Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Locating heat-pump distributors, importers, sales in SA

Thanks

Locating heat-pump distributors, importers, sales in SA

I'm trying to develop a network of distributors, importers & sales outlets for heat-pumps in South Africa.

Are there perhaps useful internet-based business directories that can perform directed searches & cut down the laborious efforts required on Google, Ask & so forth?

I'd welcome advice & links in this regard.

Thank you so much for your kind assistance.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Excuse my ignorance, but are we talking about air-conditions that can be used as a heat-pump, or heat-pumps on there own? Or have I totally missed the boat...wouldn't be the first time.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I suspect you'll be looking for plumbing wholesalers in the main. Maybe electrical wholesalers too?

Maybe do a search for plumbing supplies or plumbing suppliers on google.co.za and then check out the directory type listings that come up. If you're having problems staying on the South African Google search centre, use the custom Google search funtion on this site - it should be SA biased regardless of where your IP indicates you're searching from.

4. Thanks given for this post:

desA (22-Apr-10)

Thanks
    Thanks so much Dave. This is very helpful.

You are correct in that Google loses focus after the first page, or so, based on my current locality.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but are we talking about air-conditions that can be used as a heat-pump, or heat-pumps on there own? Or have I totally missed the boat...wouldn't be the first time.
    Hi Pap_sak,

A few options are on offer:
    1. Standalone heat-pumps (separate from storage tank);
    2. Integrated heat-pumps (with storage tank);
    3. Heat-recovery air-conditioners (HRAC)

You may have a point here, in that (1) & (2) may very well be managed by the plumbing trade in SA (not certain though), whereas (3) by the a/c trade.

Practically, all can be managed & installed by an a/c company, with perhaps final plumbing tie-ins seconded to that trade as required, to suit local laws.
    Last edited by desA; 22-Apr-10 at 05:55 AM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    we need to connect up to one of these units with one of my power quality instruments to watch the the load profile...then you can show people why you want to see these units...and how much money they will save.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by murdock View Post
    we need to connect up to one of these units with one of my power quality instruments to watch the the load profile...then you can show people why you want to see these units...and how much money they will save.
    I'm always open to these kinds of ideas. Tell me more about your power quality instruments & the load profile measurements.

Suspended
    Thanks
    a very important factor when calculating electricity consumption is power factor...in other words if you have a power factor of 1 it is ideal some cheap motors only have an effieciencies of 75% meaning the power factor is only .75

like energy saving lamps...the power factor of some of these units i have tested is around 0.2 you know what that means only a 20 % efficiency...anyway i am not here to bash anyones bright ideas...merly stating a documented fact.

back to what i can offer you is a print out of excatly how efficient your pumps are...by testing power factor...inrush current on start up and running current...using a class A instrument a fluke 435 one of the very few available in SA in fact i think i am the only private contractor who owns one of these instruments....i have used this instrument to do test for SABS to verify specifications for metering equipment at conlog.

you would be able to determine how long it takes to heat the water etc.

in other words i cna measure volts...amps...kw...kva...kvar...harmonics...etc etc.

i have instruments which run 24/7 at the moment monitoring loads for customers wanting to find out where there electricity bill is coming from...to assist with load balancing on 3 phase systems...i do a 24hr 7 day recording which will idicate if the load is balanced what is using the electricity and how to balance it to become more energy efficient.

i have electricians tell me but they checked the load with a current clamps meter and it seems balanced...it is extremely difficult to balance a 3 phase system which is made up of most single phase components.

you can do a load test using 1 current clamp if the machines in a factory for example have 3 pahse motors or balnced 3 phase loads...thats why my test equipment has 3 current clamps and the 435 has 4 current clamps for more acurate technical assesments.

and with the use of a fully radiometric infrared thermal imager we can tell you which part of the system is unbalnced before i even connect the current clamps and if there are any hot spots
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thermal image contactor.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	5.9 KB 
ID:	1186  

10. Thanks given for this post:

desA (22-Apr-10)

Thanks
    Thanks Murdoch. I'll read & re-read your post. It looks very interesting. I have a lot of time for thermal imaging - it can be very useful. I'll definitely get you to run some tests once the products reach SA. I can see an immediate use in further optimising the system internal energy transport.

My heat-pumps typically have a PF in the region of 0.985 or better, as measured in a climatic test chamber.

Remember, for home use, the customer is not affected by PF - in most countries, as they pay for kWh.

Thanks
    IOPSA.co.za should list all the sppliers to the plumbing industry!
    There should be the equivalant in the electrical industry?
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

13. Thanks given for this post:

desA (22-Apr-10)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast