Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For YouTube Users

Thanks
    Blog Entries

For YouTube Users

YouTube users may find this News Report Interesting.

Until I lost 900 videos, I never actually considered there was anything unsafe about trusting a company such as Google to protect my data. After all, who keeps photos in a shoebox anymore?"

Blogger Mark Kobayashi-Hillary has had his YouTube account removed after uploading a video from a gig by British comedian Jimmy Carr.

"As we all sat down I thought I'd capture the build up and rising expectations on my mobile phone video camera," he said.

"I posted the video [on YouTube] of the audience and told friends on my blog how funny it was."

Despite the comedian or his work being absent from the video, his management company decided to complain to YouTube's owners Google.
    Source What I find interesting is that more and more people are using social networking and those day to day experiences like a live show that you have attended is actually subject to copyright. I understand music videos and new songs with their copyrights but if you attended a live show than you where part of that experience now you cannot share your moments and that kind of suck...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    How To Make Sure Your Video Does Not Infringe Someone Else's Copyrights

The way to ensure that your video doesn't infringe someone else's copyright is to use your skills and imagination to create something completely original. It could be as simple as taping some of your friends fooling around or as complicated as filming your own short movie with a script, actors and the whole works. If it's all yours, you never have to worry about the copyright—you own it! Make sure to follow the other guidelines in the terms of use, too.

Be sure that all components of your video are your original creation—even the audio portion. For example, if you use an audio track of a sound recording owned by a record label without that record label's permission, your video may be infringing the copyrights of others and may be subject to removal.YouTube offers a library of authorised music to liven up your video. Try AudioSwap now!
    Source:

Right, how about all those anime or movie music videos that people use to make? I always enjoyed stuff like that but as usual everything enjoyable gets killed off because someone’s permission is needed or some musician is not making his billion this year.

For this reason I fear that YouTube is missing the point as do the editors creators and artists of the content in question. Some people enjoy creating a little 4 minute video clip with music of their choice. Its fun... but sadly the internet is the last free medium or “used to be”

Also with the UK system and our own registration systems will kill the internet soon. They will monitor uploads and downloads and do this stating that they are looking for criminals like deadly ten year old sharing an mp3. The really bad stuff will go unnoticed because people with power normally have the power and money to hide their doings.

I am not saying you don’t get bad people on the internet, but if you want to imprison every single person on the earth just because you have a copyright problem, then classical music is about to become extremely popular “until someone figures out a way to copyright that too”

In shot this was never about policing and finding bad people, it is about control.
    peace is a state of mind

Email problem
    Thanks
    Of course it's about control.
    if I create a piece of music and it get's used in a video that 1 million or more people see, I would want payment/credit for that. Why should my hard work and tool be used to get someone else publicity to millions of people for nothing?

You wouldn't put it on TV, so why put it on the net. It's in the same thing. Pay royalties for the music you use, or create it yourself.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The truth is soon it will become impossible to write a song because your sentence will resemble someone else’s words and he / she will sue you because of copyrights. The truth is there are only so many words that can only be used in so many ways and then it’s done. Poetry will die art will die...

In a way you also pointed to the second problem. Let us say yes a million people did saw the video and did listen to the song how much money was made and who is getting that money? The person that uploaded it is not getting the money the person that downloads it is not getting the money....
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Copyright & Piracy

Donovan, you must admit though that the music & film industry is changing very fast due to the internet. The reality is that I, and anybody else for that matter, can download any album, movie, tv series and software that is currently available. Movies become available on the net before they hit the big screen in South Africa. People buy harddrives with 2TB of movies & music for a bit more than the cost of the drive itself.

I think that the industries will adapt in some way or another. HDTV tries to do this by embedding Macrovision Encription directly into the TV - will it work, I doubt it (They tried it with video machines but the clever young men in ther dirty jeans quickly figured out how to deal with it, they tried it with CD & DVD but those same clever young people quickly wrote softawe like CloneCD)
    - there are simpy too many intelligent people out there who:
    1. like to beat the system and 2. Don't care much for the big companies who profit heavily from the technology.

The industries will have to find some way to make the total disregard of copyright work for them.

There is an upside to the internet and that is the a musician can go directly to the audience without having to go through the middlemen who take 95% of his profits. Another thing is that the musician does not have to become a teeny bopper pleaser to get his song played on the radio to get a bit of exposure.

The internet is here to stay and so is piracy. People will not politely stop pirating stuff simply because it infringes on copyright. People feel that they are exploited by companies i.e. Ster Kinekor who charge R 100 for a movie and their special brand of popcorn.

Is piracy right or is it wrong? - that's a debate for another day...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The truth is however that soon privacy will be a thing of the past. The point of mobile registration and ISP data monitoring is to allow for investigator to view content as the user access it. Then big companies will scream copyright and place pressure on the system to reveal all users that is abusing their copyright protected data such as movies, shows and music.

They will then crack down on these users and make examples of them. Examples such as a 12 year old girl that was arrested when downloading songs on a paid service a few years ago. This points to that these people will take action against anyone to make a statement.

Now once the registration system is emplace, you can be sure to see a lot of local arrests and charges against young people because that is the main target for these big companies. The big lawyers will step in and people will go to prison or face heavy fines.

