Thread: Connections/junctions (again)

Silver Member
    Thanks

Connections/junctions (again)

Another question, still related to the connections in a roof/enclosing it blah blah....

Open wiring is legal, not preferable but legal. How do you make joints on open wiring.....by using a porcelain screw. This joint then is not in a box/enclosure?, yet, the term "open wiring" in my view is the entire system, not just the two wires, but everything you would normally use for open wiring. So, open wiring joints are in free air....no enclosure.....although you cannot touch the live part with the STF.....it is in theory legal......therefore I deduce that a joint in a roof can be done with no enclosures as long as you use a porcelain screw??????? Whats wrong with this statement?
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

Thanks
    6.3.7 Joints and terminations
    6.3.7.1 Joints and terminations of cables, cores and conductors shall be
    made in accordance with manufacturers' instructions or the
    appropriate part of SANS 10198. Flexible cables shall only be joined
    using cable couplers or manufacturers' jointing kits. All joints shall be accessible, protected against strain, and protected in accordance
    with 5.1.1
    , except for joints made and sealed permanently and intended
    to be maintenance free. Amdt 1; amdt 3; amdt 4; amdt 5

5.1.1 Live parts
    It shall not be possible to touch any live part within arm's reach with the
    standard test finger (see SANS 60529/IEC 60529) Amdt 5
    a) during normal operation, or
    b) when a cover is removed, unless the cover is removed with the use of
    a tool or a key.

The way i see it, you can remove a screw cap (porcelain midget) without tools, and 6.3.7 specifically refers to 5.1.1

The joint is also not protected against strain, as it can be separated quite easily at times. (depends on what day the screw connector was made )

What really bothers me is that you do need a tool to get into the roof in the first place.....
    Last edited by 123; 21-Apr-10 at 02:07 PM.
    If it is not broken, fix/test it until it is.
    This is my opinion and I stick to it.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    It still leaves the question about the open wiring method of installation. When the did open wiring, they supported the conductors by the connection by fixing the wires securely. Yes you can still use your fingers to unscrew the cap, but apart from that you need pliers or a screwdriver to remove the wires.

I also agree with you that you need a tool to get into the roof, like a ladder, and a torch, and a helper (3 tools).

What I am trying to say is......"open wiring" method is regarded as being legal, therefore the connections must still be legal on open wiring?
    IJS Installations

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I just want to throw this into the mix: If you did a connection with a Hellerman Tyton Helecon connector block (which carries a ridiculous amount of approvals including SABS), then the wires are not exposed, you cannot touch the live parts wit a 2.5mm test rod, they are mechanically strong and you need a tool to remove them........ Whats wrong with that picture
    IJS Installations

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.