Thread: How to get ADSL up and running quickly.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

How to get ADSL up and running quickly.

My ADSL goes down at about 10.00 am yesterday. It happens (probably more often than it should), but after an hour it still hasn't recovered. So I report the problem to faults.

Of course, this is a bit of a process in itself, and I've learned a few tricks. I confess that I have Telkom as my ISP. Not because I'm a fan, but from time to time when Telkom ADSL blames my ISP for service issues, it does prove rather useful to point out that Telkom ISP is my service provider.

So first I call Telkom ISP who identify that it is not their side; it's definitely a Telkom ADSL issue. Next, I call Telkom ADSL, who test the line, identify that something is wrong and log a fault. So far so good.

Comes 4.00 pm still not sorted. Phone Telkom ADSL to follow up, and am told that the fault has still not been looked at by "Test". This seems to be a new step, presumably to make sure the operator who has already:
    • Tested the line,
    • Got me doing power downs, power ups and resets (which I had already done before I called),
    • Tinkered with whatever he has to tinker with while I wait patiently on the line,
    • Has declared that there is indeed a fault somewhere and it can't be fixed online,

is not, in fact, a moron.

So 5 hours later "Test" still hasn't managed to test the problem/operator, but I'm assured it is a 24 hour service and they should have got to it by the morning.

Well - You guessed it, "Test" must be very busy. Because the next morning, after working feverishly testing problems all night, "Test" still had not got to my fault. I know this because I called Telkom ADSL at 7.15 am this morning.

It was great! After navigating the directing system, the phone had hardly rung and it was answered! No 20 minutes of soothing background music whilst a voice gently advises "All our operators are currently busy. Please be patient. Your call will be answered."

The operator checked the status of my fault, and was very surprised that it was still with "Test".
    A note here: I did have to bite my tongue - the urge to say "Well I'm not in the least surprised and I don't even work for the company" nearly overwhelmed me.

The operator immediately called "Test" to inquire after the cause for the delay. Apparently "Test" still had a few other faults to test and then they would get right on it. Poor "Test".

About half an hour later "Test" called to confirm that my ADSL was not, indeed, working, and he would get a technician right on it. And voilÃÂ*! An hour later it's working perfectly! I have know idea what was wrong. But I can only assume it was a technician that fixed it. Unless the magical ADSL fairies, who admittedly had a 22 hour head start, had got to the problem first.

Probably a loose screw.

So how does one get prompt service from Telkom ADSL? Obviously the answer is to call early! Or am I missing something?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I can only assume it was a technician that fixed it. Unless the magical ADSL fairies, who admittedly had a 22 hour head start, had got to the problem first.
    It was the internet fairies. Unfortunately, their magic seems temporary

I've just phoned Telkom ADSL (because the problem has re-occured), only to be informed that a technician has not been assigned to the fault yet
    At 11.00 am today that will mean 6 days since the fault was reported.

Happily, Vodacom has just blown me away with service excellence, which means I've still got internet thanks to a healthy HSDPA

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Dave,

I recall a post on Hellkom about a business in Cape Town placing huge ads in the regional and national papers about Telkom and offering a reward for anyone who would pony up with direct phone numbers of the fairies who are at the lead of Telkom in order to get them to respond...

Apparently 6 trucks pulled up at their place of business the morning the papers were published before 8am in order to sort out their problem... Maybe give that a try?