Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New website

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    It seems Naaz isn't finding it too simple though. haha...
    Yep - but she's persistent!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Yep - but she's persistent!
    Persistence is all you really require.

Yes, Joomla comes with a bit of a learning curve, but if you take the time to understand it the possibilities really are endless.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Perhaps I still do not understand this whole internet / web design thing properly, but what is the idea behind having Joomla and also have e.g. cPanel? My impression is that I cannot see all the email addresses in Joomla while I can in cPanel or am I not looking in the right places. For the same website I see different aspects/things/detail in Joomla, cPanel and eStart.
    When running another business which requires attention there is not always time to get into everything behind the scene.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hi Faan,

Basically your Cpanel (or equivalent) manages all things to do with your hosting account and domain name(s). It is the place where you can find all files stored on your hosting account, create email accounts for your domain, as well as run scripts etc for your domain name.

Joomla is simply a system which manages your content. It is almost like an application which creates a website and all your content which makes it visible to people when they go to your website address. Joomla provides an interface for you to create a website without actually coding anything. Simply put, you could say that Joomla acts as the middle man between you and the Cpanel.

If a person was to create a website by writing all the code manually, he would upload that code through the Cpanel and edit all the files manually. Joomla creates and edits these files for you automatically when you create content in the back-end.

I think the way to look at it is that your Cpanel manages all things to do with your domain and hosting, while Joomla manages all things to do with the content and design of your website.

Hope that helps you a bit?

5. Thanks given for this post:

Faan (22-Jun-11)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark, I have a much better understanding now.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    Hi Faan,

Basically your Cpanel (or equivalent) manages all things to do with your hosting account and domain name(s). It is the place where you can find all files stored on your hosting account, create email accounts for your domain, as well as run scripts etc for your domain name.

Joomla is simply a system which manages your content. It is almost like an application which creates a website and all your content which makes it visible to people when they go to your website address. Joomla provides an interface for you to create a website without actually coding anything. Simply put, you could say that Joomla acts as the middle man between you and the Cpanel.

If a person was to create a website by writing all the code manually, he would upload that code through the Cpanel and edit all the files manually. Joomla creates and edits these files for you automatically when you create content in the back-end.

I think the way to look at it is that your Cpanel manages all things to do with your domain and hosting, while Joomla manages all things to do with the content and design of your website.

Hope that helps you a bit?

I just want to add something extra here:

A few years ago (about 8+) when clients needed email accounts setup, or databases created (to install Joomla or Wordpress, for example) the client had to phone / email us (hosting companies) and tell us what todo.

cPanel (and other control panels like Plesk, Webmin, Enkompass, DonNetPanel, HELM, etc) now allows the client todo this themselves. So it gets the same job done quicker and the client has more control over his hosting account.

in laymans terms, it help you to get back to running you business, instead of trying to manage the IT guys
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

8. Thanks given for this post:

Faan (23-Jun-11)

Thanks
    Hi

Try WordPress! It is great and so easy to use. You'll know your way around it in no time.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Chris, I installed WordPress to use as a blog, registered and received their email, but when I click on the link the browser opens up giving me an error message.
    I asked the guy who did my website about a year ago (who made provision for a blog page) how we should go about making the blog active and his reply was that we should first establish what traffic I get to my site and then we may install a link. This to me is a frustration as I do not always have the time to try and work out everything for myself. I just live with it then until I get a quick solution.
    For the same reason I am a bit reluctant to start using wordpress as I am concerned that it will take up too much of my time.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12