Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: History not to be taught in our schools

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, I don’t believe in a church because people always want to point out that I am a clot. Then they will slam the good book down and belittle me even more by my so-called “lack of understanding” It is always my shortcomings that ends up in the spotlight.

Well I have become accustomed to ridicule and in the end I just thought it foolish because if people can make someone bad simply because they “will” it or “play you” for a fool then they are not using their intelligence correctly.

Belittling and gloating is the worst form of sarcasm. So I don’t particularly care if I burn in hell I hope I make for some entertainment for the many devils and demons. Why do I say this? Simple, people like yourself works with a simple law: “If you are not with me you are against me” and If am “against” you then I must be evil right?

Sorry but I learned a vital truth. My life was given to me and I will use it as I see fit. I don’t have to please you or explain my actions or point out the “good” that I do. Like history, religion became a weapon that no one is allowed to question. History has showed us that greed is as old as a lock and key. Not to mention that innocent women was executed by order of the church so that their land could be taken.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    But tec0, you once again have a circular argument - you said that:

Belittling and gloating is the worst form of sarcasm. So I don’t particularly care if I burn in hell I hope I make for some entertainment for the many devils and demons. Why do I say this? Simple, people like yourself works with a simple law: “If you are not with me you are against me” and If am “against” you then I must be evil right?

...yet this is exactly what you do.

You are so angry...

Look, I don't believe in religion and all that jazz either, and that is why I quoted Zeitgeist - not because of their views on politics but because of their views on religion - somehow you got stuck on part 2 of the documentary, which is odd because we have been talking about religion all along.

Anyway, humanity gives itself far to much credit, we are not the best thing since sliced bread and we are not as worthy of eternal life as we think we are.

To get back to where we started - wars have been fought over many issues, land, politics, skin colour, greed, religion, to help a friendly country or simply to piss somebody else off. You carry on about the Catholics and the little boys, yes there are some really bad priests, but then there are bad teachers, doctors, policemen, average women and men and Joe soap that strips his mo_r one night and kills his entire family. The bottom line is that you have to keep an open mind and not be a bigot yourself.

Should history and religion be taught in school, it doesn't really matter if it is or not. I have 2 daughters, 9 & 11 and we do homework with them every day. We talk about issues ranging from science & technology to boys, religion, politics, love hate, sex, music, good, bad and anything else that comes to mind. My girls are very bright and have very open minds (where open minds means looking at issues from different perspectives), they can think for themselves and they can make intelligent decisions. My duty as a parent is to enable my kids to be open minded, clear thinking, self reliant individuals. I am raising adults, not children.

When I was 16 I told the dominie that I don't want to hear his stories - he said something to me that stayed with me all my life, he said: "allow me to show you what I believe and then you decide for yourself". You see, you are influenced by what you allow to influence you, you don't have to only rely on the schools version of events - your kids can read alternative histories and learn about other religions. You have the library, internet and the older generation available to learn from, why not use the tools available to you to open your mind a little.

To put it bluntly, the reason that teaching history and religion in school is a problem is because parents are too damned stupid and lazy to show their children the big world beyond the little minds of the parent themselves.

And finally a profound quote about leadership and parenting:

"Good leaders (parents) have open minds,
    Great leaders (parents) open the minds of others"
    Last edited by adrianh; 29-Apr-10 at 10:28 PM.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (01-May-10)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Angry, yes I am angry because I have seen enough to convince me that the world is not a good place. I question motive, and it is our duty do question motive because there are people that have motives and these motives always dictate behaviour.

Once you understand that motives and behaviour goes hand in hand then you will see that action is always connected to motives and behaviours. So for me it is important to identify motive when it comes to religion, history, society and general education.
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Motive and behaviour does not always go hand in hand. A lot of things are done without motive. When a mo_r is stripped instantaneously or when drunk drivers kills a lot of kids with their cars, I can assure there was no motive, in the first case; just mental instability and in the second case; blatant stupidity.

The fact of the matter remains that you choose to believe whatever you want, whatever the motive of the other party.

The motive behind the way all those things are taught is to shape society to the need of the reigning regime - but we all know that anyway, and jumping up and down ain't going to change it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    When a person drives to a bar his intention is to drink alcohol. He has no sober diver with him thus his intention is to drive home intoxicated. Motive: To get drunk and drive home intoxicated full knowing “because he is licensed” that it is illegal to drink alcohol and drive.

He gets drunk “intention realized” now his behaviour will be altered due to the alcohol and he causes an “accident” and the children are dead. Now his behaviour was dictated by his motive and that was do drive to the bar get drunk and drive back.

Now his action “accidental or not” was dictated by his motive and behaviour. That’s why it is considered “murder” if you are intoxicated and driving a car and causes an accident .
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Road rage or “strip jou m_er” while driving can be a mental condition or the cause of stress that allowed for temporary insanity. But if the condition is realised and not treated then the game changes and you can still be held accountable simply because you where diagnosed with the problem and you didn’t want to accept treatment for whatever personal reason.

However if you did accept treatment and the treatment was not working than the person giving the treatment must justify his or her Motive “but in South Africa road rage is still a touchy subject for our law makers." Normally you get charged with assault anyway so...
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Eish dude...It must be great to have all the answers.

I prefer to stick to "$hit happens - deal with it"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I prefer to stick to "$hit happens - deal with it"
    Ah well with that I can agree.

And no I don’t have all the answers. If I did I would have been a Freemason with a nice new Lexus and a position of power at some large Mining group.

Peace
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Who said the Freemasons had all the answers. Just remember that when people face great danger or imminent death they more often than not shout " Oh Lord please help me".
    In those circumstances I doubt whether this is just a figure of speech.
    Butch Hannan

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It took a while but now we are on the same page. Yes people will scream those words probably out of desperation and hope that they would not suffer the coming events. How many of those people were rescued by let’s say “divine” intervention?

Now I will be honest with you. In modern times there was only 2 accounts that that I know off. Now that sounds wonderful but what about the millions of unanswered cries for help? Not to mention the horrible crimes that happen to those that cannot protect themselves.

See I don’t believe in “divinity” in the same way you do. Now that is not to say I don’t believe... It is just I know that it is every person from him or herself. Now in all probability I am wrong in saying that but the statement above reflects my experiences not yours.

It is because of my “personal” life-lessons that I say we need to ban history and religion because these systems are not being used correctly. I am not saying that religion and history is bad. I am saying that it being abused at this point in time. Now you may not agree with me but it doesn’t change the facts as shown in my previous posts.
    peace is a state of mind

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast