design has been tweaked already based on the sample shirt. There are also many other things in the pipeline: Ladies fitted shirts, kiddies sizes, baseball caps, and more importantly, personalised shirts.

I know I have a lot to learn, I will always be the first to admit that; BUT I have asked for advice, listened to everybody's words of wisdom and considered every option. In the end, however, I need to trust my gut and follow the path that I've logically thought out and conceptualized. If i stuff it up, then so be it, but I need to try something before I can chuck it out as "wrong".

I do not set out to prove people wrong. Rather to exceed my own expectations. I have a pretty clear picture in my mind of where I'd like this all to go. If I can reach that, or better, exceed it, then I'll be happy.

Thanks for your input though. I really do take in any feedback that I get and I think long and hard about it all.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Mark, my number is 076 868 7730 or 022 482 4491, save it in the next 48hrs...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Done

Will give you a ring sometime today hopefully.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123