Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Tip for Trevor

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've been struggling in Durban with traffic lights and the load shedding. Too many folks round here don't understand the concept of four way stops. Every intersection you cross with the lights out is risky business.

Thanks
    I heard over the news during the week that the pilot project on the solar powered traffic lights in Grassy Park, Cape Town was such a success that they intend rolling it out to otehr parts of South Africa very much sooner than they have anticipated. Great Cape Townians!

Thanks
    What I found fascinating was the cost! R150k for a set of 4 solar powered traffic lights (expected to come down to R110k), and R80k for a normal set of traffic lights. That probably includes all the labour, installation, etc. but R80k for 4 traffic lights is pretty pricey. Gives me a different perspective when I see one that has been knocked over....
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Taking this back to tax, I find this programme in Berkley, California really fascinating. Essentially you take out a loan with the local municipality to install solar equipment on your property. You then repay this as part of your municipal rates. It is also tax deductible on your income tax return.

The great thing here is that you can invest in solar technology without the large upfront cost, and the "loan" passes to the new owner when you choose to sell. Your home gains value, but the loan is passed on.

A property owner would choose a solar installer from a city-approved list. It appears to be a win-win situation solution to the high cost of going solar. The homeowner immediately begins saving money on electricity bills without incurring the $15,000 to $30,000 upfront cost of installing a solar system. They also usually get a boost in their property value from the solar array and the property tax that pays for the system is deductible on their federal income tax return. When the house is sold the solar array and the tax assessment remain with the property, passing to the new owner and thus further diluting the cost of the system.

Read the full article here

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Those links aren't working for me Not my night for technology.

But that is quite a price tag! Is that for a system that would deal with hot water and electricity?

Thanks
    I'm not exactly sure what those particular systems entail. I think they are large photovoltaic systems to generate electricity (which can also be sold back to the grid). Some are also solar water heaters.

The thing that is interesting to me though is the model, rather than the specifics of their installations. It lowers the barrier to entry to some of these products.

For example, to get a decent solar water heating system in SA costs around R20k, which is a fair chunk of upfront investment that takes quite a while to pay for itself. If you frame that in the context of our energy crisis, it may be a valid way of making these sort of systems accessible on a larger scale.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Got the links to work now. I loved this little bit.
    “This is going to create green collar jobs,” said Bates.
    Really appeals to my sense of humour.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time is running out for anyone wanting to send a tip to Trevor this time round - Budget speech day is 20th February.
    "Since the 2007 Budget Speech the Ministry has received over 600 tips covering tax, macro-economics, social, and light hearted issues."
    Good on you, Duncan
    Last edited by Dave A; 18-Jan-08 at 09:09 AM. Reason: fixed typo

Thanks
    What do you think about introducing a tax incentive for purchasing an energy efficient home? This is how it could work...

A registered evaluator (possibly the people who issue your COC?) could use some sort of standard for evaluating the energy efficiency of a home (e.g. solar geyser, insulation, window insulation) - this could possibly even include water usage (e.g. toilet cistern size, composting toilets, low-flow shower heads).

Based on this evaluation, a tax rebate could be given on transfer fees. This would motivate people to improve the energy efficiency of their homes, even if it is only just before the sale, as it effectively makes it cheaper for the buyer.

Further, there could be tax incentives for developers to build using energy efficient methods (choice of material, lighting, plumbing) which would result in better homes being built.

Gold Member
    Thanks
    I think your idea rocks! The fact is that many developers are simply placing the cheapest short term solution in the budget without looking at the long term implications, obviously because of the bottom line. Make it worth their while to do things differently!
    Regards

Debbie
    debbie@stafftraining.co.za

From reception to management training, assertiveness, accountability or interviewing skills, we have a wide range of training workshops available for you!
    www.stafftraining.co.za

Find us on
    Facebook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast