Thread: Help Needed with Bulk EFT Payments

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Help Needed with Bulk EFT Payments

Hi everyone

As a developer of payroll software, it's important that my product enables my clients to do EFT payments in bulk when paying their employees. Currently, the software can export payment info to pre-defined, bank-specific export files, e.g. NetBank Business, FNB CAMS / PACS, Standard Bank CATS / EFTS etc. Basically the same as most other payroll or accounting systems.

The problem is that, as far I can see, some banks require their clients to have special software installed to use these files, rather than just allowing you to upload the file into your normal internet banking. That's why I need another option: I think it's called an EFT bureau. The way I imagine it working is that the client gives this EFT bureau authorisation to run debit orders on its account. Then the payroll system can generate a file according to the bureau's specifications. The client can then either manually hand this file over to the bureau or ask the payroll system to do it for them. The EFT bureau then does a single debit against the client's account and credits each individual employee.

I thought some survey-like questions would be enlightening to myself as well as the rest of the community when it comes to comparing different banks, so it would be great if a few people could answer these. Feel free to ignore the questions entirely if what you have to say doesn't fit the way I laid them out:

1. Which bank do you use? Also note type of account if you have that info available.
    2. Does your bank allow you to do bulk EFT payments (i.e. based on export files from your accounting / payroll package) through internet banking?
    3. Do you use special software from your bank to do these bulk EFT payments? Do they charge you extra for this / any other inconvenience?
    4. Do you have any experience with EFT bureaux as described above?

Thanks for any help, even if it's just a general pointer in the right direction.
    Last edited by Dave U; 08-May-10 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typing error