Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advertising Litter

Thanks
    Thanks for your comments everyone - It's always great to gather the different perspectives.

While I agree that starting out is no easy feat, its difficult to draw the line as to whats right and wrong (as per usual). On the "pro's" side, you guys have raised some good points. On the "cons" side, the points that still linger in my mind are:

- These advertisers are generally not tax-payers, so they're not really contributing towards our economy
    - These advertisers, although starting out with good intention are being somewhat selfish in doing something that benefits one person (or business) at the cost of dirtying an entire neighbourhood
    - Bottom line, they're illegal. However small an offence it might be, starting a business out using illegal tactics is not sustainable and will leave the advertiser high and dry if control of illegal advertising is ever implemented.

This said, I thank everyone here for their constructive input and perspectives. Everyone has the right to argue for and against and I think this has been an interesting discussion Certainly one that's arguable either way...

Thanks
    @derekjay, not to make it sound like this isn't a real problem, but, you'll always get fraud in any industry. This is simply put just another form of fraud.

I know the municipality take these signs down in many suburbs in JHB, from time to time and they also issue fines (if / when they feel like it, I guess), so there are some people like you who also feel they should do their part.

I wonder if it would help it you put SARS onto them? Since they advertise, it's easy to get their number The illegal immigrants won't be stopped, but I'm sure a lot of small "legit" businesses could be brought to justice?
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    What i do know regards boards is that it is VERY difficult to enforce by police etc.

About 2 years ago i got a fine of R12 000, R1000 per board and 12 boards. The reality behind it was that the cop actually wanted a bribe. We "discussed" the consequences for about an hour with me telling him to give me the fine and him asking "what could we do about it".. but thats for another thread It was for show day boards by the way.

I took it to the prosecutor for leniency etc and it immediately got dropped, the whole lot! Turns out each board has to be on its own fine/ticket and secondly proving that it was actually me that put them up is a problem in court. Unless there is evidence i put them up, thats it! (barring honesty and at around R12K) even honest people think twice!!!!)

But basically it was dead in the water before off the ground.

We continued to use them. The law says we can use 2 boards - any less than 10, rather spend the day at home, it's not worth it. Also explain to the home seller as to why no one pitched - they dont want to hear its the law!
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12