Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advertising Litter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Angry Advertising Litter

I would like to raise a topic that I'm sure irritates the crumbs out of any business owner who pays real money to advertise legally.

What I'm talking about are the guys that stick stickers, posters and other dirty looking advertising all over our streets, lamposts, road signs and even sometimes residential walls.

As best I understand, it is not exactly legal to plop your advert on the roadside, even if its temporary (such as these trailer advertisers) - http://africa.bizcommunity.com/Artic.../70/40771.html

Apart from the physical danger that some of these signs cause (blocking view of traffic, stuck over road signs, etc), they are a terrible litter to our neighbourhoods and make them look dirty.

What irritates me most is that the majority of us are paying top dollar to advertise in the correct places, legally, whilst these advertisers are getting away with low cost, illegal advertising that ultimately litters our cities.

As I see it, the only reason this advertising would continue to exist is because it works. People are calling the numbers they see on these pieces of litter and supporting the litterers.

I would like to ask anyone who agrees with me on this topic to please pledge not to support these advertisers. Rather report the mess to 702's initiative (http://www.702.co.za/events/events/2...gflag/main.asp) or your local municipality. I'm not sure if civillians have the right to remove the signs as such...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by derekjay View Post
    As I see it, the only reason this advertising would continue to exist is because it works.
    Being dirt cheap certainly makes it easier to be cost effective

However, in Durban our eThekwini municipality is pretty good about getting this signage taken down and issuing hefty fines (I believe they pursue the issue quite aggressively) - and it does seem to help.

How goes it in other parts of the country?

Suspended
    Thanks
    the scary thing is the amount of people using these people because they are a lot cheaper than your normal bussiness because they dont pay tax...and arent registered...no uif...paye...etc etc...then when the customer want to sell their house long tears because the plans are not pasted...electrical work not up to standard etc etc.

i am considering putting ads similar to see what response i get...buy myself an old scrap bakkie to quote and make like i work for a company...but price the same...people will just think they are getting a good deal...just think no invoice no tax no registration fees...cheap cheap

just think no worries about come backs because if the work is not up to standard there is no invoice...plus and added bonus you can ask for your money up front because of the cheap price you are offering...and people feel sorry for you so they pay you...and believe me it works...my debts where a less when i operated like this many years ago...while trying to get my life back on track.

Thanks
    @ Dave - We suffer terribly up here in Johannesburg. Sandton is fairly well kept up, but most of the municipalities couldn't care less.

@Murdock - you're opening a whole other can of worms there

Suspended
    Thanks
    they are too busy washing signs to worry about clutter on the poles

the other problem is you sign only stays visible for a while then the grass grows over it...for a couple of months...or years

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Talking

Now here's a great idea - go around putting clever ads up on the poles on behalf of your opposition - I am sure that they would appreciate your endevours.

You could offer "Shocking electrical service" or "One free electrocution with every call out" or "Short circuiting your electrical problems" or "You'll blow a fuse when you see our bill" etc

Thanks
    A few years ago I had a sign impounded as it was on the pavement. They wanted R500 fine to get it back. I left it as it only cost R300 to replace.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Talking

I saw a mobile advertising trayler advertising "Mobile advertising" by saying "that it really really works". Now, if it "really really" worked, they wouldn't have to advertise that it "really really" works now would they...

A bit like the poor dude selling the really really good stock exchange software that will make you wealthy in no time...ok, so why are you still really really poor...

Thanks

Welcome to a clean version of Asia... LOL. Lovely to see freedom of expression.

I have no issue with this at all. More strength to them if it helps small business move along.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Email problem
    Thanks
    I am not a fan of the looks of these as they do make our city look dirty, although I have to add, a new small business has a very hard time to advertise properly considering the budget they are working on.
    We can discriminate, but think deeper about the situation they are in. Struggling to find a proper job and decides to start doing something on their own. With not even enough money to buy food, paying thousands for advertising is not an option. So where can they advertise to get enough publicity to at least have some money at the end of the month?
    We build long term businesses that takes time to start up, but they do not have the time and money to wait.
    Yes they do give services at much lower prices but not because they want to, rather for the reason that they do not have much of a choice as the service is most of the time not 100% up to standards...but hey a mans got to eat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast