Thread: Unknown Numbers is the new SPAM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Unknown Numbers is the new SPAM.

After about six "unknown number" phone calls I just disconnected my phone and switched it off. Basically it is fast becoming the new SPAM. You get a phone call and when you answer it you open a can of worms.

Sales people that work with the fake holiday promotions are your basic unknown number user. Then you get your stalker and just your random kids having fun BS. The problem is your important phone calls are the first to suffer and secondly you end up speaking to someone that wants to get illegal access to your private information and bank details.

Now the fun part of this Post is that all our server providers will protect these people “criminals” but not you the victim. They cannot identify the Unknown Number “so I was told by MTN” and basically they have no way to stop this new from of SPAM. So once again the criminal is enjoying all the protection and us the honest user are not getting any protection or help at all.

No, we have to go to the police and make a case, and then that case will get lost on someone’s desk and if you are lucky, within a few years or months you will get some feedback from them. So as mobile users I have the right to block any hostile number or person trying to do me harm “or so I thought” But in truth; I have the right to shut the hell up and deal with the BS every single day.

I honestly think it is time for the law makers to take into consideration that systems like these is open to abuse and start planning on ways so that they can protect the public.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Yup agreed. Whenever there is new legislation etc I take a deep breath. On the first appearance it has many benefits, when rolled out, all the pitfalls start showing up. Hey there has to be change, sure, but it just seems as the users, customers, people most affected never REALLY have a say..
    Garth

Electric fence Installation : www.midrand-electronics.co.za
    Free Classified Adds : www.bgone.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Telecommunications always had a bad attitude towards customers because they own the monopoly. See there is no competition so there is no need for customer protection, service or satisfaction. They don’t need us but we need them. I still say South Africans must start with a consumer strike. I can tell you one thing the amount of money they will lose in 1 day “if no one uses them” will be phenomenal then imagine a week without anyone using their service. The money they will lose would be mindboggling
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Telecommunications always had a bad attitude towards customers because they own the monopoly. See there is no competition so there is no need for customer protection, service or satisfaction. They don’t need us but we need them. I still say South Africans must start with a consumer strike. I can tell you one thing the amount of money they will lose in 1 day “if no one uses them” will be phenomenal then imagine a week without anyone using their service. The money they will lose would be mindboggling
    As it would be for the customers doing the strike. if a whole bunch of people boycott, that's a whole lot of unreachable numbers, and a whole caboodle of people who won't do their job because they're "making a difference"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    There are always two sides to every coin. Fact is the Telecommunication industry is rotten and only a healthy competitive market will allow for proper change. Imagine competition that is able to give competitive internet that is sustainable for cheaper and things will change.

The fact is, is how bad do "we the public" want change? What did we do before mobile phones? You say people will be lazy because they will be un-reachable... no... In almost every “home policing” program we have, runs on two-way radios. This very old technology has evolved to the point where it is really cost effective and cheaper than “mobile phones”

I think people just got lazy but the truth is this technology if used correctly is very powerful and is still used in “sector policing” across our city. A lot of gardening services use them and bus services in our aria. It is really not a bad technology but is somewhat forgotten.
    peace is a state of mind