Thread: The term: "Electrical Installation" means what?

Thanks

The term: "Electrical Installation" means what?

Another classic issue today. Did the inspection/test few weeks ago, gave the owner of the building a report/quotation today on what needs to be attended to before a valid CoC can be issued. His reaction?

Remove all unsafe/non-compliant wiring. I politely declined. He informed ever so politely that I must do another inspection on Monday, as he will remove all the non-compliant wiring himself, as it is his property, and as per my report/quotation.

No I ask with tears in my excrement brown eyes, what does the "electrical installation" consists of on Monday? If he removes/disconnects/go mad with a side cutter the existing wiring/fixtures do I quote to re-install? Or do I inspect the existing (remaining) installation?
    If it is not broken, fix/test it until it is.
    This is my opinion and I stick to it.

Thanks
    I think common sense is the way to go. If the non-compliant sections have been disconnected and look like they'll be reconnected when you've left then I wouldn't give the certificate and I would state that as the reason. Insist they remove entirely or I suppose you can state on the COC that certain circuits were not connected at the time of testing.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,678 Times in 2,259 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this for the sale of a property?

If the COC is required for the sale of a property, the purchaser is entitled to receive all the light points, plug points, fixed appliances etc. that were there when he/she viewed the property. Technically not our problem as electrical contractors, but it could hurt your reputation if you're not mindful of it.

I believe we also work on the principle that if a light point or plug point is there, it must work. Of course this does not extend to fixed appliances where we require only that there is power to the appliances point of supply. For example, if the fan is broken, so be it.

Some agencies do require us to test and report problems with fixed appliances, but it's by special request - not default procedure, and obviously isn't a COC issue.

Some sellers can be absolute swine at times. All they want is their money and out of there.
    Last edited by Dave A; 20-Apr-10 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    Well as expected, most wiring was cut off at the conduit, db side and point of outlet side. all point blanked off. Some light fixtures were removed and neatly blanked off at the inspection box with screws and all.

ps. I did the inspection on the "existing wiring". What bothers me is the legal definition of the term "electrical installation" which states:

"electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises, including any article forming part of such an electrical installation irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical circuit, but excluding (a) any machinery of the supplier related to the supply of electricity on the premises; (b) any machinery which transmits electrical energy in communication, control circuits, television or radio circuits;
    (e) an electrical installation on a vehicle, vessel, train or aircraft; and (d) control circuits of 50 V or less between different parts of machinery or system components, forming a unit, that are separately installed and derived from an independent source or an isolating transformer;

ps. Yes the property is for resale.
    If it is not broken, fix/test it until it is.
    This is my opinion and I stick to it.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 123 View Post
    "electrical installation" means any machinery, in or on any premises, used for the transmission of electricity from a point of control to a point of consumption anywhere on the premises, including any article forming part of such an electrical installation irrespective of whether or not it is part of the electrical circuit, but excluding (a) any machinery of the supplier related to the supply of electricity on the premises; (b) any machinery which transmits electrical energy in communication, control circuits, television or radio circuits;
    (e) an electrical installation on a vehicle, vessel, train or aircraft; and (d) control circuits of 50 V or less between different parts of machinery or system components, forming a unit, that are separately installed and derived from an independent source or an isolating transformer;

ps. Yes the property is for resale.
    Whats done is done, you cant change that. Just make sure you cover yourself!!! Take pictures of all the cut off points, and write it on the COC: Mechanically and electrically disconnected light in bathroom, cable from db to light, light in kitchen, cable from db to kitchen etc. If it is mechanicall and electrically disconnected, it cannot form part of the installation as it would have to be "re-installed" to make it work.....as I see it anyway.
    IJS Installations
    Electrical, Residential Gas and Electric fencing.

6. Thanks given for this post:

123 (20-Apr-10)