Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The most unequal society in the world

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

The most unequal society in the world

For some time agitators of discontent have been saying South Africa is the most unequal society in the world. It's just slipped in there - for example:
    South Africa still has a lot to achieve before all South Africans are really free, the Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) said on Monday.

"We cannot ignore the 58% of South Africans who live in poverty, who cannot really benefit from political freedom as they face a daily struggle to survive," spokesperson Patrick Craven said in a statement.

He said massive inequality had made South Africa the most unequal society in the world.
    from story on M&G here
    Could someone please point me to the study that has come to this conclusion. I've had a relative come back from Malawi and her report of the situation there has led me to seriously question the validity of the statement (and the severity of our poverty problem too, come to think of it).
    Last edited by Dave A; 28-Apr-10 at 07:59 AM.

Thanks
    Oh my goodness, these people make such ignorant comments, don't they.

If they took one look at Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, China, Pakistan and so forth, they would realise just how good the citizens of SA have things.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well with all the corruption sucking our country dry it is hard to believe that anyone is benefiting. So let us point out that schooling programs are failing along with the prison systems and law systems. We have no foundation to build on really.

We need to look at:

A ..> Social development programs
    B ..> Welfare programs
    C ..> Schooling programs “for ALL races”
    D ..> Agricultural programs “for ALL races”
    E ..> LAW systems
    F ..> Municipality “and especially there services and budgeting”

It has been estimated that more than 25% of ALL fertile ground has been destroyed by mining groups. And to my knowledge there are NO plans to rehabilitate old “used up” mining grounds for agricultural use. So you do the math because the mining groups are buying up more farms than ever to continue to feed the high demand for coal. People forget so easily that food is more important than money...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

4. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (07-Dec-10)

Thanks
    Blame the government, Labour Unions and corrupt tenderpreneurs as well as the BEE elite, they are the ones who are being affirmed repeatedly at the expense of the poor and helpless, whilst the unions make it impossible for start up entrepreneurs to employ anybody.

When the masses wake up to the fact that it is not 'White Man's Money' that is being stolen, but their own.
    It is their own houses, services, schools, roads, clinics, hospitals, infrastructure etc. that is being plundered.

Government, Labour and ANC spokespeople trying to deflect the anger of the masses on to businesses and people who have made a success of their financial affairs will only postpone their inevitable fall from grace.

Only 'FOOLS' will continue to vote the same way and expect a different outcome.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps the deceiver of fools? Perhaps a poetic injustice or so the facts will say. However propaganda and misdirection are powerful tools and deception to perspective will lead to ignorance and confusion, thus allowing for the same mistake to repeat itself indefinitely.

Still fear anger and desperation are also very powerful emotions. It is known that hardship is always followed by revolution. And revolution brings forth change. Sadly sometimes change comes to late.
    peace is a state of mind

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by desA View Post
    Oh my goodness, these people make such ignorant comments, don't they.

If they took one look at Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Burma, China, Pakistan and so forth, they would realise just how good the citizens of SA have things.
    Would YOU like to live in a country where we measure ourselves against the worst in the world?

The better the lives of the rest of the people, the better all of our lives. When that is reached, we all do better in business as out customer base is larger.

8. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (07-Dec-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DonovanBanks View Post
    The better the lives of the rest of the people, the better all of our lives.
    I have to agree

What burns me is people trying to peddle the notion that we're some kind of special case - that the rest of the world doesn't have these problems.

Is our poverty problem the worst in the world? No.
    Are our services, amenities and education the worst in the world? No.
    Is our corruption the worst in the world? No.

And on the other end of the scale -
    Are the lifestyles of our elite the most extravagant in the world? Well, the lifestyle of bra Julius might give reason to wonder - but ultimately... No.

Poverty, inadequate services, poor education, corruption, flagrant abuse of position are all unacceptable and need to be fought tooth and nail wherever it exists. Fair enough.

But the most unequal society in the world? I've got a sneaking suspicion that we might well be pretty average by global standards.

10. Thank given for this post:

desA (29-Apr-10), duncan drennan (09-May-10)

Thanks
    Methinks people doth protest too much.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well yes there is that side of the coin. But just ask yourself “Everything Considered” are we moving forwards or backwards?
    peace is a state of mind

13. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (07-Dec-10)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Well yes there is that side of the coin. But just ask yourself “Everything Considered” are we moving forwards or backwards?
    For some, yes. Obviously not for others.
    It's in my plans to do what I can to help others where the govt are failing. I know it's not my job, or my problem but can anyone honestly sit idly by while our fellow citizens are living in squalor?

15. Thanks given for this post:

ChrisNG53 (07-Dec-10)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast