Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TopTV - DSTV alternative

Thanks

TopTV - DSTV alternative

There's a new TV broadcasting company, TopTV

Their prices are far more affordable than DSTV. Is anyone using them yet?
    Last edited by Dave A; 04-May-10 at 08:06 PM.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Why do we have DSTV? It not for the boring old movies and same shows everyday... No... Its for the sport. YES. Believe it or not but Supper-Sport is keeping DSTV going. Now if TOPtv can give us proper sport channels then DSTV will face heavy competition in the future.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the channels on offer, I have to admit I'm not tempted at the moment. Hopefully they've figured out a niche where they'll get quick market share, but it isn't immediately obvious.

I wish them good luck, though. Competition never hurts and DSTv has had it all their own way so far.

Thanks
    I wonder if TopTV could compete with DSTV in terms of service?

My mom used to with friends for a while and had XtraView, where she brought her own decoder and paid the R50/pm difference in to get the extra view capabilies on top of their package. Then she moved to her mom's place in August when my grandma broke her hip and my mom didn't need DSTV since my grandma already has. But now that my mom wants to move back to her own home she has to pay the full price for her own DSTV. No problem, I thought, just get a dish and get it connected. With XtraView, you need to connect both decoders to a dish with a dual LNB & 2x antenna cables, one into the 1st decoder & one into the 2nd decoder. So she brought her decoder over to our place, we hooked it up to the dish and I wanted to un-pair the 2 decoders, but it didn't work. So I phoned DSTV, who patently assisted me over the phone (probably for about an hour) at which point we decided that the 2nd decoder might be faulty. Basically, it could un-pair with the main decoder and work totally independant from the main one, but as soon as you power it off-and-back-on, it wanted to connect to the main decoder again. He said I should bring it in, to Randburg & my mom lives in Benoni. So we decided to get one of those R600 specials & Pick 'n Pay, where you get a new decoder, dish & free installation. Since she didn't have a dish yet, she would have paid that kind of money in anycase. I know I paid R350 to have our dish installed, and got quotes between R350 - R600 just for installation, with my own dish.

Anyhow, so we got the new decoder, I went to her place (about 19:00), phoned DSTV and they helped me over the phone to migrate her account to the new smart card, and it worked within minutes.

So, regardless of their high prices, they offer very good service and service sells in this country, not cheap price.

Bronze Member
    Thanks

Why Watch TV?

I have discovered that ignoring TV altogether works for me. With all the mindless drivel on TV...negative news, boring soaps and yes old movies.

But the Internet, is something else. I catch my latest daily headlines on one of the many local sites.Movies (pay per view) of your choice. News that uplifts the soul. Forums, You Tube, articles etc.

A good book, a walk in the park, a drive in the countryside, is considered over weekends, in stead of the TV.
    We sit and watch all these silly programmes and life passes us by.TV has deprived us from family dinners, conversation etc. No wonder, many families are broken..

I kept my TV set however, since I watch DVD's. A wide array of DVD's can be hired/purchased on and off line.
    Sean Goss We all are scared, but only few are brave.
    www.sgafc.co.za

Thanks
    Sean you do make a valid point on this one. The only reason I have DSTV is cause of the documentories on Animal Planet, Discovery World, National Geographic, etc. Oh, and I still enjoy the series channels as well, they tend to have new stuff from time to time.

Thanks
    I don't use DSTV or terrestrial TV systems. I use streaming TV over internet. You get to watch series and documentaries etc when they're new and the odd sports event I want to watch it's very rare I can't stream it live as long as I connect a half hour in advance. Instead of a decoder I have a media center PC connected to a TV. All my DVD's and music are on the pc and you can watch anywhere in the house across the LAN. All my viewing is free as such, it just costs internet bandwidth which works out less than a multi-choice package.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I don't use DSTV or terrestrial TV systems. I use streaming TV over internet. You get to watch series and documentaries etc when they're new and the odd sports event I want to watch it's very rare I can't stream it live as long as I connect a half hour in advance. Instead of a decoder I have a media center PC connected to a TV. All my DVD's and music are on the pc and you can watch anywhere in the house across the LAN. All my viewing is free as such, it just costs internet bandwidth which works out less than a multi-choice package.
    Hi AndyD

Would you care to elaborate as to where you get the streaming feed/s from ? Am very interested in this option.
    Watching the ships passing by.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I have looked at the top TV package, and it's not bad...besides sports. Unfortunately I love my rugby so it's going to be a hard move, but I will probably move anyway, at least for 6 months of the year. I hate the fact that you you have to pay R520 a month to watch a bit of rugby in this country...there is no other way. Hopefully, if lot's of other people vote with there feet (even for a couple of months a year), our monopolies will not feel so comfortable in their ivory towers.. So I am moving on principal.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daveob View Post
    Hi AndyD

Would you care to elaborate as to where you get the streaming feed/s from ? Am very interested in this option.
    There's hundreds (probably thousands) of streaming feeds for all different genre of TV like sport, series, history, documentaries and movies. Many of the US tv stations supply streaming content but they make it USA only. It's not difficult to get around these restrictions with the setting up of a US based proxy which is free. I'm not sure about legality but I haven't encountered any infringement notices in the last year that I've been using one.....touch wood.

You need a 4 meg ADSL connection or better that's unthrottled if you're allergic to buffering delays, I use about 5-6 gigs per month off peak so it costs 1/5th of the normal price for off-peak bandwidth and I record my programs of choice in avi format. 3/4 of the bandwidth I use is for the kids junk. I usually use the lower definition option for throwaway viewing and HD only if I want to hang on to it. You'll also need a decent media player like kmplayer which is streets ahead or VLC if old habits die hard.

It costs me around R150.00 in nighttime bandwidth and 12 Euros per month for a high speed VPN which is optional and I only use it occasionally and mostly for bittorrent protocol traffic, not streaming :-) The proxies are free and the programs are free.

Here's a quick tutorial on watching US streams.

Try ourwebtv for programs as well as TV Shack which is linked in this article. Sidereel is another option to get you started and MyP2P is good for some sport events.

All the sites I've listed claim to have content filtering systems to keep them free of copyright infringing material. I can't tell you for sure that they're completely legal but IMO if they're filtered you should be able to assume that the material is kosher. There are many more if you rummage around on Google and some are blatantly illegal so in the interests of not leading anyone astray I'm not listing them here.

Streaming TV has disadvantages, it's not suitable for internet illiterates and you need to plan ahead a little as well. On the other hand it's price competitive and the content is very up to date.
    Last edited by AndyD; 19-May-10 at 12:13 PM.

11. Thanks given for this post:

daveob (19-May-10)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast