Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AV what are you using?

Thanks

AV what are you using?

I was using AVG, the free one on my laptop and the Enterprise version at the office. It was quite good for a few years, caught nearly everything and didn't bug me too much. However, since the end of last year it's been hogging the PC so much that I had to uninstall it from my laptop ... other programs simply couldn't get enough RAM. The laptop's rather old - has only 1GB RAM and XP32bit ... AVG was using between 100 & 300MB of that - not during a scan. And each time a program opened AVG was using 50% of the dual core, the program loading about 1% ... for several minutes. So I installed ClamWin, not sure how "good" it is ... but at least it doesn't hog the system so much.

Now the office is also starting to complain. Even with the much newer & "better" hardware & OS's we have there it kills performance drastically. We did a test, opening our major software (AutoCAD) took 6:32 with AVG running. With it uninstalled it took 0:23. All tested from a fresh cold-boot to ensure no DLL caching would muck up the times.

Anyhow, the final nail in the coffin was when AVG's renewal for the Enterprise license came up: R29,000 for the year on 60 PC's. Now we're dropping that particular viral program. Switching to ClamWin combined with M$ Security Essentials.

Anyone had experience about these, or know of something equal / better?
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Wow! Are you sure? Ok my desktop computer runs at 44% with all programs going that also include 3D modelling software. And AVG is eating almost nothing. Honestly I had a look and I don’t know if I am reading it wrong but no... AVG is not killing my computer and I am running Vista! “On my desktop computer”

Here is a tip, have a look at your available hard drive space. I know that a lot of small files can keep AVG very busy but my HDD is about 80% of its full capacity. My computer is NOT a top line computer and I have no trouble with AVG.

After you killed AVG and did a cold boot what was your over all CPU usage? I think you might have a worm.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Am using AVG Internet Security ( AV, F.Wall, etc ) and don't even notice it running. Using for about 6 years a not a single day's trouble. Was a breath of fresh air after using Nortons "hog it all".
    Watching the ships passing by.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, Norton basically killed your computer. Norton with Vista was like using a F1 car to tow a 2 ton caravan. 1 ton Norton and 1 ton Vista. AVG is a bloody good product and as long as it is a trouble free antivirus I will use it.

When I was able to buy AVG from Incredible connection I was the happiest nerd alive!
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I've tried AVG in the past and it seemed ok to me. Can't remember having any serious issues with it which couldn't be blamed on the old PC it was on.

For whatever reason (I've since forgotten) I chose Bitdefender and Nortons for a 6 computer network.

Bitdefender I found slowed things down and it made me reinstall the damn thing about 3 times over a period of about a year.

Despite being warned against it, I went for the Nortons option and have been quite happy with them for the last 2-3 years. I'm no techie, so found their interface easy to use. No noticable speed issues.

Only issue with them was their auto renewal feature using my credit card details to renew the product at the end of the year. They said I could turn it off, but I gave up trying to sort that out after 15min. I just use a card that will expire in the next year.

Used Norton 360 on a mixture of PC's with XP, Vista and 7.

Just my 2c worth

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Anyhow, the final nail in the coffin was when AVG's renewal for the Enterprise license came up: R29,000 for the year on 60 PC's.
    I've just renewed on three licences at an average of R207.00 each...

Thanks
    I started with AVG and then even bought a copy still slowed my PC to snail mail.
    Changed to AVAST free and am A for away
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Anti virus is something I'v never felt the need to pay for, there's so many free offerings around that use exactly the same signatures databases the paid versions. The only features you miss are scheduling etc and I wouldn't use this anyway.

If you really want to be bullet proof then use a behavioral based AV like threatfire, a signature based solution like AVG or Avira and a sandbox like Sandboxie for your mail and web browsing. Bob will be your uncle.

I go for a more minimalist approach, AVG and spybotsd which I only use for a manual scan once a month, no heueristic or background activity. Also a sandbox for browsing and mail as well as for executing any unknown files.

Thanks
    Also dumped our AVG and norton, both for performance. Using Avast and spybot SD and all good!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks

AV, Oh No!

AV's are typically only good for about a year or two.

The reason for this is a new AV is developed to cope with what is known at the time and what can be predicted, however, there seems to be some "Hackers" out there whose sole purpose in life is to ensure the unreliability of your computer and to see if they can get hold of your bank details, and some just want to be the guy that broke your AV.

These hackers never sleep and soon find ways to fool the AV programs and F-Walls. I have been through everything from Avast to X-raze and find that all of them eventually let a worm, trojan, spy, etc. get through the net, the result is I also use freeware versions of AV and I change regularly (every year) to something different. Invariebly, when I install a new one it finds something that shouldn't have been on my system. X-raze was one of the first generation that came out and is no longer available, but it now works on preventing some of the newer viruses (only runs on machines with Win 95, 98 and ME). What I'm saying is don't throw away your old AV's, sometimes they're still good.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.