Good morning all,

Can anyone shed some light on the proper procedure to deal with non-payment of salary by an employer? I have a situation whereby a client has not been paid for March 2010 (due end March of course, and including a couple of substantiated expense claims). Now, the April salary has also gone unpaid.

Needless to say the company has cited various reasons for this (the most obvious being a lack of cash at present) - it is also undergoing a shareholder buyout (minority shareholder purchasing the bulk and taking control; deal to be concluded - apparently - tomorrow, and money will change hands). The 'new' owners have been provided with a list of current creditors/liabilities, for which the two unpaid salaries/expense claims are included. A spurious "waiting for money/pay next week" is all that has been received to date by way of answer.

Any suggestions on how to pursue this? The CCMA have suggested going by way of the Dept. of Labour, as 'non-payment issues are not in our purview' - whether correct or not I cannot tell - I am not a labour expert.

Thanks and regards,

Adrian