Thread: time of use electricity tarrif for domestic consumers

Suspended
    Thanks

time of use electricity tarrif for domestic consumers

geyser timers a money saving tip???...maybe for the consumers...but think what it does to the power monitor dial...red lines it!!!

now if eskom was smart they would offer a time of use tarrif...in other words if you set the timers for your swimming pool...A/C unit...geyser...jacuzzi etc etc to run during off peak times...they charge you a cheaper rate then during peak times charge you the normal rate...this would reduce the power useage during peak periods a win win situation for both consumer and supplier...cheaper rate for consumer and less power usage from supplier...we are being told every day there is not enough electricity...why not spread the load during the day and night.

so what you do is set the timer for your geyser to heat it up at 1500...fit a geyser blanket to retain the heat until you get home and get charged a cheaper rate for doing this...everyone is looking for ways to save electricity...at the moment everyone i knows has their geyser set from 1600 - 2000 and 4 am till 8 am....peak period so what does that do to to the power monitor...what is one of the highest power consumers...a geyser.

the way i see it a win win for everyone...so long as eskom doesnt rip a hole in the idea and charge penalities for peak periods rather cheaper rates for off peak periods.

Thanks
    I'm not sure if the pre-paid energy dispensers are capable of split tariff monitoring. If they're not then new ED's would be required.

They still haven't started the forced roll-out of ripple relays even though they have forced every domestic installation to be equipped to accommodate them with the 4 x 4 box and geyser supply wiring going through it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    so long as eskom doesnt rip a hole in the idea and charge penalities for peak periods rather cheaper rates for off peak periods.
    Would it be worth doing any other way?

Suspended
    Thanks
    the way i see it like everyone else in this country let me see how much i can benefit...who cares if you loose money so long as i can make the money out of the installation and maintenance of the new meters

Thanks
    Surely a peak demand type meter with preset peaks for maximum usage periods and a system of switching off geysers and freezers etc during these periods would be a good answer?
    If you intend to use the stove or aircon during peak demand periods it will just cut off untill your demand settles within the acceptable range for that period?
    So you would be forced to switch off whatever appliances you are not using at that time? or be forced to prioritise which appliances you are using, lights and certain appliances notwithstanding.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Suspended
    Thanks
    there are such tarriffs already in place for domestic uses who use more than 1000 kwh but as i thought peak rate 94 c per kw as opossed to 64 c we pay at present...off peak is less.