Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AV what are you using?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    After you killed AVG and did a cold boot what was your over all CPU usage? I think you might have a worm.
    Just did the test again. Win XP SP3 32bit (we can't use Vista / Win7 cause it simply doesn't work with our large format Oce printer ), Intel Core(TM)2 6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2GB RAM, 150GB HDD (60GB free). ClamWin & M$ Essentials as AV.

Shut down, waited for about 1min and pressed the power button. After logging in allowed a further 1min for all the background stuff to load. Pressed Ctrl+Shift+Del & clicked the "Task Manager" button. Noted CPU hovered between 0% and 2% ... seems one of the the svchost processes are still doing "something". RAM usage is around 160MB.

Decided that should be fine. Double-clicked the AutoCAD icon from desktop & hit my watch's stopwatch button. The MsMpEng.exe process immediately started using the CPU - hovers around 3% to 15%. After about 3sec the acad.exe process appears in the Task manager and runs at 20% to 50%. When ACad's splash screen opens (about 10sec after double click) acad.exe is using about 40MB and overall CPU usage is still up-and-down from 20% to 60% - with acad using most, MsMpEng the rest (it seems - would be nice if there was a log).

ACad's window appears on around 20sec, but is still a white blank window up to 38sec. When it starts showing menus, toolbars, palettes. Finally available and responsive to input at 53sec. Not as good as it was without any AV, but a S#1T load better than with AVG Corporate.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    I started with AVG and then even bought a copy still slowed my PC to snail mail.
    Changed to AVAST free and am A for away
    I have been using AVAST HOME EDITION for years now. The virus database updates twice a day and the program updates every few weeks. Takes a few seconds only and catches a HUGE amount of alien stuff (Just check your log after a while) It's free, you just need to re-register annually and it does an excellent job.

Thanks
    What are your thoughts on NOD32 (Firewalled Edition), one of the newer AV's around?
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    What are your thoughts on NOD32 (Firewalled Edition), one of the newer AV's around?
    We use NOD 32 business edition took out a 2 year licence and find that microsoft security essentials picks up the viruses on the usb sticks much better. On the plus side never had a scare since using NOD
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave S (02-Jul-10)

Thanks
    An AV that I found to be rather impressive for me is Comodo Internet Security. Not only is it free, but its one of only a few AV that gives you an free Internet Security Anti Virus. Been using it for a while now and with me working with clients and virus invested Flash drives, I've never had a problem since installing it

Thanks
    I use avast's free home edition. No antivirus will catch everything 100%, but there are plenty that catch 99.9% of them. avast seems to be one of them. and being relatively unknown, they don't get as many targeted viruses. Norton was amazing with that -_-

Thanks
    NOD32, Commodo, Avast, AVG and even Norton are all solid antivirus solutions. There may be a variation in volatile memory footprint and one or the other may be marginally better for one specific type of user but none are bullet-proof and none are a substitute for common sense and good practices.

As for program load times such as ACAD, firstly you can add it to your list of trusted programs in you antivirus. This should stop your AV babysitting it on execution. Secondly if you're using a 'non-official' version of the program it often takes longer to load when run because a 'loader' is used to circumvent the licensing system. When a program loads inside a loader environment it takes longer.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ok call me stupid but why are you using your primary computer for e-mail and internet to start with? The truth is if your work load are critical, then keep your internet activities away from it. Now I am not saying that you must have two physical computers.

I started experimenting with virtual computer simulator software “freeware”, installed my old XP on it and upgraded my memory and CPU to cope with the extra processes. Then with a lot of difficulty I got my 3G to work on the VR computer along with an active AVG free antivirus. I set my mail and then backed up the virtual computer on a 16GB flash drive.

Now if I get a virus I simply delete the VR computer and reload the backup. There is no critical information other then my e-mail but again you can set up your e-mail to keep an online copy of every e-mail. This can also be done with Gmail. So my actual computer is completely protected. " almost "

Yes there is always the possibility of a virus but! I have ruled out a lot of problems by simply using VR computer software “freeware” Also if you have a active backup system then recovering you stuff “before the virus” is easy.

The point is all my internet activities are on the Virtual computer thus all the problems stay with the virtual computer. “Until I delete it and reload the backup” It’s not the perfect solution but it is a working solution. Also consider the downtime of having your critical systems connected to the net?

Now it is true that it is sometimes unavoidable, but in the end it’s about downtime.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Im using NOD32 (ESET), there is a demo version on their site www.eset.com. Give it a try, I havent had any problems for the past 3 years. We use it and install it on our studio PC and clients PC cause it doesnt eat resources for lunch and it really works. Try and see

11. Thanks given for this post:

Dave S (05-Jul-10)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    NOD32, Commodo, Avast, AVG and even Norton are all solid antivirus solutions. There may be a variation in volatile memory footprint and one or the other may be marginally better for one specific type of user but none are bullet-proof and none are a substitute for common sense and good practices.
    Maybe I should've tried that ... unfortunately too late now.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    ... Secondly if you're using a 'non-official' version of the program it often takes longer to load when run because a 'loader' is used to circumvent the licensing system. When a program loads inside a loader environment it takes longer.
    Nope, don't have a cracked / trick-loaded version. We're on annual subscription to this particular monster.

Ok call me stupid but why are you using your primary computer for e-mail and internet to start with? The truth is if your work load are critical, then keep your internet activities away from it. ...
    Simple answer ... cost!
    Now I am not saying that you must have two physical computers.

I started experimenting with virtual computer simulator software “freeware”, installed my old XP on it and upgraded my memory and CPU to cope with the extra processes. ...
    Tried that myself. Unfortunately with the programs I'm using I'd need at least a 4GM machine (that would be ABSOLUTE minimum) with the host OS being 64bit ... not at present capable of buying such for the office. Only our presentation workstations are setup like this. As an example, AutoDesk (thew creators of AutoCAD) suggest turning off all visual enhancements in the OS (even those of XP) to "boost" performance and RAM usage. I'd have loved something in line with the Baby Cray, but I don't think the boss would be willing to dish out R310,000+

I have got Linux on a dual-boot on my laptop, from which I do my emails & browsing (preferably) ... not always though (it's a pain restarting every time you want to check something in an email). And running a VM on my laptop is even worse than AVG ... ... 1GB becomes around 600-700MB ... making ACad near useless.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.