I honestly don’t know how far these companies will go, time will only tell.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonovanBanks View Post
    Of course it's about control.
    if I create a piece of music and it get's used in a video that 1 million or more people see, I would want payment/credit for that. Why should my hard work and tool be used to get someone else publicity to millions of people for nothing?

You wouldn't put it on TV, so why put it on the net. It's in the same thing. Pay royalties for the music you use, or create it yourself.
    Many 'pirates' will pay for the music if it's reasonably priced and it's convenient. ITunes is one of the most successful businesses of the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Donovan, you must admit though that the music & film industry is changing very fast due to the internet.
    I disagree. The music industry is made up of many different sectors from the artists, recording studios, disk pressing and manufacturing, distribution and retail. The last three links in the chain are redundant and have been for the last decade. Unfortunately the last three links are the big money spinners as well and the music industry won't let go of them without a fight.
    The reality is that I, and anybody else for that matter, can download any album, movie, tv series and software that is currently available. Movies become available on the net before they hit the big screen in South Africa. People buy harddrives with 2TB of movies & music for a bit more than the cost of the drive itself.
    This is a reaction brought on by customers who know they're paying through the nose for an unnecessary service.
    I think that the industries will adapt in some way or another. HDTV tries to do this by embedding Macrovision Encription directly into the TV - will it work, I doubt it ......................
    What you're describing is a reaction, not the industries adapting. This is a few of the many methods they've adopted to force people to use the redundant distribution model.
    The industries will have to find some way to make the total disregard of copyright work for them.
    Not necessarily, there are some innovative business models that have made artists good money with voluntary pay systems.
    There is an upside to the internet and that is the a musician can go directly to the audience without having to go through the middlemen who take 95% of his profits. Another thing is that the musician does not have to become a teeny bopper pleaser to get his song played on the radio to get a bit of exposure.
    This is true as long as they're not trussed up like a Christmas turkey for the next ten years with a recording contract for a record label.
    The internet is here to stay and so is piracy. People will not politely stop pirating stuff simply because it infringes on copyright. People feel that they are exploited by companies i.e. Ster Kinekor who charge R 100 for a movie and their special brand of popcorn.
    A redesign of the distribution dinosaur would reduce the prices of everything dramatically (except the pop-corn maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    The truth is however that soon privacy will be a thing of the past. The point of mobile registration and ISP data monitoring is to allow for investigator to view content as the user access it. Then big companies will scream copyright and place pressure on the system to reveal all users that is abusing their copyright protected data such as movies, shows and music.
    The MAFFIAA et al have all but given up on prosecuting individual downloaders. It usually ended up looking like the big fish frying the small one and it's difficult to prosecute just on a harvested ipaddress.

They are concentrating their efforts on closing down FTP share sites using the Rapidshare model. They're also waging an ongoing war with P2P torrent indexing sites like Isohunt and Pirate Bay although these sites don't host anything illegal.

The latest trend is to try to make the ISP's responsible for the legal transgressions of their clientele. The aim is to be able to hold the ISP responsible for financial compensation and/or usage filtering on behalf of the copyright holders.

Now once the registration system is emplace, you can be sure to see a lot of local arrests and charges against young people because that is the main target for these big companies. The big lawyers will step in and people will go to prison or face heavy fines.
    I honestly don’t know how far these companies will go, time will only tell.
    I doubt you'll see a rash of individual prosecutions, the burden of proof is not easy to meet in these cases. They may go after the individuals who are making a living out of pirating but the rewards for netting these guys are few and prosecution is unlikely to be a deterrent to the syndicates who run illegal distribution networks. This country has different social priorities than Europe and the USA.

Time will tell :-)

Email problem
    Thanks
    YouTube users may find this News Report Interesting.

Source

What I find interesting is that more and more people are using social networking and those day to day experiences like a live show that you have attended is actually subject to copyright. I understand music videos and new songs with their copyrights but if you attended a live show than you where part of that experience now you cannot share your moments and that kind of suck...
    so what you are saying is that even a journalist has to have permission to print a pic he took of a celebrity ? mmm.....

on the other hand.....

are these people too stupid to cash in on fee publicity ? if a clip like that had to go viral, it would mean a lot MORE money in their pockets....

sigh....

i guess some people have not learnt about the value of "free" yet.

guess if you had to mention the word "squeeze page" to said the comedian's manager, he would think you are talking about something indecent...

like andy said....redundant business models....

and yes, it is about control.

just my cynical 0.02c...

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Princeton View Post
    so what you are saying is that even a
    are these people too stupid to cash in on fee publicity ? if a clip like that had to go viral, it would mean a lot MORE money in their pockets....
    Free publicity doesn't necessarily mean money in the pocket.

read this
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ard-out-in-the

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well if popular and public figures want to continue with this then I suggest that they print on the back of the ticked “to the event” that no Videos or photos are allowed to be taken. So now the person will know that he / she can no longer photograph or record the event. But for me that would just take the fun out of it....

So yes everybody can cash in and I for one would then demand to be paid every-time a speed camera takes my photo and security camera and if I am at a sport event and the camera operator spots me then I want to be paid!

Just think about it for a moment... life is about sharing your memories that is the point of social networking. This is just basically killing it...
    peace is a state of mind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast