Thread: Bursary Problems

Email problem
    Thanks

Bursary Problems

Hi all!
    I am new to the forum and was hoping that someone here might know how to help me. I had a bursary from an external company for my honours year in 2009. Unfortunately this company only paid half my fees. I am trying to find out what I can do to get them to pay the remainder of my fees. Or who I could contact that could help me. Is there a governing body that controls this kind of thing?
    I would appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I assume you have asked the company concerned - have they provided any explanation?

Email problem
    Thanks
    I have been asking them for payment since June 2009. They claim that they can only pay if my account shows an amount due. (I have a credit that my dad paid for the year 2008.) However they paid the first half of my fees with no problem even thought the credit was already there. The University will not allow me to take any money out of the account until my fees are paid so I cannot do much about this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like you're dealing with some uncaring paper pusher - or the company has cash flow problems and is using bureaucracy to stall. Either way, pretty frustrating.

A thought occurs - there's a critical difference between bursaries and scholarships. Normally with bursaries there is an expectation that you have to work for the company once qualified to "reduce the debt." You might want to read the fine print. It's been ages since I read a bursary contract, but if it's anything like it used to be there could be an advantage in giving them notice that they're in breach of contract.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I think it may be a combination of the two.

The company decided at the end of last year that none of the bursary students need to work after completion of the year. I have been trying to get hold of their CEO but he does not respond so will try contact someone else in the company to notify them of breach of contract. How do I proceed from there?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    That might just blow the leverage option.

Normally if you don't do the time, you have to pay back the bursary as a loan. I had hoped the threat of losing the option of recovering funds advanced would be an incentive for the company to honour the contract. But after your last post, perhaps not.

Probably a pretty good time to read the fine print of your bursary contract to see where you stand legally right now. Maybe find a bright law student at the varsity to check it over? It's going to come down to contract law, which is primarily about interpretation.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Unfortunately I will have no leverage and it will end up a legal matter. Thanks for the suggestion of finding a law student to take a look.

Luckily the contract states that if there is no work available, the bursary does not have to be paid back. Only if I break the contract in some way will I have to pay it back.

It is very frustrating as I even have emails from the company stating that they will pay the amount.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There are always bumps in the road of life. I see people with big plans stopped by pebbles all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by xatha View Post
    Luckily the contract states that if there is no work available, the bursary does not have to be paid back.
    May I quietly suggest that if you don't look for silver linings, life will drive you mad with frustration.

At least you are free to pursue your future without that debt on your back.

9. Thanks given for this post:

xatha (04-May-10)

Email problem
    Thanks
    I suppose that is true. Luckily I can continue and I finished my honours. There is no debt on my back but my dad has to carry it. He cannot get his money back which is a shame.

Thank you for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm not suggesting you (or your father) don't try to recover what you can. What I want to emphasize is don't let it stop you from getting on with your life.

And be cautious about throwing good money after bad, flogging a dead horse, burning bridges... that sort of stuff.

We all lose a few battles along the way. But the goal is a successful life

Make your father's investment in you worth it. Good luck and best wishes for your future.